Flintridge Trail in the Woodlands- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Flintridge Trail in the Woodlands

Has anyone rode this trail in the last couple of weeks? I am thinking about heading over there this weekend and wanted to get a report on it.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I rode Flintridge last week and aside from being sandy it's good to go. After all the rain we received the last couple of days I bet the sand is packed down well. Flintridge is not technical but can be a challenge to ride at high speed. I don't think there's a more than 10 feet of straight track anywhere on the trail and all the close trees love to try and grab your handlebar.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    I rode Flintridge last week and aside from being sandy it's good to go. After all the rain we received the last couple of days I bet the sand is packed down well. Flintridge is not technical but can be a challenge to ride at high speed. I don't think there's a more than 10 feet of straight track anywhere on the trail and all the close trees love to try and grab your handlebar.
    yes they do and I love it!!
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well that will be a good change of pace from Memorial.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    At least Memorial has SOME elevation change!!

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    flintridge has its own perks. like others mentioned, it's the limbs and trees that try to snag your handlebar.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Flintridge gets a bad rap for not having much elevation change nor any real technical challenges. It's a great place for those who are just learning to mountain bike or for those who want to practice cornering at high speeds. Try flying around those tight, sandy corners at top speed without a tree reaching out to grab you. It tough! At only 3.4 miles long it's not going to wear your legs out but if you ride it once then turn around and go backwards it makes for a good run. My friends and I ride a slow warm-up lap then race each other on the second lap. All the tight turns and narrow spaces make for some interesting wrecks. Do you think Flintridge is boring? Then come race with us and you'll have some respect for the place.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    There is a dry creek there and you can 'make' your own elevation. I went off the beaten path but it came to a dead end. About a 2 ft drop but those are rare

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    the only people that consider Flintridge "boring" are the ones that have never ridden there.

mtbr member
    or ride reeeeeeally slow...I mean like almost fall over from lack of momentum slow
    Pedigre

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    havent been there in a while, all you gotta remember is to duck for the fallen trees and keep a finger on those brakes. there is another underdeveloped trail if you stay to the right heading onto the main trail then turn right on the first right turn you can possibly go, there is a bit of more of an elevation change there but there is also lots a mud.
    "If women don't find handsome , they should at least find you handy."-Red Green

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    just don't get too comfortable if you're relaxing by the pond. lots of poisonous snakes!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Been there 3 times so far.
    The Bike trail is too narrow for my comfort and i hate clipping the handlebar if i go too fast.

Found a new trail
    "Creek Hike & Bike Trail" and there is lots of elevation and i think there is a 4-5 ft drop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skewe
    The Bike trail is too narrow for my comfort and i hate clipping the handlebar if i go too fast.

Found a new trail
    "Creek Hike & Bike Trail" and there is lots of elevation and i think there is a 4-5 ft drop.
    Are you referring to Cypress Creek Hike & Bike?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    Are you referring to Cypress Creek Hike & Bike?
    Yup...

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skewe

Found a new trail
    Having ridden flintridge with "hot laps" now, I can say that is a trail best served fast.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Does anybody want to help me maintain and build some bridges to improve the trail flow and add some technical areas?

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    Quote Originally Posted by sworkscamber View Post
    Does anybody want to help me maintain and build some bridges to improve the trail flow and add some technical areas?
    yes , i rode there today and it sucks not having some of those bridges on the south loop. do you need pallets ?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Just to clarify, are you talking about the Flintridge trail located in the George Mitchell Nature Preserve? If so, are you talking about building new bridges and technical features on the existing main loop or the new South loop? If we're talking about the same trails, South loop or main loop, then you need to talk to the trail steward before building anything. Whether or not new bridges NEED to be build you still need to get approval before doing anything. I know that the bridges probably need to be repaired or new bridges installed in certain areas and they're not getting repaired/built as fast as you like but beware that doing so without approval can backfire. Unauthorized repairs and additions can cause the owners of the land (probably The Woodlands or a local precinct) to close the trails permenantly and everyone loses. Don't think they won't come in and destroy the trails like what happened at Cypresswood. One rogue builder can ruin it for everyone. If you're not talking about the same trails as I am then beware that building unauthorized trails, bridges, or features on private property or County/City property can sour land owners against mountain bikers and make it hard for us to gain authorization to build new things. Check the ghorba.org forum for the email address of the local trail steward and work with them. They're always gung-ho about meeting new people who want to work on the trails.

