First Time at AntHills in Houston (Amazing Ride)- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 94 of 94
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    236

    Good job! First Time at AntHills in Houston (Amazing Ride)

    I rode at the AntHills (Terry Hershey Park) this weekend and it was an amazing ride. AntHills has some of the best mountain bike trails I have experienced so far in the Houston area. For reference, AntHills tops my list and I have been to Memorial, Double Lake, Huntsville, and Cypress. The trails closer to the bayou are definitely more intermediate to advanced. There are definitely some tough sections on these trails which make them a challenge and this is coming from someone that just got back from a 10 day mountain biking trip to Steamboat Springs, Colorado (Bike Town USA). There are smooth sections where you can pickup speed, there are good climbing sections, and there are great technical sections. In addition, there are bypasses to most of the technical areas so you can get a good flow going if you don't want to traverse a technical area. There are also some fairly technical downhill sections. Overall, a place you cannot miss if you enjoy mountain biking.

    It will be a sad day if they go ahead with the destruction of this section of the bayou to build detention ponds. This place is a great asset to the mountain biking community.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    10
    Yea amazing trail.. only downfall that it is packed last time I went it was like driving on I-10 after work

  3. #3
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    I'd hate to see the end of the Anthills, imo the best trails in the Houston area. I rode Sunday with a few people I met on the trail.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    236
    I was out there on Sunday as well (about 3pm to 5pm). I was on a Red Pivot Mach 429.

  5. #5
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    I was out there on Sunday as well (about 3pm to 5pm). I was on a Red Pivot Mach 429.
    I think we had all split up and left at that time. I was on a silver DiamondBack

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    After things dry up, post up a meetup and let's ride the Anthills!!! I live a four minute bike ride from the Eldridge drop in and I enjoy these trail five days a week!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  7. #7
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    A friend and I are planning on going this weekend if it's dry. Anyone do night riding at Anthills? I got some magicshines but I suspect it's pretty spooky at night.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    A friend and I are planning on going this weekend if it's dry. Anyone do night riding at Anthills? I got some magicshines but I suspect it's pretty spooky at night.
    We got a late start yesterday and came off the trail at dark and, to my surprise, there were a number of people heading in with lights. So, I'm guessing it's a pretty popular night ride!!
    Last edited by Andy Pancroft; 11-15-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  9. #9
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    We got a late start yesterday and came off the trail at dark and, to my surprise, there were a number of people heading in with lights. So, I'm guessing it's a pretty popular night ride!!
    Cool! I guess I'll have to try that out this week.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    695
    I used to ride at night quite a bit solo...that is definately a bit spooky, but isn't that the fun. May be time for group ride.

    If you are locals and want to help with the fight, please go to ghorba.org (you will find information on the home page and forums).

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    I used to ride at night quite a bit solo...that is definately a bit spooky, but isn't that the fun. May be time for group ride.

    If you are locals and want to help with the fight, please go to ghorba.org (you will find information on the home page and forums).
    Already signed the petition(s)!!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  12. #12
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    I used to ride at night quite a bit solo...that is definately a bit spooky, but isn't that the fun. May be time for group ride.

    If you are locals and want to help with the fight, please go to ghorba.org (you will find information on the home page and forums).
    I'm local but not in the city limits. I'm a city employee too, can't even vote for the mayor.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by rafdog View Post
    I used to ride at night quite a bit solo...that is definately a bit spooky, but isn't that the fun. May be time for group ride.

    If you are locals and want to help with the fight, please go to ghorba.org (you will find information on the home page and forums).
    I've rode at Memorial a few times at night solo and it is quite spooky, I kept looking over my back, and the lights really light up all the bugs and spiders hanging. *shudders*

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    236
    You can go to the facebook page and show your support for The Anthills (leave a message or just "Like" the page). Also, I signed the online petition and I live in Conroe. See below. I will be out riding again at The Anthills on Saturday not sure if it will be early or late yet still trying to get two other riders to come with me.

    Facebook Page for Opposing the Detention Basins
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Opp...75934632494511

    Save Terry Hershey Park Petition (Anthills)
    Environment Petition: Save the Terry Hershey Park Forest | Change.org

  15. #15
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    I just realized I started riding the Anthills when I first got my Y-5 13 years ago. lol

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Blk02 View Post
    You can go to the facebook page and show your support for The Anthills (leave a message or just "Like" the page). Also, I signed the online petition and I live in Conroe. See below. I will be out riding again at The Anthills on Saturday not sure if it will be early or late yet still trying to get two other riders to come with me.

