East Houston Trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

East Houston Trails?

We will be visiting some family over Christmas holidays. I was wondering if there are any decent trails in east Houston. We'll be staying in the Highlands/Baytown area. If there isn't anything really good there, where are the good trails in Houston?

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    depends on what you want to do. Memorial Park will be closest for you. The Anthills and Cypresswood a bit further. Double Lake farther, but a good ride.

www.ghorba.org for info

mtbr member
    Ok we will probably hit the anthills. The link for anthills at ghorba.org seems to be broken. Is there anything in particular we need to know about the trail? Is there another link for a trail map?

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Jack Brooks Park is actually a shorter trip from Baytown than The Anthills plus it's a much better place to ride in my opinion. Jack Brooks has well marked trails plus trail maps are available online and at the park. JB is also considered to be the most technical park in the Houston area but also has trails that most anyone can ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Jack Brooks Park is a very nice ride. This is closest to my house and ride it often, great mix of trails and well marked. Can't go wrong with the others mentioned though either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    Jack Brooks Park is actually a shorter trip from Baytown than The Anthills plus it's a much better place to ride in my opinion. Jack Brooks has well marked trails plus trail maps are available online and at the park. JB is also considered to be the most technical park in the Houston area but also has trails that most anyone can ride.
    I don't know about JB being closer, but I DEFINITELY agree about it being a better place to ride, and easier to navigate through. IMO if you're coming to Houston and want to play on the local trails, Jack Brooks should be at the top of the list, with Memorial a close second.

Wait, I wrecked out at JB yesterday like a n00b on the first bridge over the creek. I hate that place.

mtbr member
    Yeah, it's definitely iffy as to which one is truly closer to Baytown. Nevertheless, if you need a little more info on either you can check out both of them listed here.

FWIW Next time I am in the Houston area I plan on hitting JB for the fun factor and THP just to get a little more clarity on the trails there.
    Pedigre

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    Good grief people I'm a hot shot courier and I know Houston and the surrounding area better than anyone. Well, at least my GPS does. According to Google maps The Anthills are 41.1 miles away and Jack Brooks is 34.4 miles if you take Hwy 146.

If you're going to ride either Memorial Park or the Anthills I suggest you have someone show you around. You can find most of the trails at Memorial on your own but if you want to ride The Triangle it's best to have someone show you where it is. The Triangle is the best trail there in my opinion. First time riders at the Anthills must have a guide or you'll probably miss alot of the good stuff.

mtbr member
    We went to Jack Brooks and it was fantastic. I liked how it was marked. That made it real easy to navigate through. It was more technical than I was expecting, so there were a few areas we walked. I can see where it would seriously help having an intimate knowlege of the trail. The roots made it very challenging. The man made obstacles were a lot of fun. It's definitely a trail I'll ride again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If I would have known you were going to be out there today I would have met you up and shown you around. I'm right around the Nasa exit off 45.

gunslinger
    How big an area is JB? Can a guy pound a few loops and get some training in??? Like 45+ minutes???

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude
    Good grief people I'm a hot shot courier and I know Houston and the surrounding area better than anyone. Well, at least my GPS does. According to Google maps The Anthills are 41.1 miles away and Jack Brooks is 34.4 miles if you take Hwy 146.

If you're going to ride either Memorial Park or the Anthills I suggest you have someone show you around. You can find most of the trails at Memorial on your own but if you want to ride The Triangle it's best to have someone show you where it is. The Triangle is the best trail there in my opinion. First time riders at the Anthills must have a guide or you'll probably miss alot of the good stuff.
    Where's the entrance and exit to the Triangle?

I've been riding at Memorial for a few months now and never bothered to venture further to find it.

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    It's located on the other side of Memorial Drive across from the arboretum. Best way to get there is take the new pedestrian/bike bridge over Memorial so as not to get creamed by any traffic. The entrance to the trail is on the top of the hill on the other side of the railroad tracks near the power lines. You'll see where the dirt path starts and you'll travel through two tunnels. After the second tunnel you'll turn right and go up a somewhat steep hill and you're on the trail. The Triangle has the best flow of any of the Memorial Park trails but also has some steep downhills and steep climbs. Do you're best to carry speed and it will make the climbs so much easier.

Members who have read this thread: 0