GHORBA Group Ride at Cameron Park - Sat. Dec. 3rd.- Mtbr.com
    Fat Biker
    Aug 2006

GHORBA Group Ride at Cameron Park - Sat. Jan. 21st. at 10am

Since the weather is cooling off a little I figured it is a good time for us to take a trip north to Waco, Texas to what I consider to be the best mountain bike system in the entire state; Cameron Park! With over 20 miles of singletrack and trails ranging from beginner green to advanced double black diamond there is truly something for everyone. We'll meet at 10:00 am on Saturday December 3rd near the pavillion on Lover's Leap then divide into groups. As always GHORBA will provide water, Gatorade, and light snacks for all in attendance.

Our friends at the Waco Bicycle Club have genrously offered to lead us around the trails as they know them better than anyone. We will divide up into groups of beginners, intermediate, and advanced riders so no one will be left out. Don't miss this chance to ride one of the best mountain bike parks in the state! There is no charge to enter the park, it's free!!

Map to Cameron Park - Cameron Park - Google Maps

All GHORBA group rides are open to all riders and not just GHORBA members. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
    Last edited by soccerdude; 12-15-2011 at 07:18 PM.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Click here Senior Mountain Biker Spins Through Texas Parks | December 2011 | TPW magazine to read about one of our group leaders for our upcoming Cameron Park ride!

The weather forcast is not looking good for Friday and Saturday. We will update the ride status on Thursday and Friday evening; if it's bad we'll reschedule for Saturday December 17th at 10:00am.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm in Waco & local weather last night showed 50% chance of rain Sat & Sun. 30% on Friday, I think.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Due to the current rain and a good chance or more thunderstorms tomorrow we have rescheduled the Cameron Park ride for Saturday December 17th at 10:00am.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You should check out the trails at Woodway Park if you have time. The outnback is just under 5 miles but it's fun with some cool flowy, twisty, up n' down's. With the rain, the trail should be very nice. There are some small berms too (wish there were some in Cameron Park). Definitely has some stuff not found in Cameron Park.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    I plan to head down there 3-4 days before you guys. Does this really have double black diamond though? I don't want to get all excited for nothing. Mind you, I'm in the Bay Area now, so I have some amazing trails to choose from.

I'll have my FF, goggles, and knee/shin pads, so I expect to use them.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    For Texas they are double black diamond. I've never rode anywhere but in our state so I can't compare. I've walked up both Babbler and Batcave and can tell you that I'd want a big hit bike plus ff and a full set of pads before I ever rode down them. My friend Raul rode down Batcave on a 5" fs without ff and pads and lived to tell so they may not be all that bad for you either. If you want the toughest trails around I would head to Austin and ride Emma Long. Look it up on youtube and see if it's up your alley.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Cool thanks. I'm from Dallas, used to ride in Vail when I was younger, and picked up riding again a couple months ago here at school in the Bay Area. My friend in Waco sent me a video from Cameron and I was surprised they had anything that looked that fun in Texas. There's definitely not much around Dallas.

I'll report back on how it is, especially since it looks like rain next week.

Mandatory pic of the bike:

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    May 2009
    There are 3 dbl blk diamond trails in Cameron Park. They're very short, all next to one another. Local XCers ride'em but they're definitely easier and more fun on a bigger bike. I've ridden Thor on my steel hardtail with 140mm fork. Babbler (I think?) is nothing but nasty treeroots; one rider told me he busted some ribs when his saddle bounced up and hit him. I asked why he didn't drop the saddle down. Bat Cave has a steep beginning with loose rocks then a drop in the middle.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Cool, thanks. I'm just wondering if TX double black is comparable to the double blacks I know of. I looked on the Strava data, and there definitely are some steep sections. I watched some videos on YT though and it looked a lot less treacherous, although that usually is the case. I did notice it's pretty rocky, which I never enjoy haha.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    I ride a 4-inch XC bike and just about scrape the dingleberries off m'heiny with the back tire on batcave. That drop that bitewerks mentioned used to be pretty much just a log with a hatcheted cutout in it, but runoff erosion below has added significantly to it. Can't really just drop the front tire over any more without going otb. I haven't been on babbler in many moons, but once had a buddy that yard-saled twice behind me on the way down.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cameron Park - Bat Cave (double black diamond) - YouTube

That video doesn't show what Bat Cave is like at all. Looks completely flat but it most definitely is not.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Looks like it'll be wet in Waco all this week...

The rain has done good things for the Woodway trails. The small berms were in good shape yesterday.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    My ride got moved back to this Friday now. Does it drain pretty well there? I'm sure there will be a couple wet spots.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    We're keeping an eye on the storms in Waco this week and will update the trail conditions this Thursday and Friday. If the trails are too wet we will reschedule for a later date.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It's been wet here for 4 days straight.Most of the trails drain pretty well except the River Trail. I think Fri/Sat is suppose to be clear but it'll most definitely be muddy/nasty.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Due to the muddy trail conditions and the fact that they probably won't be dry by Saturday we are cancelling the ride for this Saturday and rescheduling for Saturday, January 21st at 10:00 am.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Went riding Friday as planned. Everything was definitely damp, but not really wet anywhere. There were a couple places where I hit some damp clay and my rear tire would slide around. The double blacks were cool, but I probably shouldn't have done those first. I really liked the stretch of Baseball with all the rocky drop offs. As I expected, the rocks made it harder, and all the leaves hid lots of unexpected obstacles. Really great trails though, and an awesome place to ride. We found a cool little jump from the road just down from Lover's Leap onto the trail by Drain Pipe.

I think we spent about 5 hours just messing around riding random trails and climbing back up if we wanted to do something fun again. Only saw one other person. Definitely want to go back sometime and check out more of the trails.

Here's a couple pics. These are my tires that I took today when I got home. And that's me on Babbler. Didn't realize it until I walked up, but all those roots were hidden once you looked down the trail. I tried riding down from there, but couldn't get on my pedals quick enough to get rolling well.

2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    May 2009
    "little jump from the road just down from Lover's Leap onto the trail by DrainPipe"

Yeah, that's our only foot high drop to transition we have. I hit it after coming down Colorado (nice crash on it today). There's another little root drop right into a corner that's fun (esp if you're going a little too fast to take the corner!) but I can't think of the trail name...

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Did you see the little run in to the drop I made then? It may have gotten covered up, but I brushed the leaves out of the way to help me line up the drop when riding into it.
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I forgot to say that Baseball has gotten more tech since we've been getting rain. I usually climb it but last few times I have not cleaned it since one little area has been washed away. I havent' ridden down it in a long time.

Didn't see any new run-in but I crashed at the end of Colorado(front tire washed out in the slick clay) so walked the bike out to the parking area(bottom of the hill up to Lover's Leap) to check everything out before dropping it down to Mixmaster/Drainpipe.

I did find a new trail that is a mild re-route but for some reason, they fixed a little lip you could get a little air off of. Not sure if they're re-routing the entire section or someone else did it. This was near the end of Powder Monkey, I think. I dont' pay much attention to trail names anymore since I know my way around.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Looks like the weather should be great for our ride this Saturday, January 21st at 10:00am!