el paso trail maps- Mtbr.com

Dec 2006

No good el paso trail maps

Just wondering if anyone has maps of the redd rd. and / or NE trails?

Thanks.

El Mas Chingon

Maps

Check elpasobicycleclub.com
    Moots Cinco
    Vassago Optimus Ti
    Cervelo Prodigy

Dec 2006

Maps at Crazy Cat Cyclery for Redd Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by carlsonrd
    Just wondering if anyone has maps of the redd rd. and / or NE trails?

Thanks.
    Franklin Mt cyclery on Stahala street might have (under the table) maps of the Northeast trails. The northeast trails are not legal trails... low risk of getting in trouble, but not a place the IMBA would advertise.

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    The Bicycle Company on Mesa street has trail maps. Go check them out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Crazy Cat has some maps for the Redd Road Area.

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Yeah, both The Bicycle Company and Crazy Cat Cyclery will have maps.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here's a link to a older map. Construction has eaten away part of this.
    http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/bmba/ReddRoadTrails.jpg

glassphisheye
    Yeah you could hit up Crazy Kitties or The Bicycle Crappy or you could check out Revolution Cyclery. Right there on the way to Redd road trails. Next to Quiznos on Resler and right across the street from Franklin. Come hang out and watch a vid on the recliners after a long ride. It is also a good place to have a few beers and hang out. Check it out.

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Yeah you could hit up Crazy Kitties or The Bicycle Crappy or you could check out Revolution Cyclery. Right there on the way to Redd road trails. Next to Quiznos on Resler and right across the street from Franklin. Come hang out and watch a vid on the recliners after a long ride. It is also a good place to have a few beers and hang out. Check it out.
    Haha, that's cool if you want to advertise, but no reason to diss the other bicycle shops in town.

glassphisheye
    just trying to let the people know where it's at. Just having fun. Relax.

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    just trying to let the people know where it's at. Just having fun. Relax.
    Relax? Haha, I was never worked up.

Harmonius Wrench

Taking notes here....

I'll be in the El Paso area over spring break visiting my wife's family. They live over on the North East side. I'm hearing that the North East side trails are maybe not so legal? Anybody care to 'splain that? What are we talkin' about here, all the way out towards Hueco Tanks? I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but I haven't been there since 2001.

On another note, I'm assuming that tubeless tires and sealant are the way to roll out there?

I'll be rolling a 29"er hardtail most likely, so I'm not too interested in stunts or free riding. Just XC trails and riding in some mountains.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I'll be in the El Paso area over spring break visiting my wife's family. They live over on the North East side. I'm hearing that the North East side trails are maybe not so legal? Anybody care to 'splain that? What are we talkin' about here, all the way out towards Hueco Tanks? I'm somewhat familiar with the area, but I haven't been there since 2001.

On another note, I'm assuming that tubeless tires and sealant are the way to roll out there?

I'll be rolling a 29"er hardtail most likely, so I'm not too interested in stunts or free riding. Just XC trails and riding in some mountains.
    The only reason they're illegal is because they are on state park grounds. You can bet your bicycle that the legalities of it are not inforced and you will not recieve any kind of citation so you can chill when it comes to that.

Tubeless tires are not a must have. You can ride tube's completely fine. Most people ride tubeless around here, but I think it's just so they can have some more "premium" equippment to talk about on the trails instead of riding.

Sealant is definatley recommended though, so don't ride without any.

The trails on the North East are not by Hueco Tanks at all. No where even close. If you go up Martin Luther King Rd. headed towards the mountains, then take a left at the first traffic light you see you can continue to go strait untill you see a park with a blue water dam. Park your vehicle, ride up to the top of the water dam, and from there you'll be able to see the trails.

Those directions we based from coming off of I-54.

Harmonius Wrench

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian3900
    The only reason they're illegal is because they are on state park grounds. You can bet your bicycle that the legalities of it are not inforced and you will not recieve any kind of citation so you can chill when it comes to that.

Tubeless tires are not a must have. You can ride tube's completely fine. Most people ride tubeless around here, but I think it's just so they can have some more "premium" equippment to talk about on the trails instead of riding.

Sealant is definatley recommended though, so don't ride without any.

The trails on the North East are not by Hueco Tanks at all. No where even close. If you go up Martin Luther King Rd. headed towards the mountains, then take a left at the first traffic light you see you can continue to go strait untill you see a park with a blue water dam. Park your vehicle, ride up to the top of the water dam, and from there you'll be able to see the trails.

