Fort Worth downtown- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fort Worth downtown

I'll be in Fort Worth for business (I live in Austin) around Oct. 31-Nov. 2. I am going to try to take my bike this time if I can cram it in the car with all the other conference gear. What is fun to ride close to downtown Fort Worth? I can't drive anywhere because I am driving a company car and can't go anywhere unless it's official business, so everything needs to be within pedaling distance from downtown.

I would probably bring my cyclocross bike because I have explored a little of the gravel paths along the Trinity river forks near downtown. what's the most interesting routes I can take on gravel paths and bike-friendly roads around there?
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 10-07-2018 at 07:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    The Trinity trails, paved, are within pedaling distance of downtown. The MTB trails are not. One out west, and one to the east. Can find some maps here Recreation Map For The Tarrant Regional Water District

The trails are all more or less similar. Might want to pick out some sort of destination and ride to there. The best bets are west and southwest. The area out by Greenwood Cemetery is semi-scenic (West) and the area southwest leads toward TCU, the museum district, and restaurants and ends near the Botanical Garden and Zoo. I am not current on the restaurant situation, though. North could take you to the Stockyards, which I suppose is worth gawking at and there are a few restaurants there. But the ride is going to be through a sort of generic industrial, poor-residential hellscape. You may not notice any surroundings on the trails because they are mostly between the levees, but if you venture off the trail those will be your possibilities.

You could actually make it out to either of the MTB trails on the Trinity Trails, but it would be a good haul. Sansom Park might be worth it, but it's too much for a CX bike and not something you want to do bookended by 10 miles of road ride each way.

mtbr member
    thanks! I see what looks like singletrack near Gateway Park and Sansome Park, is that correct? either of those is less than ten miles from downtown. If I have enough daylight (or batteries), that sounds worth doing on my mountain bike.

then there's dozens of miles of paths along the river(s) that seem to be partially gravel. might be a fun CX excursion.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    thanks! I see what looks like singletrack near Gateway Park and Sansome Park, is that correct? either of those is less than ten miles from downtown. If I have enough daylight (or batteries), that sounds worth doing on my mountain bike.

then there's dozens of miles of paths along the river(s) that seem to be partially gravel. might be a fun CX excursion.

Definitely consider going east on the Tyinity Trail from downtown, cross the river twice from downtown and riding over to Gateway Park.

Look for the Martin House Brewery. Thatís where a weekly summer time trial starts that includes Gateway. A lot of people ride CX bikes in that Most of Gateway (especially the west side) is perfect for a cross bike.

Also, FWCX has started up. Tuesday evening CX races next to downtown.

Most of Gateway is perfect for CX.

Or cross once (just the first bridge out of downtown) and go north to the waterfall.

Or go west out past Mellow Johnnyís and eventually to Benbrook Lake.

Multiple places to stop and eat (going west). The Woodshed has nice outdoor sitting and usually music on the weekends especially.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Does Fort Worth have a bus system that has bike carriers on them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    Does Fort Worth have a bus system that has bike carriers on them?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Iím not familiar. Iíve never ridden the bus here. Some do have bike carriers. I donít know about all.

Iíve ridden the TRE to Dallas and a bike can easily be taken on that train.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    You can definitely ride to Gateway from downtown. Sansom will be a long ride but still doable if you've got the time/endurance. I'd uber it to Sansom honestly, but going over to Gateway and riding both sides is very realistic. Just don't ride wet/muddy trails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Iíd take the CX bike and do a road tour. Fort Worth has a real clean downtown. Take a lap there. Then trinity trails. Ride around TCU, west 7th, camp Bowie, etc. You could make a good time out of it.

Fort Worth feels like a small town to me. I never had any trouble riding with traffic on the streets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post

Yes. Sansom Park is a pretty rowdy trail, mostly inappropriate for CX, I would think. As noted, Gateway would be much more CX friendly. Gateway is closer to downtown than Sansom, but, there's fewer attractions en route. Fort Worth Mountain Bikers Association ‚Äď Design it. Build it. Bike it. Maintain it.

The bus is an interesting idea, but I find little information about bikes on buses. The Dallas bus/train system is very bike friendly, but I'm not sure FW has followed suit.

mtbr member
    Previous posts pretty much covered things... but I'd cross my fingers for LESS RAIN! Most DFW trails have been closed for weeks now. And those that open up for a day or two, close again because of all the rain we're getting. Unfortunately, Gateway trail mentioned above doesn't dry out well, and is one of the last to open after rain. I think the last time it's been listed as open on the DORBA.org site was over a month ago. Been raining all day again here.

So what are all of you DFW riders doing in the rain these days? Seems I'm spending a lot of time on the ray Roberts Greenbelt gravel trail, and the rails to trails from Weatherford to Mineral Wells and back. But at least I'm getting outside.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quanah in Weatherford dries quickly and Sansom usually dries quick but check the FWMBA site.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Yes. Sansom Park is a pretty rowdy trail, mostly inappropriate for CX, I would think. As noted, Gateway would be much more CX friendly. Gateway is closer to downtown than Sansom, but, there's fewer attractions en route. Fort Worth Mountain Bikers Association ‚Äď Design it. Build it. Bike it. Maintain it.

The bus is an interesting idea, but I find little information about bikes on buses. The Dallas bus/train system is very bike friendly, but I'm not sure FW has followed suit.
    I've only heard of someone doing Sansom on a CX bike but it was almost like a legend. No way in hell I'd suggest that anyone with drop bars try Sansom. Even the east part of Gateway is too much IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    Quanah in Weatherford dries quickly and Sansom usually dries quick but check the FWMBA site.
    I always forget about Quanah. That reminds me, there's another trail out that way... Point Vista by Aledo.

Thanks for the Quanah reminder...
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.