Fires- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fires

meh

Fires

The "Boooo" thread had me wondering, have any trails been affected by the fires you guys know of down there?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    The "Boooo" thread had me wondering, have any trails been affected by the fires you guys know of down there?
    I haven't heard but, you almost have to think some have been affected - lots of acres burned??!!

since 4/10/2009
    My local trails burned a good bit early this summer. ~4 riding mi from my door in Nacogdoches. There was a small fire in a canebrake immediately across the street from a friend of mine's backyard the other day.

mtbr member
    There was a fire at Reimer's Ranch (near Spicewood/Hamilton Pool), but I don't know if any of the trails were affected. The park was being closed for a few days this week for cleanup was the last I heard.

The only other affected trails were the neighborhood trails at Steiner Ranch, but those aren't public.

mtbr member
    Man, Texas just really needs a big downpour!!!!

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Pancroft View Post
    Man, Texas just really needs a big downpour!!!!
    One big downpour wouldn't even be enough. Let's try a week of nothing but rain and then let's talk. That might be a good start.

Interesting thing I noticed about the fire on the trails in Nacogdoches. The trail itself in a few places was enough to serve as a fire line. You'd see everything burned on one side of the trail, and then on the other side of the trail nothing was touched. Thankfully that fire happened early in the season when it was low intensity.

Still, it made the people who live adjacent to the forest nervous, and it seems to have made the university (who owns it) nervous. This month they had a crew come out and clear a large fire line around the perimeter of the property so if another fire starts in there, it won't spread to the neighborhood so easily. Unfortunately, some of our trails were close to the property lines. So where once the trails passed through tight forest, they are now wide out in the open. Thankfully the equipment didn't damage the trails themselves, but we did lose a wooden jump or two.

ronbo613
    I was visiting a friend in Leander, we had to evacuate her neighborhood because a fire came within a hundred feet or so of homes.

Pretty scary stuff

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo613 View Post
    I was visiting a friend in Leander, we had to evacuate her neighborhood because a fire came within a hundred feet or so of homes.

Pretty scary stuff
    Very scary!!!