GHORBA Skills Clinic at The Anthills- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

GHORBA Skills Clinic at The Anthills

Once again our fabulous skills clinic director Jeff Shoemake is hosting another of his famous skills clinics! This time on Saturday, July 30th, 8:00am at Terry Hershey Park also known as The Anthills. The skills clinic is free to GHORBA members in good standing but you must email me at [email protected] to reserve a spot. Don't forget to mention which class you want to attend: Beginner, Intermediate, or Advanced. If you're not a GHORBA member but want to attend the clinic you need to sign up now. Due to insurance purposes you must be a GHORBA member at least 2 days before the clinic. Don't miss out on this opportunity to learn from some of the best riders Houston has to offer! After the clinic we'll take a ride around the trail.

A map to the park can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=....0036,0.005987

Become a GHORBA member here: http://www.ghorba.org/membership/

All riders must have a helmet and a bike. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.
    Last edited by soccerdude; 07-20-2011 at 05:41 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Tentatively planning to be there.

If anyone is having trouble with particular obstacle(s), post up to influence topics of the clinic.

mtbr member
    Cool. Might have to check that out...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Could you explain a bit more what the classes cover?

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for the info, i'm a newbie...will def check it out.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by White_Panther View Post
    Could you explain a bit more what the classes cover?

Thanks,
    Topics vary depending on skill level. Mike (soccerdude) can fill in the gaps. Preliminary Q: what skill are you, beginner, intermediate, or advanced?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am not sure what skill level I am since I always ride with the same group or alone. I just started riding in Feb. and that is why I would like to see what class would benefit me the most.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I always recommend first time clinic students take the beginner class. You'd be surprised how much stuff you'll learn even if you been riding awhile.

In the beginner class 'classroom' section we go over the pre-ride bike check, proper saddle height, proper attire and protection, hydration, braking technique, plus a myriad of other things before heading out onto the trail. Once on the trail we find beginner obstacles and teach you how to handle them.

The intermediate class teaches you how to handle more difficult obstacles as well as how to maintain speed around corners/curves. Also a few bike handling skills such as emergency stops. Too much to list here.

The advanced class takes what you learned in the intermediate class and fine tunes it.

Mike S.

Is it Friday yet?
    This is really cool. I'll be out of town this week, but I would definitely go if I could. Big props to ghorba for this. This convinced me to become a paying member. Does ghorba do stickers or shirts or anything to promote the organization? Have fun!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    We have some small stickers and have been talking about ordering some larger ones. I'll bring it up at the next meeting. Not so sure about t-shirts. I've seen a few people wearing GHORBA shirts but don't know if we sell them or just give them out to race volunteers. Will ask about those too.

You are aware that the clinic is not until July 30th right? Not this weekend.

Mike S.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Make sure you fill out a waiver form and bring it with you to the clinic. If you are under 18 you'll need to have a parental consent form signed by a parent or guardian.

Waiver form: http://www.ghorba.org/file_download/9

Parental consent form: http://www.ghorba.org/file_download/10

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    was really hoping to make it out but got scheduled to work 6 days this week

hopefully the weather holds out for double lake on sunday

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    So far Terry Hershey Park has not recieved any measurable amount of rain but we will be watching the radar tomorrow to see if TS Don brings some. We will provide an update tomorrow evening around 8:00 pm.

Mike S.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Skills Clinic is ON!

Terry Hershey received between .40 and .64 inches of rain today which is not enough to close the trail. I went by and looked at the ground and it was fine. The clinic is ON. Classes start at 8:00 am so be there early to get yourself and your bike ready.

Mike Strawn

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Well,

Mr. Weatherman said we wouldn’t receive any more rain this morning but he was wrong. Terry Hershey received more rain this morning and there is more on the way. The ground probably soaked up a lot of the rain but the grass and the roots will be very slick. Not good conditions for a clinic. We will reschedule the clinic for a later date; probably Saturday, August 13th.

Mike Strawn

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    We have some small stickers and have been talking about ordering some larger ones. I'll bring it up at the next meeting. Not so sure about t-shirts. I've seen a few people wearing GHORBA shirts but don't know if we sell them or just give them out to race volunteers. Will ask about those too.

You are aware that the clinic is not until July 30th right? Not this weekend.

Mike S.
    Hmmm, I make custom MTB shirts check it out @ getsomegear.org. I wonder if I can make some for GHORBA? Im in the Houston area too!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I'll bring it up at the next GHORBA meeting which is on August 8th. I know there are GHORBA t-shirts floating around but I don't know if they were once for sale or if they were given away. I also don't know how many we still have in stock, if any.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    still on for saturday??

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Yes. Saturday at 8:00 am.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    wish i was back in houston. any more clinics planned for the summer?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    We hold them every 2 months so the next one will be in October.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    never been to Anthills, meet up in the lot off of dairy ashford??

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Yes, we will meet at the parking lot on Dairy Ashford just south of Memorial Drive. We will then head to the empty field area just across the street.

A map to the park can be found here: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=....0036,0.005987