Flat Rock Ranch- Mtbr.com

Thread: Flat Rock Ranch

mtbr member
    May 2008

Flat Rock Ranch

I have had the new bike for about a month now. I have been to McAlister park a couple of times as well as the ditches(no trails here in CC). I want to take this new passion to the next level and want some input regarding where to go. The review on mountainbiketx.com of Flat Rock Ranch looks great. What do you guys think? Too much too soon, or just go for it. I am working myself up because I would like to go to a bike park some time this summer- Keystone, Northstar, Whistler.
    2008 Jamis Durango 3

Jan 2009
    so how long exactly have you been riding? I say go for it, but hey, i'm a pretty optimistic person!
    i don't know any trails around there.. sry to be of no help... but i'm glad you found a new passion i do wish you great times!

mtbr member
    It's really hard to say as to whether FLR would be too much too soon or not for you. A lot really depends on your confidence and abilities, though it sounds like you are doing ok as far as confidence.

If you do hit FLR, I would recommend the Lower Loop over the Upper Loop. Depending upon any significant reroutes on Jimmy's part since October, IMO the Lower Loop is the "easiest" of the two main loops. Having just rode the Upper the other day, I'd say it's a touch more technical in spots than the Lower. Yeah, I need to update the trail review, I know.

Again, however, it all depends on you. One of the individuals who rode with me the other day borrowed my 'K2 Klunker' and it was his first time mtbin'...oddly enough, he did better than some of the others I was with who have been riding longer. He was big on the confidence, though low on the technique...and probably in better shape.

I'd say go for it. As long as you know when you should dismount, you'll be good. Remember, there's nothing wrong with walking a section if it means you will be able to ride the next.

On a side note, have you thought about hitting any other trails between you and Flat Rock?
    Pedigre

Chilling out
    FRR definitely wants a more healthy rider, as it has more climbing per mile on average than most TX trail destinations.

While I agree in general with Pedigre's opinions, I'd say that most of the Upper is new-b friendly AS LONG AS they recoginize there will be portions that they should just walk-first before barrelling into. ;^)

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I was able to make it through the whole trail with no issues and I am not a strong climber. Ted is right, pace yourself on the climbs.

When I rode it last alan was on a singlespeed.

There are plenty of pics on my site if you are inteterested in seeing the terrain.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by austin_bike
    I was able to make it through the whole trail with no issues and I am not a strong climber. Ted is right, pace yourself on the climbs.

When I rode it last alan was on a singlespeed.

There are plenty of pics on my site if you are inteterested in seeing the terrain.
    I rode the Lower Loop last week, it is in very good shape.

While there is a fair bit of climbing, if you pace yourself it is all good.... and the views are worth all of the effort.

I have found FRR to be extremely SS friendly.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Members who have read this thread: 0