    Facebook Page for Opposing the Detention Basins
    Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

    Save Terry Hershey Park Petition (Anthills)
    Environment Petition: Save the Terry Hershey Park Forest | Change.org
    I'm down for Saturday!! Post up or PM when a where you drop in!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    The Anthills are great. It seems like they change every time a significant storm surge comes in. Always keeps you on your toes. Don't be afraid to venture into the slightly overgrown stuff lower than the high trail against the houses and higher than the the trails right along the bayou. There is alot of cool, techy stuff hiding that you don't always see.

  18. #18
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    852
    Noooooo, the anthills totally suck! Worst trail I have ever ridden. You would be better off not visiting them and hitting Memorial Park instead.

    Thanks and have fun at Memorial.

  19. #19
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Sugarland is sweet too!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Anyone wanna hit the Anthills after dark?? I am ready to roll the Lupine Betty 12!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Sugarland is sweet too!
    Sugarland is fun if you like smooth and flowy trails. There are also a few technicals you can hit if you want some excitement. Just an FYI, the park/trail is closed when darkness hit, I had a cop waiting for me at my car with a warning onne time.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Sugarland is fun if you like smooth and flowy trails. There are also a few technicals you can hit if you want some excitement. Just an FYI, the park/trail is closed when darkness hit, I had a cop waiting for me at my car with a warning onne time.
    The Anthills???
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    The Anthills???
    No mtb bike currently...just parts

  24. #24
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    852
    Every ride after work is a night ride now.

  25. #25
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    Sugarland is fun if you like smooth and flowy trails. There are also a few technicals you can hit if you want some excitement. Just an FYI, the park/trail is closed when darkness hit, I had a cop waiting for me at my car with a warning onne time.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonylokrn View Post
    No mtb bike currently...just parts
    I think he was asking whether it was the Anthills the cop was waiting for you at.

    Went Anthills night riding last night, crashed pretty hard but nothing broken. That place is more fun at night.


    Sugarland night riding is tricky, you gotta park in the neighborhood and ride to the park.

  26. #26
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    21
    Memorial is great fun also, I dont get why some of you think one trail is better than the other. Memorial has good stuff to offer, just different. The triangle is tough, but the Green trail is great fun and fast. Orange trail is my favorite.

  27. #27
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    I actually never rode Sugarland. Toff and I are goofing around. A few years ago the Anthills wouldn't even be mentioned in public because it wasn't considered a bonified trail system. It was a pretty well kept secret for a LONG time!

    But hey. I stopped at Anns Oasis liqueur store on my home from work today, and noticed a bike shop in that same strip center. Any word on that shop?

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    32
    What tires are you liking out here?

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by Madferrett View Post
    What tires are you liking out here?
    http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/south-t...ns-708246.html

  30. #30
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Nevagals work great, but are heavy with slow rolling resistance and I think the lugs are spaced too far apart for the hardpack conditions at least at the Anthills. I like the Karmas for the lightweight, less rolling resistance and they hook up well aspect, but I think they look kinda funny and don't trust the wide spaced lugs in the hardpack.

    I have some Small Block 8's on the way.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Anyone interested in pulling together a late afternoon or night ride in the Anthills???
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: frankiefrijoles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22
    first post. love the anthills! pray they stay

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HAL 9000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1,804
    Quote Originally Posted by Madferrett View Post
    What tires are you liking out here?
    Challenge Grifo works well on my Cyclocross bike when rolling thru the anthills.

    Any of the "microknob" tires Kenda Small Block 8's, Maxxis Ikon or Specialized Renegade works well in the Houston/South Texas area.

    Seriously anything more aggressive than a Specialized Fast Track is overkill for south Texas.

    However...if you just have to have knobs Kenda Karma is a good all-around tire.

  34. #34
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    I put some Panaracer Fires on my bike... that was a mistake. They're too sticky for our area. I'm looking at small block 8's for an xmas present.

  35. #35
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by HAL 9000 View Post
    Challenge Grifo works well on my Cyclocross bike when rolling thru the anthills.

    Any of the "microknob" tires Kenda Small Block 8's, Maxxis Ikon or Specialized Renegade works well in the Houston/South Texas area.

    Seriously anything more aggressive than a Specialized Fast Track is overkill for south Texas.

