Going to be in El Paso- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Going to be in El Paso

Hey guys, I live in New Hampshire but I'm going down to El Paso to meet my girlfriend's family for Christmas. There are some bikes at her parent's house and she wants to go riding.

Since I don't know the area at all I'd like some suggestions. My girlfriend has only ridden on paved trials before, so I'd like to take her someplace that is not very difficult and rather flat.

If I'd get the chance I'd like to check out someplace more intermediate myself. Up here I do XC. I'm not a fan of big drops or hucking, so nothing like that.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would check out this site
    Mountain Bike Trails and Routes in El Paso, TX | GeoBetty - You are on the right track
    great resource with some information on various El Paso trails.

I would definitely suggest bringing some extra tubes on rides as the terrain is really rocky and full of thorns, cactus, sharp rocks if your not tubeless.

As far as beginner trails there are a few. The Arroyo park near the University of Texas at El Paso is probably a safe start. In the same area (towards the highest point of your ride you can cross the street into Palisades Canyon. There you will have some rocky intermediate trails like monks and annas full of rocky descents and uphills. I would suggest strava to look for those two trails.

In the northeast portion of El Paso i would suggest chuck heinrich park. There is a dam in the parking lot that you ride to the top of, behind the cement dam you will have the state park. There are some great trails that are beginner friendly in that portion. Trail names for these would be lazy cow, mad cow, as well as others such as pole cat ally.

Westside has a few trails as well you can check out but cant remember the names or places of those. Strava segment explorer is a pretty good tool to check out for those.

Oh and a video of some of the trails
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8bZaOMlgII

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    The El Paso Bicycle Club may be a resource for MTB riding. You can find them on Meetup.com.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    I hope you got to ride before the snow hit. We went out in the fresh powder this morning, what a blast!! Northeast El Paso has some great trails that start at Tom Heinrich Park.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I have not been able to go riding yet. I am here until the 4th so maybe the snow will be melted and the mud dried up before then. I am hoping to at least get to Arroyo. Thanks for all the advice guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Look up EP Cyclists Mountain Bikers Club. I help organize the MTB rides here in the area. Great group of people with all different levels of experience.

https://www.facebook.com/EP-Cyclists...3354892207880/