GHORBA Group Ride at Cameron Park - Sat. Jan. 21st- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

GHORBA Group Ride at Cameron Park - Sat. Jan. 21st

Since the weather is cooling off a little I figured it is a good time for us to take a trip north to Waco, Texas to what I consider to be the best mountain bike system in the entire state; Cameron Park! With over 20 miles of singletrack and trails ranging from beginner green to advanced double black diamond there is truly something for everyone. We'll meet at 10:00 am on Saturday December 3rd near the pavillion on Lover's Leap then divide into groups. As always GHORBA will provide water, Gatorade, and light snacks for all in attendance.

Our friends at the Waco Bicycle Club have genrously offered to lead us around the trails as they know them better than anyone. We will divide up into groups of beginners, intermediate, and advanced riders so no one will be left out. Don't miss this chance to ride one of the best mountain bike parks in the state! There is no charge to enter the park, it's free!!

Map to Cameron Park - Cameron Park - Google Maps

All GHORBA group rides are open to all riders and not just GHORBA members. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The Waco Bicycle Club provided 5 group leaders which allowed us to divide into small groups. With 25 riders from Houston, Waco, Bryan/College Station, and Austin we had a good hodgepodge of riders from southeast Texas. Everything from beginner riders to advanced was represented. A huge thanks to Scott Prugh and the Waco Bicycle Club for all their help! The weather and the trails we perfect as well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Sounds like a great time you all had up there, weather seemed pretty nice as well this weekend. I've always been curious of the trails up there since my old college days in Waco. How would the beginner-intermediate trails compare to something say like around Anthills? More or less similar to Houston in difficulty?
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Technically the beginner-intermediate trails at Cameron Park are easier than at the Anthills but the climbing is much harder. Some are steep, rocky, and long which will put a hurtin' on your legs. But the downhills are fast, smooth, flowy, and long. The downhills are well worth the climbs. Make sure you go with someone who knows the trails as it's very easy to get turned around. The map they have online is not completely accurate so it's not much help. Also, a guide can show you the best route for the most fun with the least amount of climbing. We go every month or so; let me know if you want to ride with us. Just beware that we suck at climbing!

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Currently I'm unsure of my status staying in the Houston area, but when I'm able to be here more permanently I'm very interested in becoming a ghorba member. Seems like a lot of fun riding with a bunch of people who share a common interest.

Thanks for the tips for Cameron Park. Climbs are not my strong suit either. I think Anthills has tough 'climbs', then we went to Bluff Creek and there 2 climbs in particular that I didn't even waste time trying, so no worries. Now if only I had the ability to invent some sort of solar powered 'booster motor' for those who hate climbs...lol
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The Pass and the Pallisaides at Bluff Creek Ranch are very tough climbs. I usually walk them too. You are aware that you don't need to be a member of GHORBA to attend our group rides? They're open to anyone who has a mountain bike and wants to ride. Only our skills clinics require membership due to insurance purposes.

Members who have read this thread: 0