El Paso Night Riding - Any tips?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

El Paso Night Riding - Any tips?

I finally have some serious lumens for night riding, and plan to go out sometime soon. I've done alot of night riding on the street, but never out on the trails. The closest I've been to night riding on the trails is right at dawn (with no lights), doing a slow climb.

I'm mainly concerned about violating a park curfew (I've been ticketed for this before), and wild animals. I know we don't have grizzlies here...should I even worry about that? Anyone else ridden at night? Where? Since I'll most likely be going out alone, I'd like to be a little informed before I go.

mtbr member
    Where do you plan on riding?
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Anywhere around the Franklins really. I live in the NE but I've ridden on the west, as well as around Las Cruces.

glassphisheye
    Ahh night riding. Once summer hits EP it will be one of the best and most fun times to ride. I've ridden all of the major trail systems here at night, except Tom Mayes, and have never encountered a problem. Once I was followed closely by a pack cayotes but I'm sure they were just curious... On the full moons try riding without a light. All the rocks in our area reflect the light wonderfully. Peace!
    web design and development in El Paso
    www.websitescenes.com | http://www.roughriderfreeride.com

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Technically you would be trespassing on park land if you didn't have a pass. As long as your car isn't inside the main park when they close, then you are good to go.

If you have "serious" lumens, then you'll probably like night riding better than daytime. You'll see way more wildlife.
    Roll over the weak and bunny hop the dead!

Blog this...!

El Paso Puzzler 35 or 50 miler

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Ahh night riding. Once summer hits EP it will be one of the best and most fun times to ride. I've ridden all of the major trail systems here at night, except Tom Mayes, and have never encountered a problem. Once I was followed closely by a pack cayotes but I'm sure they were just curious... On the full moons try riding without a light. All the rocks in our area reflect the light wonderfully. Peace!
    coyotes huh? =/ Well it should be interesting then, since I've never seen one in nature.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    Technically you would be trespassing on park land if you didn't have a pass. As long as your car isn't inside the main park when they close, then you are good to go.

If you have "serious" lumens, then you'll probably like night riding better than daytime. You'll see way more wildlife.
    I've got 400 on the bars, and 200 on my helmet, LEDs. I'm sure I can manage with that (?). I've always wanted to try the full moon thing, after reading a post here on mtbr about someone riding a 20m Arizona trail with lights off, listening to classical music. Sounds.....interesting.

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    coyotes??? Heck no. I've seen thousands of them during the day time. I'm talking lion, herds of deer, ring tailed cats, bobcats, huge owls and more.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    Do any of you carry some kind of protection for these lions or do they basically shy away? Is it even needed?

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by atxlatino
    Do any of you carry some kind of protection for these lions or do they basically shy away? Is it even needed?
    If you keep your lights between you and the lion, you should be fine. They won't be able to see crap. They are a rare sighting. You could hike or ride here your entire life and never see one. If a lion tries to get me, I'll put up whatever fight I can. If that's the way I go, then....cool....I'll be one of the few to be killed by a lion.

Blog this...!

glassphisheye
    My Aunt claims to have seen a mountain lion out at the UTEP trails but as for me I have never seen even the traces of one. Where abouts did you see one?
    web design and development in El Paso
    www.websitescenes.com | http://www.roughriderfreeride.com

Not an O2 thief.
    Feb 2004
    My Aunt claims to have seen a mountain lion out at the UTEP trails but as for me I have never seen even the traces of one. Where abouts did you see one?
    Jen and I saw one late one morning in Castner. She saw another one behind our neighborhood. Our dog chased it into someone's backyard.

Blog this...!

mtbr member
    I saw one from a distance in Colorado on the trail once. It was a long ways away and I only saw it for 5-10 seconds. They were very common on the trails there (according to the signs anyways). You basically never see them. And generally if you do, it's too late.

If you see one, lift your bike over your head and throw rocks at it if you have time. looking big and fighting back is really your only chance.

mtbr member
    Allright, so I just finished reading a bunch of threads about mountain lion encounters, and it seems like it's nothing to lose sleep over. Like fastmtnbiker said, at least it's a cool way to go. Not only did you die mountain biking, but also mountain biking at night, by a mountain lion. You can't get more extreme than that =)

banned
    This my first year night riding. It definitely is awesome. I've seen huge owls fly up off the trail, the incredible peacefulness of the desert at night. Don't even think twice about it. Go. You'll be kicking yourself for waiting as long as you did.

Victim of Saddle Rage
    I've been pedaling those trails for over 4 years now and have yet to see any wild life. No lions, deer, coyotes,ringtails... Though Mundi's does have an odd erie feeling sometimes at sunset when I am ridding alone. Is it because I only ride during the daylight hours? The views from up top must be great at night.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    I know that feeling you're talkinga about, and I think it's nothing but your mind playing tricks...I get it more the further I get from "civilization." Last time it happened I had just finished geocaching up by the tin mines, and decided to take the road that goes north from there and explore a bit. Every couple of minutes I'd get the weird feeling that i wasn't alone, but just barely enough to make me wonder about it, then I'd brush it off and keep pedaling. Thoughts can be your worst enemy sometimes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Yeah, I saw a mountain lion last year riding some urban at utep super late (12-1), scared the **** out of me as I thought it was a huge fox for a second. It was going through the trash just above the engineering building in that little park; it just looked at me and scampered away. They're definately around, but seem harmless as long as you notice them first

mtbr member
    YEEEEAAAHHH! Just got back from my first night ride. Awesome. Everything felt like a brand new trail. I saw one rabbit that let me chase him down the singletrack for a few seconds, but no foxes. Maybe next time. I think I'm gonna like this night stuff. No more time constraints when the sun is going down. No more excuses. Good stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0