Mike S.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I'm talking about the flintridge trails off in the nature preserve. The trails have not been maintained and the erosion is so bad that the trails are almost not able to be ridden. There is 1 section that the bridge was washed away and it was a crappy bridge at that. The trails just need some help by local bike riders. The woodlands is not keeping the trails maintained and every person that was walking by me today thanked me for improving the trails. Sometimes it's better to as for forgiveness than permission.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nuck_chorris View Post
    yes , i rode there today and it sucks not having some of those bridges on the south loop. do you need pallets ?
    No if we are going to build it we are going to do it correctly with pressure treated lumber. I have the supply's for most of this. I just need some hands and tools and great ideas

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I'm talking about the flintridge trails off in the nature preserve. The trails have not been maintained and the erosion is so bad that the trails are almost not able to be ridden. There is 1 section that the bridge was washed away and it was a crappy bridge at that. The trails just need some help by local bike riders. The woodlands is not keeping the trails maintained and every person that was walking by me today thanked me for improving the trails. Sometimes it's better to as for forgiveness than permission.
    Mike S. speaks a lot of truth. The trails you are speaking of are "bandit" trails to begin with and not a part of the official trail system and reside on private property.Please swing by the GHORBA forums and join up with the local trail group, operating above board and with permission generates positive long term results.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than permission.
    Not in this instance it doesn't. I'm not going to give you a long lecture as you're obviously not going to listen but it takes a long time to gain favor with private land owners and local officials but it only takes one rogue person to destroy it all. GHORBA worked long and hard to earn the right to build on county owned land and while we have permission to do pretty much whatever we want at Flintridge we still need to ask permission to do so just out of courtesy and respect. The bandit South trail is on private property like bobdole said and can jeapordize the currenty authorized trail. When the powers that be find the South trail, and they will, they will assume GHORBA did the work and come asking about it. They will either understand when GHORBA tells them that we don't condone the work on the bandit trail or they will be angry that we didn't do anything to stop it. They could remove GHORBA as the authorized trail stewards and let the trail fall into disrepair eventually making it unridable. As a worse case scenario they could bulldoze it. That's what happened in the Parker Track at Cypresswood years ago. We all want new trails but if we don't gain permission from the land owners then we're just asking for trouble. Work with us (us being GHORBA) and we'll hopfully find a solution. Work against us and we all lose.

Mike S.

mtbr member
    Mike S.,

Is the south loop seriously a bandit trail? My GPS track puts it on the preserve land according to google maps (all in green shaded area), thoigh there are a couple turns where it obviously would go onto private lands if you took them.

If it is in fact illegal I'll have to stop riding it, but I was really pleased with the trail when I first found it. Any hope of getting it legitimized if it's not already?
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The trail is on George Mitchell Preserve property but GHORBA did not ask if they could build it therefore it's not an official trail. Most people don't understand that building a trail isn't just about getting out there with a shovel and rake and picking good lines. You have to worry about things like errosion and believe it or not habitat. Build a trail incorrectly or in the wrong spot and you can cause not only the trail but the surrounding area to disappear over time due to errosion. Build a trail thru some endangered slugs habitat and you're facing federal charges plus the wrath of slug lovers. When the new Double Lake loop was being built they had to re-route a good portion of the trail because there was some endangered bird, bug, or something that lived there. While I couldn't care less about endangered birds and bugs other people do and they have an ear with the government. If some land owner walks around his land and finds out it's erroding into a stream or bayou because someone dug up the grass and roots to build a trail he's going to want to sue someone.

