East Texas Trails- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

East Texas Trails

I'm moving to East Texas, specifically Nacogdoches, in two weeks. I grew up near Beaumont, lived in Abilene and near Fort Worth, and I know there is a good trail at the state park in Tyler, but are there any trails near Nacogdoches or Lufkin?
    I've been living in Western North Carolina for a year, and I am pretty spoiled by the amazing mountain biking.

mtbr member
    I think all you have down there in Deep East Texas are some hiking trails through the National Forests. It is going to be a drive to get to anything resembling a MTB trail. You have Tyler SP, Huntsville SP, and the Monkey Trail south of Shreveport,La. I can't believe there is not a good trail at all in that area, especially with SFA down that way.
    If it were not for Tyler SP all of East Texas would be a veritable MTB wasteland. I live about an hour between Tyler and Shreveport, so the next closest trail for me would be 2 1/2 hrs to Dallas. With gas prices going up it sucks to have to drive so far just to ride.

Mar 2006

Idea! trails

Sounds like its time to make your own trail. Take the money you would spend on driving and invest in some lumber and rocks. Build a few ladders and techincal rock sections to make your own trail.

May 2006
    I live in Nacogdoches and you are right, there are no good bike trails open to the public here. The raider trails across from the SFA Coliseum are pretty cool with a washed out downhill, but after the 30 sec ride down its pretty boring. The Lanana Creek trail is a pretty trail that runs parallel to University Dr. but is extremely easy. It's great for exercise and a change of scenery and also cool if you have kids.

Call Tom at The Bike Shop on E. College St. and ask him if he knows of anywhere to ride. He's the only local bike shop so I'm sure you'll get to know him pretty well. Also, ask him to put you in contact with the UPD Bike Patrol Officer (that's me). I know of some trails in Henderson and Lufkin, and I have a private membership to a Motorcycle park in Nacogdoches that has over 80 miles of enduro trails. Welcome to Nac. -John

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by kylepeveto
    I'm moving to East Texas, specifically Nacogdoches, in two weeks. I grew up near Beaumont, lived in Abilene and near Fort Worth, and I know there is a good trail at the state park in Tyler, but are there any trails near Nacogdoches or Lufkin?
    I've been living in Western North Carolina for a year, and I am pretty spoiled by the amazing mountain biking.

Tyler State Park is an excellent ride.

"Close" by is Huntsville State Park, and Double Lake Rec Area (Coldspring Tx).

You are also not far from some good La riding. A ~2ish hour drive will put in in Lincoln Parish Park outside of Ruston La.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

May 2006
    Tyler is bad to the bone

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nacogdoches is one of those places where you are surrounded by 100's of thousands of acres of public forest land but no real place to ride.

I have ridden out west of Nacogdoches near Ratcliff but it's mostly fireroad.

Does the 4C Trail allow bikes?

Like others have said the Lanana Creek trail is wide and easy except for one little root filled hill that's 20 feet long.

I could not even recommend a safe road riding route near Nacogdoches. I hear that people ride the shoulder on the Loop but that sounds crazy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    When I was there, there were some trails around the NE corner of the loop and hwy 7 going west out of town if you looked hard enough. I have no idea if they are still there.

We also camped and rode Davy Crockett National Forest. Nothing technical but it was fun nonetheless.

Members who have read this thread: 0