• 09-24-2011
    soccerdude
    GHORBA Group Ride at Lake Bryan on 10-15-2011
    We're holding an official GHORBA ride at Lake Bryan in Bryan, Texas located near College Station on Saturday, October 15th at 10:00 am. Lake Bryan is a man-made lake created by the local power company to cool their generators and is open to boaters, swimmers, fishermen, and skiers/wakeboarders. There's also camping sites and RV hookups for those who enjoy a longer stay. But what's best about Lake Bryan are the two well maintained trails created by the Brazos Valley Mountain Bike Association! The West Loop is 7+ miles of mostly beginner trail with a few short climbs up the side of the levee. The East Loop is 12.5 miles long and includes rock gardens, fast runs down the side of the levee, plus other assorted technical features. We will divide into group of beginners, intermedaite, and advanced riders so no matter what your skill level we will have a ride suited for you.

We will meet at the parking lot near the Lakeside Grill at 10am with wheels down at 10:30am. Cost to enter the park is $5.00 per car.

If you need to carpool or can offer a ride to others please post here. If offering a ride please include what time you're leaving and returning plus how much money you expect for gas.

A map of the Lake Bryan trails can be found here: Brazos Valley Mountain Bike Association
    The mileage on the trail map is not correct due to recent re-routing of the trails.

A map to the parking lot can be found here: Lake Bryan - Google Maps

All GHORBA group rides are open to all riders and not just GHORBA members so bring your friends and family! All riders must bring a bike, a helmet, and either a water bottle or hydration pack. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
  • 09-25-2011
    ARCHAIC
    I'm in! Is there anything there for the wife and 1 year old to do? It would be nice to bring them up too!
  • 09-25-2011
    soccerdude
    Not really unless they want to go hang out in College Station. Lake Bryan does have camping and water activities but doesn't have a playground or much else. There is a restaurant which overlooks the lake and has a large outside deck to sit at. If you ride both trails expect to ride for around 1 hour on the West trail and 2 hours on the East.
  • 09-30-2011
    SpringBranchSingleSpeedy
    Sweet, I've been wanting to ride these trails for awhile now. Looking forward to this ride!
  • 10-12-2011
    ARCHAIC
    Are the trails rigid SS friendly? Or am I better off bringing the geared ride?
  • 10-12-2011
    soccerdude
    The east trail is more SS friendly as there is very little sustained climbing. There's a few short and steep uphills but nothing long. The west trail has 5 climbs up the side of the levee and a geared bike would be preffered. I'm pretty sure most riders will want to ride the east trail as it is the longest and is the most fun.
  • 10-14-2011
    ARCHAIC
    If coming from spring, is it faster to take the beltway to 290 to 6 in hempstead up to Bryan. Or would it be faster to take 45 to 105 to 6 in navasota then up to Bryan?
  • 10-14-2011
    SpringBranchSingleSpeedy
    I'll be taking 290 to 6.
  • 10-14-2011
    soccerdude
    Usually I would say take I-45 to Hwy 105 but right now the Rennaisance Festival is going on and you'll run into a ton of traffic on 105 near Plantersville. I'd take the Sam Houston Tollway to Hwy 290 then Hwy 6 straight up. Don't take Hwy 249 either or you'll get stuck in the Festival traffic for a few hours after you pass thru Magnolia.
  • 10-14-2011
    SpringBranchSingleSpeedy
    FYI there is an aggie game on Saturday morning at 11. Plan accordingly.