• 10-10-2011
    soccerdude
    GHORBA Group Ride at Jack Brooks on 11/12/11 at 9:00am
    When you think of challenging mountain bike trails around Houston what do you think of? Well Jack Brooks Park of course! Everyone knows it's one of the toughest trails in town but are you aware there are beginner friendly trails there as well? Well there are. You just have to know how to get to them. Experienced riders don't want to miss challenging trails such as The Beginning, Dragons Back, The Playground, Hell, and Hell II. Less experienced riders can ride great trails like Hermits Run, The Neverending Trail, Homestretch, and more. At Jack Brooks there really is something for everyone. Regardless of your skill or endurance level we will have a group ride for you so don't miss out! We'll meet at the pavillion on Saturday November 12th at 9:00am.

A map to the parking lot is here: Jack Brooks Park - Google Maps

All GHORBA group rides are open to everyone and not just GHORBA members. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian. A helmet must be worn during the ride.
  • 10-11-2011
    soccerdude
    Trail steward Steve Booker said that there is a work party scheduled on October 29th to replace the floating bridge so we have rescheduled the ride for November 12th at 9:00am.
  • 10-12-2011
    ARCHAIC
    Yayyyy. Another day of pain! I promise my friend with the hybrid will not be there!!
  • 10-17-2011
    MyMilkExpired
    Might have to get this on my schedule and come check this trail out. Didn't realize there was some riding down that way.
  • 10-17-2011
    equalme
    Gah. Wished you all did Sunday rides sometime...I work EVERY Saturday. =(
  • 10-17-2011
    soccerdude
    We do Sunday rides on occasion so that the NWCC crowd can join us. That reminds me that NWCC does a Sunday mountain bike ride nearly every weekend. They like to ride their road bikes on Saturday then mtb Sundays. Check out their Facebook page for more info and I'll plan a GHORBA Sunday ride soon just for you. Where do you want to ride?

Mike S.
  • 10-17-2011
    equalme
    Quote:

Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    We do Sunday rides on occasion so that the NWCC crowd can join us. That reminds me that NWCC does a Sunday mountain bike ride nearly every weekend. They like to ride their road bikes on Saturday then mtb Sundays. Check out their Facebook page for more info and I'll plan a GHORBA Sunday ride soon just for you. Where do you want to ride?

Mike S.

Awesome Mike.

I have only ridden at Memorial and Sugarland Park. I would love to try out all the other trails, but never had the motivation since I don't have a partner to ride with.

But no rush in scheduling a Sunday ride just for me yet, I just sold my Stumpy today and it looks like I will be picking up a Ibis frame soon.

Thanks!
    Anthony
  • 10-18-2011
    ecthelion
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Gah. Wished you all did Sunday rides sometime.... =(

Nice idea! Rotating the time and or day of the week could allow folks with different time commitments a chance to attend.
  • 10-18-2011
    soccerdude
    I've thought about rotating the group rides between Saturdays and Sundays but we tend to have greater turnout on Saturdays as many people attend church, including me, or seem to do more family related things on Sundays. I don't mind doing the occasion ride on Sunday but I don't plan to do so every other ride. There are also lots of group rides for most of the local trails during the week. Just check out the GHORBA calendar for a pretty good list and also check out the local bike shop websites as well.

Anthonylokrn, you'll love the Mojo HD! I have a 2011 Mojo SL and it's the best bike I've ever rode. It eats up anything in Houston that you can throw at it as well as most anything in or around Austin. Send me a PM with your email and I'll tell you where you can get a good price on a new one.
  • 11-13-2011
    BGillespie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Awesome Mike.

I have only ridden at Memorial and Sugarland Park. I would love to try out all the other trails, but never had the motivation since I don't have a partner to ride with.

But no rush in scheduling a Sunday ride just for me yet, I just sold my Stumpy today and it looks like I will be picking up a Ibis frame soon.

Thanks!
    Anthony

I live close to memorial. Hit me up when you want to ride. telcomtechinc at gmail doootttt com.
  • 11-13-2011
    BGillespie
    Quote:

Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    When you think of challenging mountain bike trails around Houston what do you think of? Well Jack Brooks Park of course! Everyone knows it's one of the toughest trails in town but are you aware there are beginner friendly trails there as well? Well there are. You just have to know how to get to them. Experienced riders don't want to miss challenging trails such as The Beginning, Dragons Back, The Playground, Hell, and Hell II. Less experienced riders can ride great trails like Hermits Run, The Neverending Trail, Homestretch, and more. At Jack Brooks there really is something for everyone. Regardless of your skill or endurance level we will have a group ride for you so don't miss out! We'll meet at the pavillion on Saturday November 12th at 9:00am.

Good ride yesterday, even though my knee does not agree.
  • 11-13-2011
    CYCLEJCE
    Anyone take pictures?