Geez, Texas summers.- Mtbr.com
    TNC
    noMAD man

Geez, Texas summers.

We have 3 out of 4 seasons that are pretty darned good for mountainbiking, but man, summer is usually just brutal. I don't hate road biking, but summer becomes way more road biking than mountainbiking...which I'd rather be doing. Yeah, you can wake up early enough to get a ride in before the inferno, but it's just not the same. I noticed one of the other posters on another forum from Phoenix reported an afternoon high of 115. I guess 98 out here in west Texas don't sound so bad. How does summer affect y'alls MTB'ing? Well...here's a shot of winter riding from our place between San Angelo and Abilene...I miss it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I usualy don't notice the heat except before and after the ride. But I don't drive to the trail head with the ac kicken.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    LOL! It's not even summer yet. We have 16 days left to go or so before it officially hits.

I wish more people considered the heat before moving to Austin and *****ing about it. Maybe they wouldn't move here. I like riding in the heat. I feel more...fluid and that I'm geting better conditioning riding in the heat. It certainly beats riding in the cold.

D

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dburatti
    LOL! It's not even summer yet. We have 16 days left to go or so before it officially hits.

I wish more people considered the heat before moving to Austin and *****ing about it. Maybe they wouldn't move here. I like riding in the heat. I feel more...fluid and that I'm geting better conditioning riding in the heat. It certainly beats riding in the cold.

D
    Yup. I'm from Maine originally (been in the ATX for 3+ years) and agree that the Texas heat beats the New England cold any day. This fact does not stop me from occasionally b!tching about the heat here though.

Ian

Apr 2005
    I'll take hot over cold any day but the heat definatley gets to me at a point. Really forces you to ride early or late.

mtbr member
    I agree, I'd much rather have the heat than cold. Hell, I wont even ride if it gets below 60! I have never walked out the door for a ride and thought "Damn, it is too hot to ride". I read the Arizona forum and I laugh at how many people ***** about the heat there. It's kind of like moving to chicago and *****ing about the winters. I dont get it.

mtbr member
    it's not summer until it's been over a 100 with no rain for 30 days in a row

at least that's what I tell myself

otherwise the summer can last 6 months

early am is good, even though I am not a morning person

you can go through 2 100oz camelback bladders on a long ride

TNC
    noMAD man

LOL!...so true.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadbikes
    it's not summer until it's been over a 100 with no rain for 30 days in a row

at least that's what I tell myself

otherwise the summer can last 6 months

early am is good, even though I am not a morning person

you can go through 2 100oz camelback bladders on a long ride
    As I'm looking at the outside handy-dandy remote thermometer from inside the AC induced lethargy I'm under, I see it's 101 right now north of Abilene...so maybe we're on our way. Aw, I'm really not such a candya$$, but it sure does suck the life of ya compared to a nice 65 degree "winter" day. I'll still attempt our group ride at the local trail tomorrow evening...ouch.

mtbr member
    oh yeah..

the first few "hot" rides are brutal..

but, I put up with it for the "winter" we have here

I have had the onset of heat exhaustion a few times, light chill on the arms, bonk

stop
    drink under a tree and wait for a while

and I do all the hydrating I can pre ride...

what really sucks for me right now is I injured my left hand with a chainsaw about a month ago

can't ride yet...
    so.. by the time I can, it's going to be full on summer mode with no time to adjust for it
    first rides are gonna hurt

I tried trail running a bit, but, I basically suck at it

so, went out from 6-9 last night doing some trail work.. which requires lots of hiking

TNC
    noMAD man
    Chainsaw??? Is it that cool in Austin that you're having to cut firewood?...LOL! Good luck with the hand. Running...yuck...that's why I took up bicycles.

mtbr member
    trimming a tree in the backyard..

the new trail I have been building since the start of the year is good therapy

mtbr member
    The heat typically means less people on the trails. Especially during the heat of the day. This "blessing" also has a potential curse, more spiderwebs.

The more humid, the more the sweat stays with you. And the less the Off! stays on.

Anybody else wring out more sweat from the helmet pads than the jersey?

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    a ten mile mtb ride or a 30 to 50 mile road ride is bearable and like others said I much enjoy heat compared to cold. Enduro gatorade helps too.
    helmet pads?--how bout the whole interior of the helmet--twixt keeping the helmet in d trunk and the crazy sweat I have had a 3 season old E2's glue just come apart. I have another E2 now. E2 is the only comfortable helmet to me.

mtbr member
    I really don't like the Texas summers, but they make me really, really sick. I have to be done riding by 9, or I'm sick all day. So, after four years, I've given up on acclimating, and I'm moving back to a cooler climate!

Riding in short sleeves on New Years is great though!

Jun 2006

D
    My only beef with the Texas heat is that your cheesecakes get all warm and melty in the summer.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by johndcurtis
    My only beef with the Texas heat is that your cheesecakes get all warm and melty in the summer.
    Hey John!

Long time no see. Are you still here in Austin? Riding? More trail than r**d?

D

May 2006
    Yeah, I get to commute during rush hour in the Texas sun. But I don't notice the heat much since I'm scared for my life sharing the road with "Fat Antonio" drivers.

Got Mojo?

im in Fat Antonio too...

Quote Originally Posted by desperado619
    Yeah, I get to commute during rush hour in the Texas sun. But I don't notice the heat much since I'm scared for my life sharing the road with "Fat Antonio" drivers.

With carne guisada dripping from their taco onto their steering wheel....

