• 10-05-2011
    In-Yo-Grill
    Found some (new to me) trails today at Leon Creek.
    First of all let me give kudos to the SA bikes I've met on the trails in the past couple of weeks. I've been hitting Leon Creek for about a month now. I could only get about six miles of trails and although I was enjoying it I knew there had to be more.

Several guys I've met were telling me that there was more like 18 miles to be rode. I've started to do some exploring the past couple of days and finally hit pay dirt. Yesterday I ended up riding 16miles and it was shear bliss. I started at Bandera and Mainland and went as far as Hausman (I think). Unfortunately I got another flat that cut my ride short. I need to get off my butt and go tubeless.
  • 10-05-2011
    utsamtber
    yea there are a lot of good trials.. I have a nice little trail system I ride in leon creek, gives me right at 20 miles. I start over at the new park at i10 and 1604 by the hotel. The first mile or so is pavement but once the trails start I hop on and ride through fox, bamberger, and op all the way to mainland and bandera, and ride bike on the opposite side of the creek on different trails.
  • 10-06-2011
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by utsamtber View Post
    yea there are a lot of good trials.. I have a nice little trail system I ride in leon creek, gives me right at 20 miles. I start over at the new park at i10 and 1604 by the hotel. The first mile or so is pavement but once the trails start I hop on and ride through fox, bamberger, and op all the way to mainland and bandera, and ride bike on the opposite side of the creek on different trails.

I started at Bandera/Mainland today and went all the way to an area described to me as Christmas tree today. We hit OP on the way back and went through a bamboo forest. Did some serious climbing today and it was freekn' awesome. Round trip got me 17miles. It was about a 2-1/2hr ride.

Taking my boy out there this weekend to cut him loose.
  • 10-06-2011
    utsamtber
    i can't say ive heard of either bamboo or christmas tree but i am riding tomorrow morning at 7 if you want to come. 512 293 9577
  • 10-07-2011
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

i can't say ive heard of either bamboo or christmas tree but i am riding tomorrow morning at 7 if you want to come. 512 293 9577

Thanks for the invite. Got a long day of work planned since I took off a 1/2 day yesterday. I will be back out there on Saturday with my son. If you see a green Stumpy stop and say hello.
  • 10-09-2011
    js1221
    Quote:

The bamboo forest is on the upper perimeter trail at OP, right off the main entrance at Bandera and Braun.
  • 10-09-2011
    utsamtber
    o ok, i have never ridden above the creek
  • 10-10-2011
    In-Yo-Grill
    Quote:

Originally Posted by js1221 View Post
    The bamboo forest is on the upper perimeter trail at OP, right off the main entrance at Bandera and Braun.

I never knew about it until last week. It's a nice ride that starts at the entrance of OP and takes you behind the baseball fields and eventually dumps you out into the backside of the park. I usually start at the top of the park where the memorial is for the free climber who died a couple of years ago. I can't remember her name.
  • 10-10-2011
    utsamtber
    ill have to try it out. I usually go to the pavillion and then take a left and go up to the dh lines
  • 10-10-2011
    TXDesertRacer
    After entering the park and coming to the stopsign, I usually turn right and park at the end of the street. Then I take the trail that starts there back to the front entrance, cross the street to the bamboo trail you talk about, then up the paved trail to the pavillion/lookout, left to the tower, and left to the dh trail.