GHORBA Ride - Sugar Land Memorial, Sept. 25th- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

GHORBA Ride - Sugar Land Memorial, Sept. 25th

GHORBA will be holding a local ride at our Sugar Land Memrorial (Justin P. Brindley) trail on Saturday, September 25th. We will meet at 9:00 am with wheels down at 9:30 am. This ride is open to all riders and not just GHORBA members so bring your family and invite your friends!

Sugar Land Memorial is a short 1.25 mile long trail located near the Brazos River. It is the perfect trail for riders who are new to the sport but the trail also contains 14 TTF's (Technical Trail Features) that can be challenging for more experienced riders. The trail does not have any long climbs or downhills and feels more like a pump track with all the small hills and curves. For the more advanced riders there are drop-offs, skinnies, and other fun challenges littered throughout the course. It's a great trail for all riders regardless of experience. There is no charge to enter the park.

Directions from downtown Houston:

Take I-59 south towards Victoria, Tx
    Pass the 610-Loop
    Pass the Sam Houston Tollway
    Pass Hwy 6
    Exit University Dr. and turn left under the overpass
    University Dr. deadends at Commonwealth Dr.
    Turn right into the park
    Follow the roundabout to the left
    Take the gravel road past the dogpark
    Park at the pavillion behind the dogpark

Here is a map to the park: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...40ea96ad2&z=19

Here are some reviews of the park: http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...7_4582crx.aspx

For some pictures of the park click here: http://www.ghorba.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2056

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

In case of rainout...

If Sugar Land is too wet to ride this weekend we will instead ride at Double Lake at 9:00 am this Saturday and push the Sugar Land group ride to Saturday October 2nd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Finally something close enough I can make after I get off work!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Technical Trail Features Mini-Clinic

Those of you who have been to Sugar Land Memorial to ride know there are 14 man-made technical trail features (TTF's) scattered throughout the trail of varying difficulty. Some are pretty easy while others are intimidating. Well I have great news! Local resident and TTF Master Scott McCloskey will be on hand to give a TTF Mini-Clinic this Saturday during our group ride! This is a great chance to learn how to attack and master those troublesome TTF's from a guy who really know's what he's doing. There is no charge for this clinic nor do you need to be a member of GHORBA to attend. A huge thanks to Scott for offering his time to teach us this Saturday!

Mike S.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

Sugar Land Ride is On!

Sugar Land got a ton of rain earlier today but the trail didn't get a drop. The ride is on for 9:00 am.

Mike S.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I should be out there before 9:30. If not, I'll just wait until everyone loops back around.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Good turnout and a lot of fun! A huge thanks to Scott McClowskey for putting on the TTF mini-clinic and to Gregg Vaupel for all the hard work he does to keep the trail in top condition. Can't wait for our next two rides: Huntsville State Park and Cameron Park!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Glad I made it out, albeit a bit later than I had hoped. Scott, another guy and myself stayed for a bit longer and rode around.

BTW, I was on the lime green Santa Cruz.

Members who have read this thread: 0