Good shops in Houston?- Mtbr.com
    Soft AND Tender
    Jun 2005

New question here. Good shops in Houston?

I'm travelling to Houston this week and want to check out some of the good local shops. Any suggestions or favorites?

mtbr member
    I like Bike Lane on FM1960 and just west of I-45, really nice people, but I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

Aug 2005
    Daniel Boone Cycles has real nice stuff. It is a family store in a old house.

http://www.danielboonecycles.com

used to be uno-speedo....
    West End Cycles and The Urban Bicycle Gallery (both 2 mins east of Memorial Park) are two good shops. West End has a huge vintage museum to drool over. Rent a bike and hit the trails at MP. Short but fun.

MCF
    mtbr member

West End is good.....

but don't get confused and go to West U Shwinn...by far the worst shop ever...run by a gambling addict that has a bunch of high school punks that think they are 'downhill' cool guys.....you go in asking if they have a large frame and they will reply, "No, but we have a small..how is that?" Also, I asked them if they could grease some pivots once on a bike they sold and they told me to pull the shafts and bring them and they will stick them in a bucket of grease for me....WEST U - SUX... WEST END - GOOD!!

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    I have not bought anything but tubes etc at Bike Barn but I do like them. On Westheimer. They carry Specialized, Trek, Gary Fisher, and maybe a couple more.

www.bikebarn.com

Also, If you want to check out Scott, Marin, or Haro, go to any of the Sun and Ski Sports.

www.sunandski.com

mtbr member
    Don't get too excited over the local Houston shops. There are a few quality shops but don't expect to much along the lines of mid to high end parts inventory. You can get some of the basics but there just isn't that big a mtb deman in the Houston area. They can all order stuff, but so can anybody else with a computer.

Shops I like for what its worth:
    Bike Sport - more of a road shop, but still decent for parts and service
    Bike Barn - hit or miss on the sales staff, but decent bike inventory

Aug 2005
    I agree with him ^

Daniel Boone Cycles can get high end mountain bike stuff anytime but they don't stock it because it doesnt sell like the road bikes. Although they do try and have 10 MTB in stock at all times, and 2 of those are FS rest are hardtail.

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by string
    Don't get too excited over the local Houston shops. There are a few quality shops but don't expect to much along the lines of mid to high end parts inventory.
    explain...because at both West End and Bikesport you can get any high end part anytime...now if your talking about them having a set of Reynolds carbon fiber cyclocross wheelsets or a MOOTS ybb in your size in stock you might be disappointed. shops can move a lot more $500 bikes out the door faster than that chi-chi $4000 window dressing.

I've no problems with either shop listed not having a part that i need in stock from a 03 XTR right BB cup to a mavic ksyrium drive-side spoke to a magura brake bleed kit in stock on a sunday afternoon. just dont expect any of the shops to be able to service your downhill fork on the spot tho'

i will agree with the guy and west u. schwinn avoid that place

MCF
    mtbr member

Yeah....

Bikesport is good...better then West End....but let me re-iterate - WEST U SHWINN SUX A BIG DONKEY D***!!!! By far the worst bike shop....tries to sell brands they are only authorized to sell in Houston on Ebay and will literally try to sell you the wrong size frame just to make a sale....

Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MCF
    By far the worst bike shop....tries to sell brands they are only authorized to sell in Houston on Ebay and will literally try to sell you the wrong size frame just to make a sale....
    i recall when the santa cruz blur came out and i had a friend that wanted one well...only west u is a dealer for the entire city...ever notice how you don't see too many SC bikes in Houston for being such a popular brand? anyway...she went in there with cash in hand to buy one well they gave her the lil'miss kinda routine "hunny maybe you should get a comfort bike" anyway this accomplished woman racer got fed up with the antics and got what she wanted in Dallas at mad duck

Where's the chair lift?

Good job! Bike Shops in Houston.

Just to add a little something here, the Sun & Ski Sports Bike Shop on Westheimer and the FM1960 location have some dam good mechanics most with 10-20 years exp. in the bike biz. Like some of the other postings say, not every shop can stock everything. It just cost too much to do that, especially when technolgy changes so quick in this biz. I know they can get just about any part there is as long as there isnt a dealer restriction on it and its in stock. They can stuff for XC, 4X, DH, Freeride, Road, Comfort, etc.. Just make sure you speak to someone in the bike shop. Shop mgr. or service mgr. They will tend to know more about how to get what you want. Bob at the Westhiemer location is i great mechanic and has been doing it for years. Working on pro-rider bikes and all the other general bikes you see out and about. Very honest and straight to the point. Anyway, the shops have been getting really good about getting goods and taking care of their customers! Like i said.. Talk to the bike guys in the bike shop! Mark and Rob at 1960 location, Bob, Billy and Jason at the Westhiemer location. Great bunch of guys and they try hard to make things happen. I have had nothing but good things done by them.

They sell
    Scott USA, Marin, Haro, Bianchi, Ellsworth, Titus and Rocky Mountain. Marzocchi, Fox Shox, Industry Nine Wheels, Mavic, Shimano, SRAM, Campy, Easton etc..etc.. See there website www.sunandski.com go to the bike area and roll your pointer over the side navigation to see all the how to features, bleeding disc brakes, bike maint, products etc.. More stuff than any other local shop has, thats for sure!!!

Boones Cycles is cool, Bike Sport, B.Barn on Westhiemer (Talk to Mark if you go there)

Happy bike shop hunting and Happy Holidays all!
    EMan!
    www.Industrynine.net (Awesome Wheels!)

Aug 2005
    If you check out Boones talk to Jeff, Steve, or Donny. Joy (the owner) is go to have a convo with.