    However...if you just have to have knobs Kenda Karma is a good all-around tire.
    A few years ago I was really considering semi slicks as I thought they would work well on that hardpack and the roots. Maybe a little loose on the sand over hardpack though so I never tried them. I'm running Karmas right now and they hook very well on my new Fuel, but on a hardtail I had I ended up with a SB8 in the rear and kept a Karma up front since I was loosing grip in the rear on the rooted climbs and read that the SB8s have a little push up front.

    I have some SB8s on the way and I'm gonna try them on both ends on the Fuel for awhile. This is my first 120mm travel bike and this all new to me but I agree with smaller closer placed blocks. I have been racing RC cars in Houston on hard packed clay since 93 and have found that smaller, closer placed lugs with a soft compound almost always work better.
    Last edited by Gary H; 12-07-2011 at 05:51 PM.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: frankiefrijoles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Madferrett View Post
    What tires are you liking out here?
    swork renegades front and rear

  37. #37
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiefrijoles View Post
    swork renegades front and rear
    Welcome to MTBR!

    Those tires look a lot like Karmas with the wide spaced lugs. How's the durometer?

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: frankiefrijoles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    22
    Can't beat it. Terry Hershey tubeless rigid feels like butter. I washed out for a bit but i became a better rider in the end

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    Hi all, I'm fairly new to this and my buddies have taken me out to Terry Hershey and we park at the Memorial (near Eldridge) lot and ride back to where there's a lot of like BMX jumps and stuff. Is this the same 'anthills' that people are talking about? Is there more to THP that we're not riding? We pass under about 4 overpasses if that helps at all.

  40. #40
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    Hi all, I'm fairly new to this and my buddies have taken me out to Terry Hershey and we park at the Memorial (near Eldridge) lot and ride back to where there's a lot of like BMX jumps and stuff. Is this the same 'anthills' that people are talking about? Is there more to THP that we're not riding? We pass under about 4 overpasses if that helps at all.
    Yep, that's it!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  41. #41
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    Hi all, I'm fairly new to this and my buddies have taken me out to Terry Hershey and we park at the Memorial (near Eldridge) lot and ride back to where there's a lot of like BMX jumps and stuff. Is this the same 'anthills' that people are talking about? Is there more to THP that we're not riding? We pass under about 4 overpasses if that helps at all.
    That's the one!

    I was out there this morning. Maybe my 5th time out there. I had a great time. Cleared some stuff I hadn't been able to before. Actually saw some people who were worse riders than me. Hey, it's the little things.

    If any of y'all see me out there, say Hi. I am tall and skinny and ride a white bike with black rims.

  42. #42
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Ill prolly be hitting TAH early tomorrow. Ill be the old fat, out of shape, just getting back into riding on a Fuel EX8 with a goofy looking Go Pro camera duct taped to my helmet, guy.


    biffg's Channel - YouTube

  43. #43
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Ill prolly be hitting TAH early tomorrow. Ill be the old fat, out of shape, just getting back into riding on a Fuel EX8 with a goofy looking Go Pro camera duct taped to my helmet, guy.


    biffg's Channel - YouTube
    What time and where are you dropping in - I'l ride with ya!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  44. #44
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    What time and where are you dropping in - I'l ride with ya!!
    I dunno. 7:00am at the waterfall on Highway 6?

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    hehe, I'm definitely one of those 'worse riders' than you since I only started biking mid-November (well the last time I've been on a bike before this was probably when I was like 15). We usually around 7am Sundays since most of the guys I ride with have families and I guess that's the only time the 'ball-n-chain' give them recess. Anyway, if you're ever passing anyone on a white specialized camber comp it's probably me.

  46. #46
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    hehe, I'm definitely one of those 'worse riders' than you since I only started biking mid-November (well the last time I've been on a bike before this was probably when I was like 15). We usually around 7am Sundays since most of the guys I ride with have families and I guess that's the only time the 'ball-n-chain' give them recess. Anyway, if you're ever passing anyone on a white specialized camber comp it's probably me.
    Dude, I'm 53 years old, out of shape, and smoke. It's not about speed for me, it's about the fun and getting out there. Come ride with us!

    7:00am!

    biffg's Channel - YouTube

    biffg's Channel - YouTube

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    I live closer to Eldridge - going to 6 would be the other direction for me. I can met you at Eldridge right before going under the bridge!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  48. #48
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    I live closer to Eldridge - going to 6 would be the other direction for me. I can met you at Eldridge right before going under the bridge!!
    I live on Highway 6. I guess I can park at the Memorial park lot and truck over to the bridge @ Eldridge.

