Grapevine Trail System- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Grapevine Trail System

All,
    Good evening. I recently moved back to the DFW area and live just a mile or two from Grapevine Lake trail system. I remember riding these trails back in the day when it was half its length and bi-directional. Hats off to all who have picked up a shovel and made it into what it is today! I recently rode the network this past weekend and while the loop is amazing and it really handles major traffic well, I was very surprised that the trail doesn't allow different directions on different days. I moved from the Denver area and there are a few trails up there that x amount of days you ride in one direction and then the other days...its flipped. With as much traffic that I saw the other weekend, the wear and tear is pretty significant which is I expect would be normal in dry continuous with countless bikes and trails runners. Have you heard of any reason why they don't allow the trail to be worn in, in both directions? I would envision that it would be healthier and sustain the trails longer while also mixing up the flow and techniques for the riders. I thought about posting these questions on Dorba but from what I gather, while a great site, there isn't much traffic. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again to those who have really turned these trails into a great XC network!

Z

mtbr member
    That's a good point, I wondered the same thing at a park here in Frisco. Walkers one way and bikers the other.

I'm interested to hear the reasoning and also wanting to get back over to Grapevine, it's been 15 years for me.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    If you ever get a chance to ride Frisco backwards at night, do it. The trail flows so much better going in reverse.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by csmoot26 View Post
    If you ever get a chance to ride Frisco backwards at night, do it. The trail flows so much better going in reverse.
    Should have done it tonight, had the park to myself, it was strange. Don't know where everyone was, trail was dry from the morning rain.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    You failed to mention what trail that you're talking about. However, these trails are frequently ridden backwards at night. Right of way is given to those going in the signed direction.

Northshore rides counter-clock wise and Horseshoe rides clock wise.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Magically Delicious
    An Update....

Fall is established and soon, it will common to head to the trails after work with lights ready for an evening ride. I always look forward to night riding after work. Additionally, I look forward to riding the trails backwards.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    An Update....

Fall is established and soon, it will common to head to the trails after work with lights ready for an evening ride. I always look forward to night riding after work. Additionally, I look forward to riding the trails backwards.
    Good, then I shall bring my lights, in two weeks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Good, then I shall bring my lights, in two weeks.
    You plan to be in the DFW area in two weeks?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    You plan to be in the DFW area in two weeks?
    16th-25th, will start in DFW, end up in SA, will ride all in between. I know there's an enduro race, but I've gotten plenty of enduro action this year, so I'm bringing my XC FS rig.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Here, diagonally!
    I'm down for a night ride at Grapevine if y'all are looking for a 3rd. I ride Northshore in the standard direction, but I'm fine with whatever. The West side is real good right now, it's been eroding out for a while, so there are some parts that are real challenging to clear (for me anyway). I'm sure with all the houses they are building out there it will be getting groomed any day now.

Also Isle Du Bois is even better IMO, although it is a bit of a drive north.
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    The West side is real good right now, it's been eroding out for a while, so there are some parts that are real challenging to clear (for me anyway). I'm sure with all the houses they are building out there it will be getting groomed any day now.
    Are you actually referring to the WEST side or the EAST side. Most of the erosion has been on the east side and that's where the new housing and building is going on. Mostly near the Rockledge end.

The west side is Loops 5, 6 and 7. Loops 5, 6 and 7 are more technical than Loops 1 through 4 on the east side.

Here, diagonally!
    I'm talking about the west side. Over at Twin Coves Park, in between the 2nd and 3rd road crossings I believe, and in a few places prior to the road crossings. I don't really know the loop numbers though. The east side in general seems pretty groomed to me with the cornering berms and all. They added the optional small jumps here and there which is cool. No complaints though, it's a great trail for DFW. I just hope they leave some spots chunky and "messed up" since we have so many smooth trails around here.

Yes the small run down by Rockledge is kind of eroded or whatever due to the flooding, which I happen to like. I might be missing something; I've only done the east side twice in the last 6 months, but did ride it Sunday from the Madd center to Rockledge and back.
    Is it blue on one side and white on the other or did you buy two of whatever that is?

Magically Delicious
    Ok, cool, so you like the west side. That's my favorite. I forgot about Loop 7. That's the newest 'loop' that runs along Twin Coves up to Wichita Trail and back to loop 6. It used to be an out n back and now a loop.

I rode everything except loop 7 on Saturday. The rocks on 6 can be a little slippery when damp. Worse than the roots. They were damp on Saturday.

Here, diagonally!
    Yeah west side definitely. There are a few tech climbs that are pretty sick for DFW. The one out of the sand pit is always a crapshoot for me.

By the way, on Sunday I rode with 2 friends that hate the west side so we rode east. And my buddy actually managed to break his fibula. Can't drive for 4-6 weeks and may need screws. There is a steep climb maybe 10 minutes past Rockledge, and it was wet with an exposed root...he slipped and stalled near the top and tumbled down the hill. Unfortunately he couldn't get his foot unclipped which is basically what caused the injury.

Magically Delicious
    Yeah west side definitely. There are a few tech climbs that are pretty sick for DFW. The one out of the sand pit is always a crapshoot for me.

There is a steep climb maybe 10 minutes past Rockledge,

When you say "past Rockledge", do you mean riding NW from Rockledge towards the main entrance and MADD? As if you started from Rockledge. I think of the Sand Pit as the Pit Drop. Is that where it happened?

Here, diagonally!
    Yeah his wreck was not too far from Rockledge heading back toward MADD. Right turn down into a (sometimes?) water crossing, then a steep up. Gravel and some sand down there. Used to be a hard drop into it a few years back, but they re-routed it at some point.

The sand pit I was referring to is on the West side. Lake on left, through the sand which drags you down, then right turn up the rock climb. Problem being you start up the climb at low speed.

Magically Delicious
    I'm thinkin' where he crashed is what I'm calling the Pit Drop. You drop into a deep ravine, across the water crossing and keep your momentum up the perpendicular roots up the other side. Momentum is your friend here.

I think I know what you're referring to the Sand Pit on the west side.

mtbr member
    West si-eeeed!
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Here, diagonally!
    Quote Originally Posted by bamwa View Post
    West si-eeeed!
    Great place to ride.

Also heard shouted out the window during gang-related drive-by shootings.

mtbr member

By the way, on Sunday I rode with 2 friends that hate the west side so we rode east. And my buddy actually managed to break his fibula. Can't drive for 4-6 weeks and may need screws. There is a steep climb maybe 10 minutes past Rockledge, and it was wet with an exposed root...he slipped and stalled near the top and tumbled down the hill. Unfortunately he couldn't get his foot unclipped which is basically what caused the injury.
    Sounds familiar....

Magically Delicious
    That looks like the Pit Drop heading back to Boy Scout from Rockledge on Loop 4?