Those directions we based from coming off of I-54.
    Thanks! I follow you just fine, I can find that no problema!

"I-54"? I thought it was just ol' 54 highway and your interstate was I-10. Oh well, things are changing fast down that way. The first time I came down in '98, 54 was still a two lane all the way in!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Dec 2006

Northeast El Paso single-track

The Northeast trails in El Paso are mostly on Ft. Bliss land. The area is called Castner Range. Back in the 1930's and 1940's they fired artillery up in the area. It's a beautiful area that could and should become hiking and biking trails...but the army is scared that a hard rain will unearth an old shell or two and you or me will stupidly pick up the unstable ordinance and blow ourselves up. With that said, I started riding up there in 1988 and I'm still alive and well. As you gain altitude up these trails you can ride up into Texas State Park land if you catch the only dirt road heading up, but as I said the single track meanders on Castner Range just below state park land.
    You won't get in any trouble riding up there, at least I never have. All the folks who live right below the area go walking, jogging, and dog walking up their everyday. If they were being hassled by the "man" they wouldn't go.
    I would offer to show you the trails but I'm going skiing over spring break March 13-18.
    Call Crazy Cat Cyclery, The Bicycle Company, or Franklin Mt Cyclery. They have maps of the area. After reading the DISS of the "best shops in town" by someone touting Revolutionary cycle I wouldn't go there!!!

Dec 2006

UST or tubes with slime

Lots of cacti some sharp rock. I ride tubeless with a scoop of Stans-No-Tube.

Harmonius Wrench

I think I've seen these trails.

Are these visible from 54? I think I know exactly where these are. Well, if I don't, my wife will, having been raised there.

Thanks for the scoop. I've been to all three of the shops you mentioned and will be stopping in again if time allows.
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Dec 2006

Kinda of

Are these visible from 54? I think I know exactly where these are. Well, if I don't, my wife will, having been raised there.

Thanks for the scoop. I've been to all three of the shops you mentioned and will be stopping in again if time allows.
    If you pull over on 54 right on the Kenworthy/Martin Luther King over-pass (right near the Shell station) and look up into the mountains it might be possible to see some single-track. To get to the trail head turn left off of MLK on to Jon Cunningham. Go up Jon Cunningham until it dead-ends into a park named Chuck Heinrich. Ride up the little asphalt sidewalk that turns into brown rocks used for "landscaping". Ride up the concrete dam and when you get on top, go left. Follow the levee on top past two pipe turnstyles and then you will come to a cattle fence. don't be alarmed, there is a little space left open in the cattle fence that you can walk your bike through. This fence was set up to keep the goof- ball Quad-riders out of the area. Follow the road to the right and down and you will eventually find a single-track breaking off of the road. There are some cool loops to do up there, but unless you go with somebody who knows the area you won't find the good ways to go to make a nice flowing ride. There are numerous branches off the single-track leaving you wondering which way to go.
    I recommend you call Crazy Cat Cyclery and ask when they do group rides out there, otherwise you might go the wrong direction at different intersections on the trail and your ride will be less enjoyable.

Harmonius Wrench

Got it!

Thanks merlinxlmman, that jibes with my memory and the map search that I did. Most excellent!

I'll report back with my experiences once I get back in late March.

Until then, Keep Ridin' and Smilin'!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by x5rdman
    Here's a link to a older map. Construction has eaten away part of this.
    http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/bmba/ReddRoadTrails.jpg
    If you want to ride the Redd Rd. trails, this trail map is very outdated. Some of those trails are gone now from construction and there are also many newer ones that are not listed on that map.

glassphisheye
    Mountain Lion sighted in the UTEP area trails. Be careful if you ride in this region alone, you don't want to become another statistic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian3900

:
    If you have never ridden tubeless, which you haven't, you shouldn't hate on people with them. They ride a lot better and it has way less rotational weight than a tube setup. I don't think being tubeless is "Premium" being that you can make almost any wheel tubeless, expensive or not.

Finally the NE trails are on State Park land that is leased to the Bowen Ranch.

Ride On!!
    If you are intrested in a map of the redd road trails or arroyo park trails ( known as monks trails ) just go to google and clip on images and type in redd road trails or monks trails in the search box.....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How are the efforts on saving those trails? I dont ride'em , but I would hate to see'em dosed..

I like dual suspension.
    Feb 2006
    Mountain Lion sighted in the UTEP area trails. Be careful if you ride in this region alone, you don't want to become another statistic.

That's my worst nightmare!

Members who have read this thread: 0