Entry-level AllMountain bike for Austin trails/parks- Mtbr.com

Mar 2009

Entry-level AllMountain bike for Austin trails/parks

I've been shopping around in a couple of bikes stores here in Austin and have come up with the following list (in order of preference) of bikes based on shops feedback:

Scott Aspect 45 ($750)
    Gary Fisher Wahoo ($549)
    Scott Aspect 50 ($530)
    Giant Yukon
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc ($589)

Although I'm trying to stay within a $500 budget (I'm a newbie), based on the reviews I found in bikeradar.com I'm leaning towards the Aspect 45. I haven't shop around in the web for better pricing as I'm still trying to decide on which model to pick.

I'm looking for recommendations (either one pick of the above or a different setup/brand if there are better ones) for a beginner moutainbiker in Austin. Based on the trails available in the Austin area, am I in the right direction? Or there are better bikes in the $500-700 range?

mtbr member
    You might also consider Fezzari's Kings Peak. If you do, tell Chris that MountainBikeTx.com sent ya'.

Keep in mind, most, if not all of those on your list are actually trail bikes, not AM
    Pedigre

Mar 2009
    Maybe my thread title is misleading. I was looking at all the different subforums and didn't saw one specificly related to trail biking. I don't think I'll find an All-Mountain within my budget,maybe that's why all the bikes that were suggested to me at the bike shops are hardtails. Are there any real mountainbiking spots in Austin? So far the only trails I know are the one in town lake, green belt, and walnut creek. If I take this serious I'm pretty sure I'll end of buying a 2nd bike down the road. Right now I'm looking for something that would let me hold my own in most Austin parks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by galactor
    Maybe my thread title is misleading. I was looking at all the different subforums and didn't saw one specificly related to trail biking. I don't think I'll find an All-Mountain within my budget,maybe that's why all the bikes that were suggested to me at the bike shops are hardtails. Are there any real mountainbiking spots in Austin? So far the only trails I know are the one in town lake, green belt, and walnut creek. If I take this serious I'm pretty sure I'll end of buying a 2nd bike down the road. Right now I'm looking for something that would let me hold my own in most Austin parks.
    No prob on the thread title. That is somewhat what I did...bought an inexpensive, decent bike to see just how much I was going to dig it...now I've got an entire website on it. lol

As for riding in Austin, it's is only second to the DFW area as far as concentration of trails. Check out our Googlemap to see where everything is at and then go to our Trail Listings to get more info (including maps for most).
    Pedigre

govt kontrakt projkt mgr
    My 1st real bike I bought was back in my baumholder days; was a fully rigid Scott Racing Comp--circa 1996. I think Scott is a good choice.

Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ArmySlowRdr
    My 1st real bike I bought was back in my baumholder days; was a fully rigid Scott Racing Comp--circa 1996. I think Scott is a good choice.
    Thanks for the reply.

I was comparing the Scott 45 with the Fezzari suggested by Pedigre. Again, I'm a newbie, but I noticed the King Peak uses mechanical brakes instead of hydraulic like the 45. However, the Peak has 9 speeds whereas the 45 has 8. They both look like great choices for the same price range. Decisions decisions...

Pedigre, do I have to buy the King Peak directly through Fezzari? In the reviews section I've seen people who bough it for as low as $500...but maybe it was the older Peak XC models :S

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    those bikes suck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baiden
    those bikes suck.
    well, that was constructive for a first post. Try offering something beyond an empty statement.

The fact of the matter is, they don't suck, they just aren't loaded with high-end components; hence, the reason they are considered entry-level. Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's better to start with an entry level bike (even if you don't have to) so that you fully appreciate the quality of higher end stuff when you decide to upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by galactor
    Pedigre, do I have to buy the King Peak directly through Fezzari? In the reviews section I've seen people who bough it for as low as $500...but maybe it was the older Peak XC models :S
    I think at one point they were available elsewhere, but the price increase is probably a result of the frames and such being updated earlier this year. You can also check out their outlet page to see if anything is available there, as well.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    If you are looking in the $500 budget, then you may want to consider a used bike.

I would recommend 2 things:

1. find a friend who can help you accurately size up a used bike. Someone who can determine if there are any mechanical issues, etc.

2. Watch craigslist daily. There is always a slew of people who have bikes that they bought and never ride. They end up getting rid of them cheap.

I would recommend that you stay with a hard tail unless you get a really good deal on a used one. In that price range the full suspension bikes are usually poorly built.

Stay away from disks as well for the same reason. A good set of disk brakes can be $500, so if your bike has disks, they might not be that great.

Watch the components. Sometimes a brand name bike can have crappy components, and sometimes a crappy bike can have great components.

For austin, 4" of travel is about right. city park is best with 5", but I have done it on a rigid bike.

Specialized and trek are good brands to watch for. Fisher, klein and trek are all made by the same company, you get more for your money from trek than fisher or klein. And Haro seems to have some good low end bikes, check out ozone bikes on guadalupe.

A friend of mine just got a nice used K2 for $600. Good componets and the person who sold it hardly ever rode it. Great condition.

Check out the austin voodoo forum on bikemojo.com, someone there might be able to help you as well.

Good luck.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

Mar 2009
    Thanks to everyone for their feedback!!!

austin_bike, that's exactly what the new shop in 5th street said...just buy a good hardtail and beat the crap out of it...then if you are serious about biking go for a high quality full suspension bike. I'll shop around for the brands you suggested and decide betwwen everyones recommendations

Members who have read this thread: 0