Donny or Jeff will be the ones to order you anything and know the most about everything. Steve and Jeff are the machanics. Jeff has over 20yrs in bike and is one of houston's best machanics. Great family shop. Can't beat the service

Aug 2005

West End

I agree wtih Uno-Speedo. West End is a great mom and pop shop. It's cool to look around at the classic bikes. The owner's name is Daniel, and he is a great guy. They are all very knowledgable in there with some good mechanics. Plus you are really close to Memorial Park, wich for my money are the most fun trails in the area.

Bike Barn is also good, knoledgabe staff and a big selection.

mtbr member

not one in 2 years

I have yet to find a really good shop since Bike Barn bought out Champions Cyclery 2 years ago. Now I mostly go to West End, more out of convienience than anything. They are a 1/2 mile away.

Jan 2006
    Another vote for Daniel Boone Cycles here, although I'm a little biased as I'm on their MTB team this spring.

It is a really cool little shop, located right in a museum district neighborhood in the back of an old house, you really need to know where it is to find it though, there is a cool bike sculpture out the front but it is easy to miss. They have a surprising amount of gear in stock as well although as stated previously they don't have that many mountain bikes on the floor.

I like shopping there as I know I'm not going to get any dopey sales assistant getting in my face and can just take my time but when I do have a question then there is expert help available, likewise if I just want to chat about biking then I can do that as well. I bought my first road bike there (Specialized Roubaix Elite Triple) and Donny really has gone the extra mile in getting it fitted properly for me.

moaaar shimz
    Which of all the shops you've mentioned have full face helmets and what helmets do they have? (fox/azonic/tld/giro?)

Aug 2005
    I think Pearland cycles would have them in stock but i dont know. I know Daniel Boone Cycles can order one for you but they dont stock them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Which of all the shops you've mentioned have full face helmets and what helmets do they have? (fox/azonic/tld/giro?)
    Most shops in Houston aren't going to carry FF helmets (or any other freeride type stuff) though some do have some pads in stock. I've heard that Off Road Peddler (ORP) stocks FF helmets and even has some nice TLD lids.

moaaar shimz
    Does Off Road Peddler have a website I can visit? I urgently need a FF helmet such as Azonic/Fox/Giro

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Anyone know anything about Blue Line Cycle Laboratory? They appear to be the only shop in the area to carry Iron Horse bikes.

mtbr member
    I just ordered a Giro Remedy from go-ride.com. (rode it the first time Saturday morning till it got too hot). It is a little hard to order one with out trying on, but you can use the size of your current helmet plus your head measurement to give you a pretty good idea of what fits. Give Go-ride a call and they can do a pretty good job helping you pick the right helmet plus they have a pretty large inventory.

I would be suprised if you are going to find much selection locally. Maybe a few hear and there, but not much.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tacubaya
    Does Off Road Peddler have a website I can visit? I urgently need a FF helmet such as Azonic/Fox/Giro

Thanks

http://www.orpbmx.com/

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    I haven't been by the shop, but have seen their myspace website. Seems like they really love their 20" bikes. I need to go bike by there sometime.

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    So does anyone know of any Redline dealers in Houston? Cyclone cycles on kirby/sheridan look closed, and I know that West U cycles is gone, soon to be replaced by Bicycle World. I'm looking to try out a 15" Monocog 29er.

mtbr member
    West End guys are retro-grouches so I might look elsewhere for a FF helmet.

I agree that S&Ski Westheimer has good mechanics and Bike Sport is an all around great shop. For good MTB shops go to Austin.
    Last edited by DoktorNo; 06-29-2006 at 08:40 AM.
    "I swear, as God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

MC Hammer
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayCommutr
    So does anyone know of any Redline dealers in Houston? Cyclone cycles on kirby/sheridan look closed, and I know that West U cycles is gone, soon to be replaced by Bicycle World. I'm looking to try out a 15" Monocog 29er.
    Cyclone moved, give them a call at 713-668-2104 for directions to their new location, I think Bikesport(?) might be a Redline dealer as well

Wheel building addict.
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DoktorNo
    West End guys are retro-grouches so I might look elsewhere for a FF helmet.

I agree that S&Ski Westheimer has good mechanics and Bike Sport is an all around great shop. For good MTB shops go to Austin.
    S&S Westheimer may have good mechanics, but don't count on all their sales staff to know anything about what's on sale or bikes. I was perusing the shoe sale rack and saw some Dominators that were on deep discount. They met the criteria of the .9x ending, and fell under thhe clearance discount. I guy comes up to me and says, "You know those aren't on sale right?" I said thanks and went on my way to the register to get the discount, after I had to tell the cashier to ring up the discount. I'd been eyeing these shoes for a few months already caus S&S always lets shoes go after a while.

Another time this guy was trying to sell my wife a marin Muirwoods because it's an 'Urban" bike, which it is, but he went on to explain to us all of the urban hucking, stair gapping, etc that the Muirwoods was capable of. We already had a Muirwoods sitting in the garage, so I just let him go on with his spiel. He also tried to sell my friends a 26" wheel bike when I told him they wanted a 700c hybrid. He looked at the wheels and said, "that's not a 700c?"

The mechanics may be great, but when I go to the register and they ask was anyone helping you, I sadly always say, "No." S&S has some great clearances that I have to parttake despite some of my shopping experiences. Can't beat a Cinelli Alter Stem for $10....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EverydayCommutr

http://thirdcoastbikes.com/

Best wrench in town is dennis quick, hes the only guy I let touch my bikes. Make sure you call before stopping by to make sure he is actually there.

h-town hucker
    I reccomend Bicycle World and Fitness on Dairy Ashford. they just bought West University Cycles also. and West End would be after them.

honestly, if you can work on a bike yourself, that would be the best. only go to the bike shops to buy the bike, or if i know someone really well that works there, to order parts.

Members who have read this thread: 0