    7:30 ok Andy?

  49. #49
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I live on Highway 6. I guess I can park at the Memorial park lot and truck over to the bridge @ Eldridge.

    7:30 ok Andy?
    Man I'd like to join you guys but I did three hours at Memorial today, kinda sore.

    Is there a better parking spot than at Memorial? I either park there or the shut down restaurant at eldridge/enclave

  50. #50
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Man I'd like to join you guys but I did three hours at Memorial today, kinda sore.

    Is there a better parking spot than at Memorial? I either park there or the shut down restaurant at eldridge/enclave
    Parking is somewhat of a pain for TAH. Since I live near West Oaks, I normally ride the levee along Highway 6 to the trails. It's a boring ride, but lets me add some miles on the Cateye and makes me think about "Spinning" rather than mashing the pedals.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Man I'd like to join you guys but I did three hours at Memorial today, kinda sore.

    Is there a better parking spot than at Memorial? I either park there or the shut down restaurant at eldridge/enclave
    Lots of people park at the office building on the Bayou and Dairy Ashford - that's actually where the trail gets interesting!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Parking is somewhat of a pain for TAH. Since I live near West Oaks, I normally ride the levee along Highway 6 to the trails. It's a boring ride, but lets me add some miles on the Cateye and makes me think about "Spinning" rather than mashing the pedals.
    Okay. You wanna say 7:30 at the bridge right at Eldridge??
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  52. #52
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Lots of people park at the office building on the Bayou and Dairy Ashford - that's actually where the trail gets interesting!!


    Okay. You wanna say 7:30 at the bridge right at Eldridge??
    Works for me! Seriously though, I am slow and out of shape.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Parking is somewhat of a pain for TAH. Since I live near West Oaks, I normally ride the levee along Highway 6 to the trails. It's a boring ride, but lets me add some miles on the Cateye and makes me think about "Spinning" rather than mashing the pedals.
    I live right next to that lot. What do you drive and I'll see you there! And, it's not always about going fast!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  54. #54
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    I live right next to that lot. What do you drive and I'll see you there! And, it's. It always about going fast!!!
    Blue Ford Ranger. And I'm serious, I really do ride slow. See ya tamale!

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Blue Ford Ranger. And I'm serious, I really do ride slow. See ya tamale!
    I watched one of your videos. You'll be fine. See you in the morning!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  56. #56
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    I'm not gonna be able to make it out today guys. I have to run out to Porter.

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I'm not gonna be able to make it out today guys. I have to run out to Porter.
    No worries!! Had a good ride...brisk, trails was nice!!! Maybe next time!!??
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  58. #58
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Lots of people park at the office building on the Bayou and Dairy Ashford - that's actually where the trail gets interesting!!


    Okay. You wanna say 7:30 at the bridge right at Eldridge??
    Which building in particular? Heading out there in a few mins.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Which building in particular? Heading out there in a few mins.
    There's only one there!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  60. #60
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Guess I'll have to go look!

  61. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Guess I'll have to go look!
    Did you get a ride in there today??
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  62. #62
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Did you get a ride in there today??
    Didn't go unfortunately. Wife and kids wanted to get outside so we went to Sugarland so I could at least ride something.

  63. #63
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Which building in particular? Heading out there in a few mins.
    Going southbound on Dairy Ashford, just after you cross the bayou, on your left, there is a trailhead parking lot next to an office bldg. You probably found it already...

  64. #64
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Going southbound on Dairy Ashford, just after you cross the bayou, on your left, there is a trailhead parking lot next to an office bldg. You probably found it already...
    Actually haven't been on that part of DA since finding Anthills, so never considered looking for parking, lol. (only started riding in June)

  65. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Actually haven't been on that part of DA since finding Anthills, so never considered looking for parking, lol. (only started riding in June)
    I live right near the lot on Memorial, let me know when you roll out and I can meet you for a trip down the trail!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  66. #66
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Sounds good to me. I'll probably be slow though, been working on technique garnered from the Mastering Mountain Bike Skills book.

  67. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    Sounds good to me. I'll probably be slow though, been working on technique garnered from the Mastering Mountain Bike Skills book.
    I'm right there with you!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  68. #68
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Shall we try to meet up again this weekend?