Here's the deal, I'm part of GHORBA just like many of the people reading this post and we all want the same thing; new trails and improved trails. But you have to understand that there are rules and if you take the time to go by the rules you get things done. Go against the rules and you waste your time building trails that are going to get torn down plus you may end up ruining other projects that are in the works. GHORBA doesn't always advertise what they're working on as there's so much behind-the-scenes stuff going on it would take forever to describe it all.l Are you aware that we're getting ready to cut 11.8 new miles of trail at Huntsville State Park? Heard about the possible connector trail going from the Cypresswood trail in Collins Park to the Timberland trails? Did you know that there is a new trail being cut in Sugar Land near Hwy 59 and Hwy 99 called the Riverbend Trail? Two miles are already cut with up to a total of 6 miles at finish. GHORBA is up to lots of things but unfortunately they take lots of time. The Double Lake expansion took two years and the Huntsville expansion will probably be 2 years from start to finish. We'd love to add more stuff at Flintridge but we have to go thru the proper proceedure. Personally I'd like to see a bunch of TTF's there like the ones at Sugar Land Memorial.

Mike Strawn

mtbr member
    Mike,

Thanks for the details, didn't realize that the Flintridge South Loop wasn't legit. I'll steer clear of it on future rides.

Agreed that we need to go through the proper permitting process for all new trails, that way we get to keep them

Regards,
    Kipp
    Quiring KVA MS2 29er SS
    Quiring XCr Road
    Tallboy Carbon
    Fisticuff
    ARR | IMBA NMBP

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Though, it is good to see that many have strong feelings about their trail. This is what compels GHORBA to do what it does

Check out the flintridge forum @ GHORBA GHORBA :: View Forum - Flintridge
    And if you want to help out join our work party email list at http://groups.google.com/group/flintridge-trailwork

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    Not in this instance it doesn't. I'm not going to give you a long lecture as you're obviously not going to listen but it takes a long time to gain favor with private land owners and local officials but it only takes one rogue person to destroy it all. GHORBA worked long and hard to earn the right to build on county owned land and while we have permission to do pretty much whatever we want at Flintridge we still need to ask permission to do so just out of courtesy and respect. The bandit South trail is on private property like bobdole said and can jeapordize the currenty authorized trail. When the powers that be find the South trail, and they will, they will assume GHORBA did the work and come asking about it. They will either understand when GHORBA tells them that we don't condone the work on the bandit trail or they will be angry that we didn't do anything to stop it. They could remove GHORBA as the authorized trail stewards and let the trail fall into disrepair eventually making it unridable. As a worse case scenario they could bulldoze it. That's what happened in the Parker Track at Cypresswood years ago. We all want new trails but if we don't gain permission from the land owners then we're just asking for trouble. Work with us (us being GHORBA) and we'll hopfully find a solution. Work against us and we all lose.

Mike S.
    Mike i dont mean to sound rude and i want to get things done properly but you cannot tell me the way you guys im talking about GHORBA are doing your jobs. Maybe you should be removed as the trail stewards. I will try it your way but if i dont get the approval, i sorry but im going to do it anyways. our trail systems in Houston are very poorly maintained, very few have signs or markers for trails. go ride in austin or san antonio and tell me that we are keeping up with this sport. i believe we are doing it an injustice and the trails we have are not keeping up with the sport. is it a funding problem? permission problem or just a board of members that were told no too much and are not fighting for the trails this city deserves. Just to let you know the trails have falling in "disrepair" if you are the trail stewards what have you done to correct this problem? the woodlands just tore down and built a new skate park. the woodlands has 3 of them already, did you ever petition to get the trails rebuilt. maybe we can get the woodlands to invest? maybe a charity event to raise money and bring awareness to this sport which is exploding. and they did take the cypresswood trails down years ago but look at it now, i believe it to be the best trail in houston. I just want to build better trails for everybody to ride and the trails in the woodlands seems to be built for mountain biking circa 1990

