Extended miles in N. Texas- Mtbr.com
    Jacob 34:19

Extended miles in N. Texas

Being from the DFW area, I ride mostly the DORBA trials, which are great. However, most top out at around 20 miles or less. Is there anyplace to log some significant miles without doing laps? I'm guessing Cameron Park in Waco is an option. Are there any others? Doesn't necessarily have to be all singletrack. Fire roads or rails to trails would be fine as well. Just looking for someplace to get in a 40 - 50 mile ride without becoming a roadie.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAKEtheDOG
    Being from the DFW area, I ride mostly the DORBA trials, which are great. However, most top out at around 20 miles or less. Is there anyplace to log some significant miles without doing laps? I'm guessing Cameron Park in Waco is an option. Are there any others? Doesn't necessarily have to be all singletrack. Fire roads or rails to trails would be fine as well. Just looking for someplace to get in a 40 - 50 mile ride without becoming a roadie.
    Are you talking exclusively in the immediate DFW surrounding area?

- LBJ National Grasslands to your NW has like 75 miles
    - Bar H Ranch to the N has around 25+
    - Fairfield Lake State Park to the SE has 20.
    - Lake Mineral Wells State Park Trailway (Rails-to-Trails) to your W has 20 miles one way (so 40-ish roundtrip).

Those are probably your closest bets. You can find more info on our Prairies and Lakes Trails page or just use the Googlemap and start clicking around.
    Pedigre

Mar 2007
    If you don't mind a paved trail, the Trinity River Trail offers a lot of miles. Plus there's lots of nice scenery.

https://www.trinityrivervision.org/i...railsmap-7.jpg

You can also ride the Trinity River Trail and hook up to Sansom Park.

https://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-pat...Park-MTB-Trail

mtbr member
    I'm guessing Cameron Park in Waco is an option.
    Cameron Park is purported to have in the neighborhood of 20 miles total, but it's laid out in a way that will have you retracing some of your path after about 10-12 miles. Good luck getting 40-50 miles in one ride; most folks are usually cooked well before then, thanks to all of those sweet, steep climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Are you familiar with the DORBA forum? If so, you might try contacting a poster there under the name "LVS". I live in New Mexico most of the year but visit Dallas frequently. He and a couple of other guys have done the DALLAS-PARIS-DALLAS ride at least twice. You start at White Rock Lake, ride out Garland Road(Hwy 78) past the SE side of Lake Lavon to Farmersville. From there you ride a rail-to-trail called the Chaparral Trail to Paris.

They are sadists so it might not be your cup of tea.

I have never ridden it but I plan on at least trying the Farmersville to Paris and back(about 100 miles) this spring. Some is paved, some is gravel, some is doubletrack, some is singletrack, some is trackless. There was another thread on another messageboard about it that intrigued me on the route. From there I sniffed out more information about it.

Those guys rode 150+ miles in a day doing that Dallas-Paris-Dallas thing. On mountain bikes! I plan on driving to Farmersville instead of starting near SMU, where they started/finished. Crazy Texans.

Livin' the Dream
    You could start at Hwy 380 and ride up to Isle du Bois, take a lap or two and ride back. I ride from Flower Mound to IDB that way so I'm not sure on mileage, but I think it's around 35 miles round trip from that point. It's all dirt road in trees until you get to IDB. I know it's 90 if you ride from Flower Mound.
    DO RIGHT AND FEAR NO MAN

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If you start at 380 and take the Greenbelt to 455 then over to the State Park entrance then back to the trailhead around it and back is right at 40 miles. About 3 miles of it is pavement. 11 is rocky/sandy singletrack, the rest is packed gravel.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Crosstimbers up at Texoma would be another good place to look at getting some mileage. Check with the other dorba.org member on this one. I haven't been there yet.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrabenaldt
    Crosstimbers up at Texoma would be another good place to look at getting some mileage. Check with the other dorba.org member on this one. I haven't been there yet.
    Yeah, but it's a bit short considering the distance he is looking for, even as an out and back
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Chaparral Trail??

Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Are you familiar with the DORBA forum? If so, you might try contacting a poster there under the name "LVS". I live in New Mexico most of the year but visit Dallas frequently. He and a couple of other guys have done the DALLAS-PARIS-DALLAS ride at least twice. You start at White Rock Lake, ride out Garland Road(Hwy 78) past the SE side of Lake Lavon to Farmersville. From there you ride a rail-to-trail called the Chaparral Trail to Paris.

They are sadists so it might not be your cup of tea.

I have never ridden it but I plan on at least trying the Farmersville to Paris and back(about 100 miles) this spring. Some is paved, some is gravel, some is doubletrack, some is singletrack, some is trackless. There was another thread on another messageboard about it that intrigued me on the route. From there I sniffed out more information about it.

Those guys rode 150+ miles in a day doing that Dallas-Paris-Dallas thing. On mountain bikes! I plan on driving to Farmersville instead of starting near SMU, where they started/finished. Crazy Texans.

Noticed this old post. Did you ever ride Farmersville to Paris? I am interested in any background info before I try it this Fall. Thanks, JP

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    apacherider, did you ever do farmersville to paris?

mtbr member
    Reveille Peak Ranch has over 60 miles of jeep road and single track.
    http://www.yeticycles.com/

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    apacherider, did you ever do farmersville to paris?
    Bill, I've been interested in the same route. I've found a few internet sites that discussed the trail and I know one guy that rode a significant portion of the trail.

There are several sections that are overgrown and nearly impassable. And, there are other sections that have purposefully been blocked and/or fenced off by the adjacent landowner. It seems there is still some dispute as to who owns certain sections of the trail.

I'd really like to take on something like this. But, if I have to jump fences and cross sections of land (that some gun-toting farmer claims as his) I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    . It seems there is still some dispute as to who owns certain sections of the trail.

I'm not sure there's any dispute. Land owners have already been paid money from the Feds in a settlement. I think there's only land owners who have not been made to comply, and they will continue using the land for their purposes until that is so.

My understanding is that the trail is actively being developed (though not in all areas currently), and the fences will come down eventually.

The latest rumblings I have heard about it were from people trying to stop the funding of building the trail. Not about ownership or right of way, they know that's over. They think that if they can stop the funding, they can go on as if it never happened.

Personally, I'd rather it stay wild and unpaved which doesn't require that much money anyway. All it requires is that the fences come down.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by brewrider View Post
    I'm not sure there's any dispute. Land owners have already been paid money from the Feds in a settlement. I think there's only land owners who have not been made to comply, and they will continue using the land for their purposes until that is so.

My understanding is that the trail is actively being developed (though not in all areas currently), and the fences will come down eventually.

The latest rumblings I have heard about it were from people trying to stop the funding of building the trail. Not about ownership or right of way, they know that's over. They think that if they can stop the funding, they can go on as if it never happened.

Personally, I'd rather it stay wild and unpaved which doesn't require that much money anyway. All it requires is that the fences come down.
    I don't disagree with anything you're saying. But, if somebody has put a fence across the trail then they've gone through the trouble of trying to keep you out (rightly or wrongly). Idiots abound and I really don't want to try and outmaneuver a shotgun because someone claims I'm trespassing.

I also believe it would be best to keep it unpaved. I wonder what type of funding is required to just keep the brush cut back twice a year or so?

Is there any official website for this trail?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Check out this dorba thread about rail trail in Farmersville:

http://www.dorba.org/messages/boards/thread/24508272
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I'd really like to take on something like this. But, if I have to jump fences and cross sections of land (that some gun-toting farmer claims as his) I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle...
    Ya, just past Pecan Gap, you have to start hopping fences. This trail is all about the hassle. If you don't want hassle, you go to Mineral Wells. I have read accounts of the all of the segments of the trail having been traversed, but not all by the same person. It would be a loooong lonnng day, or a reasonable 2-day trip. Apparently a lot of it is still that railroad ballast gravel, and that stuff is tough to pedal through.

Members who have read this thread: 0