  69. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Shall we try to meet up again this weekend?
    Sure, that will be great!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  70. #70
    XC racer
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    281
    There are four designated parking lots for THP, the one on Dairy Ashford south of the bayou by the office building, the one on Memorial just west of Eldridge, Hwy 6 at the bayou, and Beltway 8 at the bayou. I rode there last on Sunday, I prefer to park at the Beltway lot coming from inside the loop, then ride the paved path (and some fields alongside), then cross Wilcrest and go into the trails there. I prefer to stay up as high as possible, or sometimes ride the highline going one direction and alongside the bayou coming back. The Ant Hills have been my favorite Houston area trail for years. Memorial Park is too crowded and over ridden, Cypresswood is kind of short to me, and I get tired of ducking constantly at JBP. Ant Hills are just a fun place to ride and a good place for everyone from rank beginner to high level racerbois. I too hope the retention pond idea gets the axe. The county commissioner for the area has voiced his disapproval and he carries a lot of weight.

  71. #71
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    I used to live at Westheimer/Wilcrest a little over 10 years ago and liked riding from home for the warm up on the way there, and cool the down and the way home. And the plus was the lowers near Wilcrest is a little more technical, or at least it was back in the day. And the Bowl always scared the chit outta me. That was always my first stop.

    Now that I'm staying on Highway 6, I found something new with that warm up, cool down ride at Hershey park.

    GIRLS!

    True story. A couple summers ago I was heading north on the levee nearing the waterfall and dropped down on that asphalt section at Briarforest. It was HOT!, I mean HOUSTON HOT in August!

    This very good looking Hispanic chick on a road bike was coming at me with one of those "Zippered" jerseys and I guess had the zipper down for the cooling effect, saw me and decided not to zip it back up since I'm an old guy and no threat.

    I bought a Go Pro camera.

  72. #72
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    lol you must post up some of this gopro vid

  73. #73
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    lol you must post up some of this gopro vid
    Dude, she was fine! Leaning forward on the road bike. Sweat, brown chingaderos, OMG!

  74. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    191
    If its dry enough to ride this weekend I may join y'all. I never really ride TH because as mentioned earlier, the parking situation SUCKS.

  75. #75
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    Dude, she was fine! Leaning forward on the road bike. Sweat, brown chingaderos, OMG!
    Sounds like something out of a movie.

    Quote Originally Posted by Go! Ninja Go! View Post
    If its dry enough to ride this weekend I may join y'all. I never really ride TH because as mentioned earlier, the parking situation SUCKS.
    Rained last night, supposed to rain tomorrow, probably too wet to ride

  76. #76
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Andy Pancroft's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    515
    Got out yesterday - went up and back, trail was nice!! BUt, WTF...the mosquitos are back!!!
    If you don't like the way I ride, stay on the road!!!

  77. #77
    Wanderer
    Reputation: Toff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    852
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    ...the mosquitos are back!!!
    Just means you need to ride faster.

  78. #78
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    If it's dry enough, and if anyone is down for it, I'll be at the Dairy Ashford lot Saturday morning, and will roll out at about 9:20. Let me know if you want to try to meet. I'll go if low spots are damp, but not if slopes are still muddy. Don't want to tear anything up, including myself.

  79. #79
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    trail was dry enough today. i'll be out there at the DA lot at 9:20. i'm a tall skinny guy with a white bike, driving an orange element.

  80. #80
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I used to live at Westheimer/Wilcrest a little over 10 years ago and liked riding from home for the warm up on the way there, and cool the down and the way home. And the plus was the lowers near Wilcrest is a little more technical, or at least it was back in the day. And the Bowl always scared the chit outta me. That was always my first stop.

    Now that I'm staying on Highway 6, I found something new with that warm up, cool down ride at Hershey park.

    GIRLS!

    True story. A couple summers ago I was heading north on the levee nearing the waterfall and dropped down on that asphalt section at Briarforest. It was HOT!, I mean HOUSTON HOT in August!

    This very good looking Hispanic chick on a road bike was coming at me with one of those "Zippered" jerseys and I guess had the zipper down for the cooling effect, saw me and decided not to zip it back up since I'm an old guy and no threat.

    I bought a Go Pro camera.
    -hehe, I must seek out where this hwy-6 path is at. we ride starting at memorial/eldridge and haven't seen too many females, but then again early on a sunday isn't the prime time for those types to be out either. lol

    +1 vote for the video posting
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  81. #81
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    great ride at the anthills today. fell in behind some guys who were new to the trail (only their second time on it), braver on flat stuff, but not as good on climbs. went faster than i ever would have without them.