Mmmmm, carne guisada.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Feb 2006
    The only way to survive it is to convince yourself that you love it. To quote the idiot in the White House, "Bring it on."

Jun 2006
    Hey John!

Long time no see. Are you still here in Austin? Riding? More trail than r**d?

D
    Of course, or else I'd be posting over at roadbikereview! Yeah, Austin is home these days. I've been doing the spring races, but think I'll be a bit more low key this summer.

mtbr member
    This is my first summer in TX, yep I'm *****ing already. It was great having warm weather all winter,but it's getting bad now. The heat itself doesn't bother me too much as there's less humidity here than back east, it's the sun that kills me... I'm super white, and just sizzle during the day. Riding behind me during a hot ride makes people hungry, smells like bacon.

I do have to disagree that riding in the cold sucks. I find that winter riding, especially in light snow can be a blast. You can always layer on more clothes, but there's only so much you can take off when you ride, some texans like to ride in a thong and nothing else... yikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I went through a full 100oz camelback on a ride today and it was on a "moderate" trail.

I should have had some gatorade before I left but figured I'd have plenty of water.

Idiot.

The upside - lost 1.5 pounds on my ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I went through a full 100oz camelback on a ride today and it was on a "moderate" trail.

I should have had some gatorade before I left but figured I'd have plenty of water.

Idiot.

The upside - lost 1.5 pounds on my ride.
    I did a road ride yesterday starting at 6:30 am -- 4hr30min and 7 water bottles later, I had lost nearly 6 lbs.

TNC
    noMAD man

Geez, training for the RAAM?

Quote Originally Posted by Wumpus
    I did a road ride yesterday starting at 6:30 am -- 4hr30min and 7 water bottles later, I had lost nearly 6 lbs.
    LOL!...well, my hat's off to ya. Yeah, I do my road ride in the AM during the summers, but mine are a bit...shorter.

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fat Bob
    I do have to disagree that riding in the cold sucks. I find that winter riding, especially in light snow can be a blast. You can always layer on more clothes, but there's only so much you can take off when you ride, some texans like to ride in a thong and nothing else... yikes!
    Puting on more clothes is sooo restricting. I feel much freer with fewer clothes on, as I stated before, more fluid. But that's just me. I don't like to be restricted.

D

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    For the love of god, PUT ON MORE CLOTHES, or at a minimum "sweep" the rides next time.

Anyone notice how much sweat you could wring out of a jersey at the dam on Sunday? And that was still only 10:30 in the morning.

Jun 2006

D
    ATX Rider HeRe:

This "summer" thus far has been freakin cool, I don't know what you guys are talking about. It hasn't been over 100 for more than like 4 days, but that will all change soon.

In reference to the mosquitoes:
    Saturday I took a brk under a tree to catch my breath when I noticed I was surrounded by a cloud of these fa%k$r$.
    I use Bert's Bees hippy bug off, it keeps them off but not away... It's freshing scent attracts the ladies, lemme tell ya!

I think that at least a 70oz Camelbak is required for summer riding in the ATX

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    Anyone notice how much sweat you could wring out of a jersey at the dam on Sunday? And that was still only 10:30 in the morning.
    I think the 9-11am time is about the worst. The temps are rising but the humidity is still really high.

I went running at 9am this morning and lost three pounds from sweating in 40 minutes.

mtbr member
    I totally disagree with the winter comment. There is no way I can put on enough clothes and keep warm when it gets really cold. Just can't happen. If your chilled to the bone and you walk into an 85 degree house you will still be shivering and cold as hell for some time. If your burning hot and walk into a 70 degree house you will almost instantly feel cooler. If it's 100 here in Austin and I go for a two hour ride, I can stop in some shade and feel completely comfortable. There is no way to stand in the sun and get warm when riding on a cold snowy ride. Thats why I moved to Texas.

mtbr member
    If I ride in 100 degree heat, and stop in the shade, I'm puking my guts out usually. I have to be done riding when it gets near 90. However, I can walk out in -10 degree weather with the right clothes on, and it's no big deal. I've gotten the mail in shorts and while barefoot in 45 degree weather and was fine.

People are just wired differently. I've been crippled by the heat in Texas for the final summer.

Feb 2006
    I really hate our summers. I can't wait until October or so.

what?
    As much as I hate summer it's been a pretty "cool" summer so far. I usually go ride after work so I get to the trail at about 6. It feels pretty good by then. This is my first year riding so I can't say whether I prefer summer or winter but I LOVE winter otherwise.

Rollin' twenties.
    Apr 2006
    once i get my adrenilen pumpin i realy dont notice temperature, or dehydration, or blood running down my leg, or anything but what im riding. maybe yall are to bored whe you ride

Feb 2006
    No, we're just smart enough to notice the warning signs of our body. Especially the one that screams at you for liquid refreshment.

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny C.
    No, we're just smart enough to notice the warning signs of our body. Especially the one that screams at you for liquid refreshment.

mmmmmm beer

aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

mtbr member

speaking of which....

Quote Originally Posted by BikeMojo

Sorry brother, no beverages from the great white north. I hardly had a chance to pick up stuff for the wife and kid. Cool town, I'm very surprised that you adjusted to SA after living in GTA. No chance I could go from such a rich bike culture to where we are. I wish I had one or two more days there. GP Toronto was happening today, got to see some of the hot laps on Friday before I split... man those open wheel F1 cars are loud.

Members who have read this thread: 0