Good beginner trails in Cedar Park, TX? (North Austin)- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Good beginner trails in Cedar Park, TX? (North Austin)

I'm just getting back into riding after a few years off (and a few pounds gained). Are there any good dirt path trails in Cedar Park that someone could recommend? I used to be an avid rider so I would say that my skill level now is about that of an advanced beginner (if that makes any sense), so I'm basically looking for some long flowing trails to get back in shape on, nothing techy or rocky.

Thanks!

- matt
    "Are you a girl? Keep that huge ass and deal with it. Are you a guy? Ride your bike more. You disgust me."

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Good beginner trails in Cedar Park, TX? (North Austin)

Brushy creek. Park at the ymca. Do a quick Google search. Good trails in there access is along paved path. Trail can be as hard as you want it to be. Plenty of chicken out spots and exits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks for the info!
    Do you know of any groups that get together in this area? Maybe even at the Brushy Creek trails?
    "Are you a girl? Keep that huge ass and deal with it. Are you a guy? Ride your bike more. You disgust me."

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Definitely Brushy Creek. You can either park at the YMCA like Mallard75 said or park at the sports park off Brushy Creek blvd over near the skate park. If you park there, go along the trail next to the soccer field to the paved trail and go right. There is a bridge to cross and immediately look for a trail to the left. Take that, it's called Mulligan for what will very soon be obvious. At the end, there is a big chute. That may be a bit much for someone who hasn't ridden in a few years, take the first branch down the hill.

Take a left after the hill to go under the train tracks. Keep going a few hundred yards and start looking for trails off to your right when the tree cover starts thinning out to a field. Take that. This is called Picnic. Stay to the left when you first start and then take your first right. This lets you bypass a drop you aren't ready yet and let's you go along Brushy Creek itself. After that, don't take any branches to the right, keep taking the loop around to the left. Headed back towards the beginning of this loop, you will see some jumps to the right, these will be a blast after you start getting your skill set back after some time back on a bike.

When you get back to the paved hike and bike, you can go directly across the path to a trail called barn. Barn is very short and will drop you off at the beginning of Deception. Deception gets harder after about 3 1/2 miles in to it. Walk what you can't ride. The first section of Deception is a little bit tougher than what you just rode, but far from what most would call advanced. If you are trying to get back in shape both fitness wise and skill wise, this is exactly what you need. This part is purposely easier than the advanced later section is and there is a bail out back to the paved trail where it gets harder. Some land marks before you get there are various nautical plush toys stuck on plants to guide your way, a skinny wooden bridge and a large stack of rocks at the bailout spot that has broken bike parts all over it called Swag Rock. Take the branch to the right at Swag Rock to get back to the hike and bike. If you don't you will have a bad time until you build your skills and fitness up again. It gets much harder. Take a right to get back to the sports park and a left to get back to the YMCA where the bailout meets the paved trail. You can also go straight across to go to a branch back to Picnic. This is part of what is called Picnic X.

Bring plenty of hydration, a helmet and don't get discouraged by things you can't ride. Don't be afraid to get off and walk things you aren't ready for. Look at it and visualize what you need to do to get over that obstacle and work your way up to it. Just remember that the more you ride, the faster you will get in shape. Intervals (push hard for ten minutes, ride slow for two) are the best way to lose weight and burn fat on a bike.

Here is a pretty popular meetup.com group. You should also look up Walnut Creek over by Parmer and Lamar closer to Parmer and I35. That place may be more what you are looking for. More of a beginner trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Drop in the peddler bike shop on parmer and talk to AJ. You might check on bike mojo forum as well. Just be prepared that some of those guys are elitist douches there. Don't let it scare you off.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Walnut is probably a good option as well

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Austin mountain bike meet up has had beginner rides at brushy

Red October
    Brushy Creek is what you make of it, Picnic, and Mulligan are just a good time, my kids follow me along there, Deception is long, winding, up and down, and if you ride it hard, it will eat your lunch. Its without a doubt my favorite trail system in Austin. I agree with the recommendation to hit up Peddler, I love those guys.

Walnut Creek is down in North Austin proper, over near the Parmer/35 Intersection. its pretty crowded these days, lots of walkers and doggies, so be careful and dont go nuts there. There is also a trail and path network that connects the Nut to destinations west that is eternally almost finished, but I live over near 183/McNeil and I can ride the whole way there and back now with literally 1/2 mile of road. good stuff.

Enjoy!!
    Bicycles are the physical manifestation of freedom
    fb me ig

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What's the route for that? I live in that same area right behind the Volvo dealership on pond springs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thank for the replies guys (and the awesome write-up MrMentallo)!

I'll fill up my camelbak with some h20 and go exploring on the Brushy Creek trails and see whats what.
    I am looking for some long trails (doing loops is not an issue) so it looks like the interconnections on Brusky Creek will allow me to mix it up for a few hours.
    I live right off the ACC campus on cypress creek; so I can even ride there and back, that's an awesome added bonus for Brushy Creek.
    2 kids, new job and school are leaving me with some stress I need to find an outlet for, so finding a trail so close to home is awesome!
    If anyone wants a riding buddy to meet-up at Brushy Creek shoot me a PM! I'm planning on making Brushy Creek a multi-times-a-week habit(every weekend for sure).

Thanks again guys!

- matt