  82. #82
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    great ride at the anthills today. fell in behind some guys who were new to the trail (only their second time on it), braver on flat stuff, but not as good on climbs. went faster than i ever would have without them.
    I was there around 10:30 this morning, missed ya!

    anthills - YouTube

  83. #83
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    I was there around 10:30 this morning, missed ya!

    anthills - YouTube
    By 10:30 I was at the whole other end! I watched the video to see if i was in it anyway.

    every time i go out there i end up in places i have never seen. this time i saw a new place out toward eldridge, down lower than i had been before. AND, i saw a new place up near kirkwood, up higher than i had been before.

  84. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    191
    Damn I didn't even look to see if anyone was riding because I figured it would be too wet. I may go for a solo ride out there tomorrow morning after work.

  85. #85
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    son and i will be testing out his new GoPro Monday. if you see a tall skinny guy and his 13-yr-old son, say hi!
    Last edited by Bill in Houston; 12-18-2011 at 07:51 PM.

  86. #86
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    191
    I'm about to head out there, but living near Jack Brooks, it takes me a bit to get out there......and figure out where to park.

  87. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    127
    Went out Sunday morning with the group of guys I usually ride with and decided I'd take the trails they usually take instead of sticking to the flatter trails. My 5th time out and each time I'm able to get up/down something I wasn't able to previous times. Bridges are still my thing I need to get over though (I'm walking across all but about 2 bridges) I noticed though and wasn't sure if anyone else has seen/thought about it, but there are a few trees which have fallen but aren't completely on the ground. Meaning, you have to ride under them, and I'm not sure if they're stable or if they're liable to just come down on the next unfortunate rider. Most of them give you adequate space to either duck under or get off and walk under, but I just see someone's pack or helmet catching on something and rocking the tree off it's perch and coming down on top of them. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    2011 Yeti 575 Enduro - full XT group, Thomson cockpit, and Chris King upgrade

  88. #88
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    My 5th time out and each time I'm able to get up/down something I wasn't able to previous times.
    Same here! Building some confidence to grunt through and up stuff that used to stop me in my tracks.

    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    Bridges are still my thing I need to get over though (I'm walking across all but about 2 bridges).
    I think I'm riding all of the bridges except for the one next to the big metal pipe. But I might be riding different ones from you...

    Quote Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    I noticed though and wasn't sure if anyone else has seen/thought about it, but there are a few trees which have fallen but aren't completely on the ground. Meaning, you have to ride under them, and I'm not sure if they're stable or if they're liable to just come down on the next unfortunate rider. Most of them give you adequate space to either duck under or get off and walk under, but I just see someone's pack or helmet catching on something and rocking the tree off it's perch and coming down on top of them. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
    The one really bad one I am thinking of finally fell. I saw one other one that was stuck sort of precariously, but it looked less deadly. it is definitely something to be aware of...

  89. #89
    Need More Bikes
    Reputation: amgine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Same here! Building some confidence to grunt through and up stuff that used to stop me in my tracks.

    I think I'm riding all of the bridges except for the one next to the big metal pipe. But I might be riding different ones from you...

    The one really bad one I am thinking of finally fell. I saw one other one that was stuck sort of precariously, but it looked less deadly. it is definitely something to be aware of...
    That bridge over the big metal pipe gets me. I can ride everything else.

  90. #90
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Quote Originally Posted by amgine View Post
    That bridge over the big metal pipe gets me. I can ride everything else.
    The metal pipe at the water treatment plant? Where those strange fish hang out?

  91. #91
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,692
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary H View Post
    The metal pipe at the water treatment plant? Where those strange fish hang out?
    yuck!

  92. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    191
    Ill ride that bridge heading out, but on the return trip the angle is a bit funny. I know ill make it, but all it takes is once and I have bills to pay.

  93. #93
    Texan
    Reputation: Gary H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    1,345
    Hopefully the trail is dried out. I'm gonna give it a shot in the morning.

  94. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    6
    Went out today and it wasn't too wet. Was a great ride.

Similar Threads

  1. Save the Anthills, Houston, TX
    By WaveDude in forum Texas
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-11-2019, 12:13 PM
  2. Anthills in Houston worth riding?
    By MadDuc916 in forum Texas
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
  3. Anthills Houston
    By txyz in forum Texas
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-17-2009, 02:37 PM
  4. Houston, Anthills group ride, 8-30-08
    By Gary H in forum Texas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-27-2008, 07:41 AM
  5. The Anthills-Houston, TX
    By lonnie_20 in forum Texas
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 07:01 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.