GHORBA Group Ride at Jack Brooks Sat. July 9th.- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

GHORBA Group Ride at Jack Brooks Sat. July 9th.

When you think of challenging mountain bike trails around Houston what do you think of? Well Jack Brooks Park of course! Everyone knows it's one of the toughest trails in town but are you aware there are beginner friendly trails there as well? Well there are, you just have to know how to get to them. Our trail steward extrordinaire Steve Booker has offered to give us a tour of the park and you're invited. Experienced riders don't want to miss challenging trails such as Dragons Back, The Playground, Hell, and Hell II. Less experienced riders can ride great trails like Hermits Run, The Neverending Trail, Homestretch, and more. At Jack Brooks there really is something for everyone. Regardless of your skill or endurance level we will have a group for you so don't miss out!

A map to the parking lot is here: http://goo.gl/maps/gPnH

All GHORBA group rides are open to everyone and not just GHORBA members. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. A helmet must be worn during the ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    never ridden JB before. curious if there is anywhere for my wife & kid to hang out while I ride or is it more of just a biking area?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Jack Brooks Park has a frisbee golf course, and archery range, trails for horseback riding (you bring your own horse), and I think a basketball court. Unfortunately it's all out in the open with little shade. The bike trails are well covered and are some of the best (meaning most difficult) Houston has to offer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ok, seeing as how i am a noob & havent ridden any trails out here (used to ride in so cal but that was when i was a teenager) is it likely that I will be the only noobie out there, therefore i will be ruining the ride?? really wanna go but dont wanna be a bummer for everyone.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Not likely you'll be the only noob. Our rides are geared more towards the beginner and intermediate crowds as those are the ones that usually aren't familiar with the trails and need a guide. We do have more advanced riders attend but they usually know all the local trails and ride on their own or with their own groups so they really don't need a guide. Come out and join us. We'll have a group that fits you skill and endurance level.

gunslinger
    I'll be there - probably around 8ish??? You didn't mention what time folks will start to assemble.

JB is some serious badass stuf in some spots. The way technical stuf is taking me several rolls thru to figure out, and I'm still stalling on many of them!!! I'm just waiting to dislocate my shoulder thru some of those tight turns! I'm not doing the obstacles though, only the places you have to w/ no alternates, but those are easy.

I'm amazed at how so much riding is packed into such a small area!

I'll probably be the only vehicle w/ Utah plates - white toyota taco.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Guess that would help huh? We'll arrive at 9:00am with wheels down at 9:30am. See you there!

gunslinger
    I enjoyed the company today!

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by selector View Post
    I enjoyed the company today!
    Good to meet you. Glad our local trails were ~ challenging to a rider accustomed to elevation changes, hills, speed, descents, and rocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    had a great time & am looking forward to the double lake ride in a few weeks!!

Soccerdude was a great trail guide!!

gunslinger
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Good to meet you. Glad our local trails were ~ challenging to a rider accustomed to elevation changes, hills, speed, descents, and rocks.
    Went back out Sunday and really rolled it quickly. It's amazingly technical! Dabbed on far fewer hills/root sections!

Salsa!
    Wait - there are easy trails at JB? LOL

We went there last Dec, sight-unseen, and got our butts kicked pretty well. I took out a tree, and a different tree took out my boyfriend.

Perhaps the next time we're in the area, we will be able to hook up with a guide
    2011 Salsa El Mariachi "Corzo"
    _______
    Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then stop.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    There are easier trails in the park but you either have to ride all of the Beginning and a few other nasty trails to get to them or you can take the jeep trail to the bayou, turn right, and enter near the backside of the Autobahn. Just walking some of the harder trail can wear you out so if you're just looking for fun, easy trails take teh jeep trail.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was somehow unaware that Jack Brooks had tough trails. I cant wait to check it out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Its a very fun trail system,i ride out there every chance i get.
    2009 Marin Mount Vision 5.7....a great everything bike...