El Paso I got one day there with my bike what trail?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2014

El Paso I got one day there with my bike what trail?

5-15 miles with the emphasis on scenery and nothing crazy technical . Can be a shuttle I have friends . Don't mind climbing if there'a a reward

mtbr member
    Roughrider Freeride but their website is downish or call Chucks Bicycle Repair in El Paso or google them for advice.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by freedomrockslimeball View Post
    5-15 miles with the emphasis on scenery and nothing crazy technical . Can be a shuttle I have friends . Don't mind climbing if there'a a reward
    posted this in the past, this is a good start for information. albeit long
    Some information on El Paso Riding, there are some trails in Las Cruces NM as well not to far away but to lazy to write. I would definitely suggest bringing some extra tubes on rides as the terrain is really rocky and full of thorns, cactus, sharp rocks if your not tubeless.

Mountain Bike Trails and Routes in El Paso, TX | Mountain Bike Trails, Road Bike Routes, Hikes, and Trails in El Paso, TX | GeoBetty - You are on the right track
    great resource with some information on various El Paso trails.
    Also a facebook group of local riders
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/267703330004889/
    I would definitely suggest bringing some extra tubes on rides as the terrain is really rocky and full of thorns, cactus, sharp rocks if your not tubeless.

As far as beginner trails there are a few. The Arroyo park near the University of Texas at El Paso is probably a safe start. In the same area (towards the highest point of your ride you can cross the street into Palisades Canyon. There you will have some rocky intermediate trails like monks and annas full of rocky descents and uphills. I would suggest strava to look for those two trails.

In the northeast portion of El Paso i would suggest chuck heinrich park. There is a dam in the parking lot that you ride to the top of, behind the cement dam you will have the state park. There are some great trails that are beginner friendly in that portion. Trail names for these would be lazy cow, mad cow, as well as others such as pole cat ally. But you definetely have some fun tech stuff in there as well, not to mention you can go from one side of the mountain to the other. Check out the puzzler race course online for a garmin map of getting from one side to the other.

Westside has a few trails as well you can check out but cant remember the names or places of those. Strava segment explorer is a pretty good tool to check out for those.
    These trails you can see here as well
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8bZaOMlgII

There is also a place called Rough Rider Canyon in far east El Paso. Here they do downhill shuttle runs. Brutal rough terrain, downhill 160+ territory. It's not really open all the time but they do organize rides out there from time to time. Best way to find out when someone is out there would be to join the facebook group
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/45914033793/
    Video of the place
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-L7XhGmJ7A

Now there are a few different shops around town, Crazy Cat Cyclery being the largest shop chain, but also including the Bicycle Company who are a good set of guys. Not to mention Chuck's Bicycle Repair. Crazy Cat Cyclery does rent out bicycles, and i believe they are the only shop to do so. Call ahead if possible as the different Crazy Cat Shops stock either a more XC style bike or Trail/AM bike depending on what you are looking to ride. Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Check the El Paso Bicycle Club on Meetup.com. They have a number of rides going on each week.
    Rick Ankrum
    www.texbiker.net
    Texas Bicycling News, Events and Experiences

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    I know this is old but the north east franklin mountains have some awesome trails. Grab a geobetty map from crazy cat or the park rangers and go up tin mine to scenic and down to mad cow. Good 7-9 mile ride with awesome views and a good down hill portion or go to the southern portion of the franklins closer to UTEP college and ride monks trail hard climb with some cool down hill portions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Thanks everyone! I enjoyed my day there. I ended up on the east side and started with the Cardiac trail which I didn't mind the steepness but the loose terrain was aggravating . Thankfully as I made my way north I began to really enjoy the day. Sotel forest was fantastic and I also enjoyed Mad Cow and Coyote Ugly. returned to the park on lazy cow after 18 miles. Nice trails you have there!

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Glad you enjoyed it, all of those are awesome trails, cardiac is a slow going trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk