EL PASO area - Tires

Printable View

• 12-12-2009
    thrasher_s
    EL PASO area - Tires
    What tires have you had good luck with around El Paso? Redd Road trails and Franklin Mountains state park.

I would classify my riding as All Mountain. I only go uphill so I can go back down. I also like the techy stuff and get airborne on occasion.
  • 12-12-2009
    Moots91
    I run the Kenda Nevagals and I really like the way they work here. I've used the Maxxis Advantage before as well but I thought they wore out a little faster.
  • 12-13-2009
    IRONMAN1518
    I live in La Cruz and have ridden in the El Paso area; but the terrain is the same, gravel, harpack, rocks, sand. I've used WTB Velociraptor on the friont, like it, used Conti Exploers and Verticals they worked for me. Tried Hutchinson Barracudas, they rolled real nice but they didn't work for me in the rocks, just me. Got Conti Mountain Kings, 2-4 Protections, running them tubeless. They work real well for me. Just got a new Orbea Oiz, came with Hutchinson Python Tubless/Airlights. I wasn't sure how well they would work, (bad experience with Barracudas), but so far they are a fine tire. I'll keep tring them out for a while. they seem to work on sand, rocks, hardpack, pretty well.
    Tires are like shoes, chain oil, shorts, saddles, etc. Ask 5 people their opinion and you'll get 8 answers. It is a very personal thing/feeling. Just my opinion. Good luck to you!
  • 12-13-2009
    fastmtnbiker33w
    Nevegals are pretty good tires for around here, but they don't have quite the volume that you need to really rip it. You may want to try the new WTB weirwolf or the exiwolf. Their knobs are smaller and well supported so they don't tear off as easily. Their volume is exceptional and they are not dh tires so you can climb with them pretty well.
  • 12-15-2009
    glassphisheye
    WTB Timberwolf foldable with Thorn resistant tubes and slime for freeride.:D
  • 12-16-2009
    Pedigre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fastmtnbiker33w
    You may want to try the new WTB weirwolf or the exiwolf.

2 for 1!...well, 4 for 1, sorta'
  • 12-16-2009
    fastmtnbiker33w
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedigre
    2 for 1!...well, 4 for 1, sorta'

The OLD weirwolf is a burley tire. I think the NEW one would work a bit better out here, though I've seen many prints of the old ones on the trails.

IMO I think you just need a tire with well supported knobs and high volume. If the knobs are too tall, they'll rip right off in a couple of rides. Low volume and you'll be rattling all over the place with high pressure trying to prevent pinch flats.

Tubes are worthless out here unless you like A LOT of excess weight and less tire compliance.
  • 12-16-2009
    glassphisheye
    Hey my bike only weighs 50 pounds what are you talking about extra weight!? haha JK. :D I love the compliance with thick tubes and thin tires out here though. I roll with about 25-28 psi and rarely flat. I do get the notorious slow leaks though not a problem while riding.
  • 12-17-2009
    fastmtnbiker33w
    Quote:

Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Hey my bike only weighs 50 pounds what are you talking about extra weight!? haha JK. :D I love the compliance with thick tubes and thin tires out here though. I roll with about 25-28 psi and rarely flat. I do get the notorious slow leaks though not a problem while riding.

You only weigh about 150! And that's too much pressure. That's skinny tire race pressure for my 200 lb self. I like to stay 20 to 25 with the fatties out here.
  • 12-20-2009
    glassphisheye
    Yeah good for XC but I've rolled tires off the bead on tubeless setups at that pressure and pinched too often with tubes at that pressure. Just adding my 2 cents to the discussion. Seems like more and more El Pasoans are on the forum and that is cool.:thumbsup:
  • 12-20-2009
    fastmtnbiker33w
    You gotta run a ridiculously tight tire to keep from rolling and burping at low pressure out here. Especially with all the hucking you do!

Yes! It is refreshing to see el paso related posts hanging at the top of the texas page. I think it's because a bunch of central texas folks use the tmbra forum.