Finally a trail that is open!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Finally a trail that is open!!!!!

With all the rain we have had the North Texas trail systems took a BEATING! Quannah Hill was only open a few days the entire month of Sept and this month the same. Parks Of Aledo dissipates the water better and has been open a few more days and just last night the WMBC announced its OPEN for riding!!!! YEAH!!!!!!
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Awesome. That reminds me that I need to call Mineral Wells State Park and see how the trails are out there.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    I'm betting the bottomlands are still pretty nasty out there, but everything in the sand and rocks would be good to go. I really like the loop on the far North side, great views and a fun rocky trail to climb. Hardly anyone goes back there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    I'm betting the bottomlands are still pretty nasty out there, but everything in the sand and rocks would be good to go. I really like the loop on the far North side, great views and a fun rocky trail to climb. Hardly anyone goes back there.
    The sand is bad when it's wet. A friend and I hit those trails a couple of years ago right after the trails re-opened from a lot of rain fall. I was way out of shape then and my friend's weight made him sink into the sand. He was so happy to see that asphalt section in the middle.

This year I'm in better shape and plan to spend longer there since it takes a while to drive up there.
    Will swerve for leaves.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    Awesome. That reminds me that I need to call Mineral Wells State Park and see how the trails are out there.
    Mineral Wells State Park trails are never good, unless you really enjoy riding in sand. Maybe the rain will help them.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Mineral Wells State Park trails are never good, unless you really enjoy riding in sand. Maybe the rain will help them.
    Rain is never good for the sand in those trails. Unless you like sinking a few inches. The trails aren't bad for beginners really. Despite the water logged sand when I rode up there they aren't that terrible. Just a few challenges that I can think of.
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's been miserable here. I see some chunk of Big Cedar is open today, but others are reporting it's a bog.

I might guess that some trails, like LB Houston a couple years back, may not be open for months.

mtbr member
    And boom, just like that, POA is closed again

mtbr member
    And more rain on the way for North Texas... what the heck?!?!

I almost forgot what a single track looks like. If it weren't for riding in Bentonville for OuterBike and the IMBA Dirty 30 this last weekend, I would have forgotten.

I've been riding the north section of the Ray Roberts Greenbelt and the rails to trails from Weatherford to Mineral Wells just to get out and pedal without wearing my knobs on pavement.

Has anyone been riding north of the Red River? Anything open up yonder?
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Oklahoma is a wasteland bro! Last summer we went to Medicine Lodge to ride the local trails, Not MTB friendly with some pretty long straight climbs, baby head size rocks every few feet. We left there and went of the MTB trail just inside the Park at Below MT. Scott and rode those, man they were really overgrown and beat up pretty badly with very little signs of maintenance. Oh and 1000's of tiny ass ticks!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Grrr. Damn this rain. It has forced me to find some gravel trails and whatnot that are a bit better than road riding, but can't ride those in the FRIGGING RAIN.

mtbr member
    Oak Cliff Preserve is open! At least until it rains again tomorrow...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    Grrr. Damn this rain. It has forced me to find some gravel trails and whatnot that are a bit better than road riding, but can't ride those in the FRIGGING RAIN.
    I hear ya! I've been riding Ray Roberts Greenbelt (10 miles round trip) and the Mineral Wells Trailway (~40 miles round trip). Both of those are clear and ride-able. I recently checked out the Northeast Texas Trail from Farmersville east. That one starts out nice, and gets pretty rough the further you go. Overgrown, muddy, etc. It may get better as you get closer to the east end near New Boston, and maybe it's better around Paris. I didn't go that far on it. It's a long one... 260 miles round trip.

Never thought I'd have to resort to so such gravel riding because of the weather. I've actually found (and used) my rear shock lockout Probably the first time I've used high gear too for any length of time. I've also come to realize how much easier it is to ride flat stuff like this. 30, 40 miles is nothing compared to 10 on techy single track. But at east I'm getting out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    I hear ya! I've been riding Ray Roberts Greenbelt (10 miles round trip) and the Mineral Wells Trailway (~40 miles round trip). Both of those are clear and ride-able. I recently checked out the Northeast Texas Trail from Farmersville east. That one starts out nice, and gets pretty rough the further you go. Overgrown, muddy, etc. It may get better as you get closer to the east end near New Boston, and maybe it's better around Paris. I didn't go that far on it. It's a long one... 260 miles round trip.

Never thought I'd have to resort to so such gravel riding because of the weather. I've actually found (and used) my rear shock lockout Probably the first time I've used high gear too for any length of time. I've also come to realize how much easier it is to ride flat stuff like this. 30, 40 miles is nothing compared to 10 on techy single track. But at east I'm getting out!
    Haha yeah, I was getting kinda pridy about the distances I was pushing out on the Trinity Levee trails (better than concrete/asphalt, but not a ton). But it is much easier than even LBH.

Sounds like you are on the northern end of the Metroplex. Perhaps one of these days we can get in a ride together. Although I still need to get in some semblance of shape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Well at least I picked a good time to be swapping/building out a different frame ...

mtbr member
    Actually got a ride in at the Corinth Community Park MTB trail yesterday. It's kinda off the radar, not listed on DORBA, etc, so not the busiest trail. In fact, I was the only rider there yesterday. Pretty dry/packed, really wasn't even tacky. The 5 'big ditch' crossings actually had a little water in 'em, and a couple of the smaller dips had a couple feet of goop. It is a wooded trail and it's currently heavily covered with leaves, so if you're not familiar with this trail, you may get lost. Trailforks has a pretty accurate outline of this easy, tight ~5 mile loop trail. Easy enough to do 2-3 laps before the sun goes down. It's actually a kind of fun little romp.

Also, saw that Isle du Bois opened yesterday! I plan to go there today. Oh boy, 10+ miles of endless rock garden, but it beats gravel grinding. Gotta remember to increase my sag to 30%.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    Actually got a ride in at the Corinth Community Park MTB trail yesterday. It's kinda off the radar, not listed on DORBA, etc, so not the busiest trail. In fact, I was the only rider there yesterday. Pretty dry/packed, really wasn't even tacky. The 5 'big ditch' crossings actually had a little water in 'em, and a couple of the smaller dips had a couple feet of goop. It is a wooded trail and it's currently heavily covered with leaves, so if you're not familiar with this trail, you may get lost. Trailforks has a pretty accurate outline of this easy, tight ~5 mile loop trail. Easy enough to do 2-3 laps before the sun goes down. It's actually a kind of fun little romp.
    Thanks for the reminder about Corinth. For some reason I thought of it as being one of the last to be ridable after rain, like LB Houston. Do you know of any site that posts its trail status? I went to cityofcorinth.com but didn't see anything, so I'm assuming there's no formal open or close/use your judgment.
    Last edited by bike_Ninja; 11-17-2018 at 06:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    Thanks for the reminder about Corinth. For some reason I thought of it as being one of the last to be ridable after rain, like LB Houston. Do you know of any site that posts its trail status? I went to cityofcorinth.com but didn't see anything, so I'm assuming there's no formal open or close/use your judgment.
    Yeah, it can stay wet a long time, but it apparently has dried out nicely. Even the water crossing in the usually tall weeds that's fed by a spring (I believe) wasn't very wet. But no, I haven't seen any status' available for it online. I park at the small farthest east end lot and walk a bit of it to see if it's ride-able. Since it's such a tight knit trail, it's easy to see enough of it in a short walk to check its condition.

BTW, Isle du Bois is dry as well. Even sandy in the usual spots. Not a single wet spot. Heavy leaf coverage, so the rock gardens are hiding some gotcha's. Rode it yesterday. Pretty busy since it's the only DORBA trail open (as of yesterday).

Considering how dry I found Corinth and Isle du Bois to be, I'm surprised more trails aren't open, with the exception of those that are flooded by the lakes.