East Texas/Pineywoods riding- Mtbr.com
    since 4/10/2009

East Texas/Pineywoods riding

I'm in Nacogdoches and always looking for folks to ride with. My pool of local riders to ride with is pretty small and I almost always ride by myself these days.

If anyone likes to ride in East Texas and would like to share the occasional ride, I've set up a Google Group to make such sharing a little easier.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'm up iN Tyler but don't get down to Nac. very often. Perhaps you could come rider Tyler State Park this summer?

Todd

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TX-BoneDigger
    I'm up iN Tyler but don't get down to Nac. very often. Perhaps you could come rider Tyler State Park this summer?

Todd
    I do make it up there on occasion. You're welcome to join the e-mail list, also. I'd honestly rather make it up there before it gets too hot to ride during the daytime. A bunch of the locals I ride with on occasion won't make the trip up there with me often, so I may well be looking for someone to ride with.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We're in Beaumont. Very close we have only Village Creek SP. It is nice but not very technical. Over in Lake Charles there is Sam Houston Jones SP which we are going to try soon. We have it on good info that the trails are challenging enough, so we'll see
    After 40, crashing doesn't hurt as much as getting up.

mtbr member

Biker from Center

I live in Center, but ride Nac. This summer has been TOO HOT, but I made it out to the trails this Saturday for a few hours.

I'm looking to ride weekly now. I'm interested in riding Tyler State Park soon and am hitting Cyprus Bend for the first time on the weekend after Labor Day.

I'm pretty bored with the creek trails and short "downhill" bursts. If you've come across any information on *fingers crossed* a place I could tackle a more freeride, jump oriented riding and could share, I'd be in debt to you!

Maybe I'll catch you on the trails soon? I always ride alone and it would be cool to talk riding with someone with some more time on the pedals.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PeytonP View Post
    I live in Center, but ride Nac. This summer has been TOO HOT, but I made it out to the trails this Saturday for a few hours.

I'm looking to ride weekly now. I'm interested in riding Tyler State Park soon and am hitting Cyprus Bend for the first time on the weekend after Labor Day.

I'm pretty bored with the creek trails and short "downhill" bursts. If you've come across any information on *fingers crossed* a place I could tackle a more freeride, jump oriented riding and could share, I'd be in debt to you!

Maybe I'll catch you on the trails soon? I always ride alone and it would be cool to talk riding with someone with some more time on the pedals.
    I have a review about Cypress Bend on my website. My experience there was not so pleasant. For a "resort" trail, it sucked. At a resort, I expect a trail with a solid design. I expect flow, good maintenance, and a professional build. The only "building" that was done at Cypress Bend when I rode there last November was brush clearing. The tread was uneven to the point you couldn't get any momentum - and not because of any rocks or roots. It was that way because nobody had actually built the trail tread. I had to pedal down a few of the downhills just to get any speed. The elevation is not used as well as it could have been. Instead of giving riders long climbs and longer downhills than they can find for hundreds of miles, all but the strongest have to get off and push up a ridiculously steep grade that covers only a couple dozen horizontal feet.

Nac is going to be the closest opportunity for any jumping around here. Even Tyler doesn't have that type of riding. I understand there's some stuff in the Dallas area. Around here, you'd better get used to cross country riding.

Lufkin has trails at Kit McConnico park. There's less elevation change there than at the SFA Trails, but they flow well and you can get an aerobic workout if you push yourself.

I have not been riding much. The heat got old pretty quick (I ride at night to avoid the worst of it), and I got bored riding by myself all the time. I don't mind solo rides too much, but the only people I know who ride go out in the hottest part of the day. Not worth it.

mtbr member
    The heat really did get old. I rode from 830 to 1030 this Saturday morning, hoping it would finally be better, and it was still miserable. I used to ride in the evenings after work, but it's a 40 min drive for me and I needed to save money.

I hate to hear that about Cypress Bend. They sure did talk their trail up! Since I have to be there in two weeks, I might as well take my bike and be disappointed myself. I guess I'll plan a trip to Tyler State Park soon for something new.

I'll soon be lobbying for a trail system in Center. There is plenty of city land that will be used for a walking trail loop, and I believe that there is great potential for excellent trails around it.. Are you familiar with anyone who I might consult with about building trails? I saw some info about the guy who did Tyler and Ruston on a different thread. I'd also like to find the info on who came years ago for the Nacogdoches trails.

Anyway, hopefully we can have a new place to ride in a year or two.

Thank you for the info : )

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I need to get back out to tyler

mtbr member
    Wow. I just got a "go ahead" to figure out everything I can for a new trail network/bike park in Center, TX!

If you ride in the area, please contact me and let me know what you're looking for in a trail. There's plenty of land and elevation changes to exploit.

I think I can find the info on two different trail developers, but would love info on any others that you may know of.

This is serious! I need a plan to submit as soon as possible. The city managers and council are loving even just the idea having trails. So, let me know!

I'll start a thread dedicated to this soon.

mtbr member
    Your link isn't working.

I go up to Nac. every once and a while to see family. I love the SFA trails, just wish they were longer.

I've figured out a pretty good 10 mile loop though. I start on the Launa creek trail at College St then ride that to Main St, u-turn and ride back to Park St. Then take Park St going east and take a left on Crisp St which takes you to Starr. Left on Starr , which leads you to the trails parking lot.

The climb on Park st. is a good work out. And Then it's mostly down hill on Crisp. I topped out at 32 mph last time. Better have good brakes though it's pretty steep.

Members who have read this thread: 0