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    i don't feel your being rude and I do like your get-it-done attitude. The original Flintridge trail steward was Gordon Craig but I am not sure if he's still the trail steward or not. I'll find out and post my finding here. If there's not a current trail steward would you be willing to fill the position? It sounds like it would be right up your alley as you obviously like the trail and are willing to put in the time to work on it. If there is a current trail steward I know for a fact they'd love for you to help out in any way. I rode Flintridge a month ago and you are right, it needs lots of attention. Like I mentioned earlier I'd love to see some TTF's like the ones at Sugar Land built at Flintridge. Going thru GHORBA you'd not only get approval but also help with materials and equipment. It's a win-win for you, GHORBA, and the local biking community.

The only issue I have with you is your attitude of I'm going to do it with or without permission. If you decide to work without proper approval you will not only upset the land owners (in this case the county) and GHORBA but you could face fines or jail time if caught for defacing private property. Your trails and bridges could be destroyed by the county and all your hard work would be for naught. Don't go this route; you'd be wasting your time and upsetting alot of people who want to work with you and not against you. Me included.

Mike S.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Bobdole, you're VP of Trails. Who's the current trail steward at Flintridge?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The only issue I have with you is your attitude of I'm going to do it with or without permission. If you decide to work without proper approval you will not only upset the land owners (in this case the county) and GHORBA but you could face fines or jail time if caught for defacing private property. Your trails and bridges could be destroyed by the county and all your hard work would be for naught. Don't go this route; you'd be wasting your time and upsetting alot of people who want to work with you and not against you. Me included.

Sorry about that, that is my skateboarding side coming out and putting the sport above other important things. I could care less about getting fined or jail time which i dont believe would happen. i just want to get these trails maintained and bring more people to the woodlands to ride. i have lived in the woodlands for 4 years now and have just seen these trails get passed up by other houston trails. i dislike having to get in my car and drive 25 to 30 minutes to get a enjoyable ride. these trails have so much potential and i would like to get it done properly and keep up with the sport. i was waiting for the proposed trails to be built but that never happened so im taking it upon myself. now i know the procedure i will try my best to follow them. i spent 3 hours working on just erosion and packing down some sand so it doesnt slow you down as much. i havent built anything yet and if the trail steward saw the construction of the "bandit south loop" or pallet bridges i can understand why they would say no. building a trail isnt just nailing a 2x4 to a fallen tree and calling that a tff. a stacked pallet bridge? are we so lazy that we cant set a couple of posts in the ground and some 2x6 for the joists and just use the top boards of the pallet? is that ghorba building those or just rouge builders. i would tear that down too if i saw it

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Rogue builders built the South Loop and put down the bridges. I rode the South loop last time I was out there and with alot of work it could be a good addtion. But first we need the trail steward to get permission to work on that land. It's 50/50 whether it would be approved or not. Another good trail nearby is the Carl Barton, Jr trail just north in Conroe. It has lots of potential but no one who wants to work it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    my big rush is that my wife having a baby and i wont be able to get out of the house for 3 hours to ride. i can ride 1 mile to the flintridge trail for a warm up and then hit the trails. i would like to get my local trails built and i hope more people would do the same around houston

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    hmm--58 degrees weather's nice-- we all should be out on a ride !

Drinking the Slick_Juice
    man the south loop is the best part of flintridge

mtbr member
    was in Mckinney this weekend and almost got to ride Big Cedar... will be back in a couple weeks to ride Big Cedar, North Shore, and Erwin park... Just ran outta time this trip.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    Bobdole, you're VP of Trails. Who's the current trail steward at Flintridge?
    Kevin Franklin, hes available through the googlegroup.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    What googlegroup is that? Can you email me his contact information please?

Mike S.

Members who have read this thread: 1