Good Mtb'ing in Houston?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Good Mtb'ing in Houston?

I will be in Houston for a couple of days. Is there any good rides around or near by or should I just bring my road bike?

mtbr member
    The trails are houston are not great compared to many places but still fun for urban twisty single track. Not much elevation gain but some nice short steep ups and down.

The primary "in town" trails are Memorial Park and the Ant Hills.

See the attached link for more info:
    http://www.ghorba.org/

MC Hammer
    What side of town are you going to be on?

mtbr member
    Close to Bush airport. Any place to rent bikes?

mtbr member
    if your on the south side, (which Bush is.....) You gotta hit up Jack Brooks, best stuff in Houston, period.

Jul 2006
    Closest thing to IAH is Cypresswood Trails. As far as I know anyway. I'm not much of an XC'er anymore. From IAH, go West on Beltway 8 to I-45. I-45 North to Cypresswood. Exit and turn left/West on Cypresswood. Follow it down for a good ways until you cross Kuykendahl (Pronounced Kirk-en-Dall). Once you cross it, the woods are on your left. You'll cross a little side street called Strack. After you cross strack start looking for a small little parking area on your left. It's almost like a dead end street. You know the type where the begin a street but only pave 20 feet of it and then stop. You can park there and explore the trails. I've heard that the owner is logging the property right now so you may not be able to ride. Check out www.ghorba.com might be www.ghorba.org

The area is flat. Just a few little ups and downs. Sandy, rooty, twisty single track.

Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rocpyro
    if your on the south side, (which Bush is.....) You gotta hit up Jack Brooks, best stuff in Houston, period.
    Bush Intercontinental Airport is actually on the far north side of town (Hobby Airport is on the south side). But you're right, Jack Brooks is a must. Just take the Beltway 8 loop west and then south down to I-45 South. Exit I-45 at exit 15 (if I recall correctly). From there it gets a little tricky, but the trail review pages here have a good description of how to get there.

MC Hammer
    I don't know of too many shops around here that rent bikes, although you might check with a shop called Bikeland............I think I may have heard something about them having some Specialized bikes available for demos, for a fee of course.

Bush is on the North side of town (same as Bikeland) so if you decided to stay North you can just pick up the bike there. As for trails you're pretty limited on that side of town though. Cypresswood is up north but has some land owner issues right now and I'm not even sure it's still rideable (haven't been there in months). You could also drive further up north and head to Hunstville State Park (aprrox 60miles out)

I've never ridden JB.

Personally I think you best choice would be MP, it's smack in the middle of town so it won't be too much of a drive from the North.........look up West End bikes to see if they do rentals since they're pretty close to the trails.

Feb 2006
    West End does do rentals. Another option for the north side of town is Double Lake up near Cold Springs. A little closer than Huntsville, and probably only about 30-45 minutes from IAH.

MC Hammer
    I agree on the Double Lake suggestion, but a 30-45min drive is a pretty agressive estimate. I don't think it's possible, you're looking at a minimum of an hour and half to Double Lake from IAH

Feb 2006
    You're right. Taking 59 North, it takes me between 1.25 and 1.5 hours to get to Double Lake from my house at I-10 and Shepherd. It usually takes me about 25 minutes to get to IAH and 45 - 60 minutes from there to Double Lake. I do drive a little faster than average, but nothing extreme...

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks for all your help.

Members who have read this thread: 0