drop zone in SA- Mtbr.com

Thread: drop zone in SA

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

drop zone in SA

several months ago I met Jaime out on the trail at macallister park. Real cool guy that had a lot of good tips for riding and bike set up. He informed of his bike shop, Drop Zone Cycles. I never got a chance to check it out till today. After many disappointing trips to other bike shops around town over the past couple months, I made the drive to his shop(near mac). All I can say is that I feel lucky to have a LBS as good as his. His service and knowledge was way beyond that of any I have ever experienced at any other bike shop. I had never even heard of the shop before so I figured id post on here so you other sa locals can check it out and be as pleased as I am with the shop.

Bandit 29 FTW!!!
    I've heard of it and need to stop by and introduce myself.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    yea its def a cool shop. great prices and service

mtbr member
    My favorite shop...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    i always mean to stop by and check that place out. I usually get caught up attempting to get out to Mac at a decent time or get home...

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Don't bother without calling first! I drove across town Tuesday at 4pm to check it out (my brother did the same thing one day with the same conclusion). Got there and it was closed. No store hours on the window. The "We'll be back at..." clock sign had the arrows broken off. lol Called the phone number and got a simple answering machine, again with no store hours stated. Went to website..........no store hours!!!!!!! WTF?

Apparently they ride more than attend to the store. Not that that's bad....but still.
    Last edited by TXDesertRacer; 12-21-2011 at 10:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Yea that's the only downside of the shop. There are no posted hours because he doesn't have set hours. He's there when he's not out riding basically. I always call first to make sure he will be there. It's a small price to pay for the wonderful knowledge and service

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Ok, I'll call next time I'm on that side of town. Hope he answers though. lol

mtbr member
    The owner rides bro.... Best to catch him in the morn around 10

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pebblehoppertj View Post
    The owner rides bro.... Best to catch him in the morn around 10
    Catch him in the shop or on the trails?

I work M-F, so I'd have to "schedule" my meeting with him I guess.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm not going to tell him how to run a business, but people don't schedule their purchases around the owner's wierd schedules. When they need something, they want the convenience of knowing that the place is open most of the day and they can just pull up without having to call, leave a voicemail, wait to get called back, then schedule the meeting.
    He lost 2 purchases on 2 occasions to Ride-away because we knew when they were open.

mtbr member
    That's too bad.... I don't think he does it for the money...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    DZ's shop hours have been erratic like that for years. some folks can/are willing to deal with it, some can't/aren't. Sage is somewhat the same way since they moved over by Mac but they at least have a huge on-line presence so you *could* order what you want and schedule to pick it up at the store.

mtbr member
    Drop zone.....best bike shop in town

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDesertRacer View Post
    I'm not going to tell him how to run a business, but people don't schedule their purchases around the owner's wierd schedules. When they need something, they want the convenience of knowing that the place is open most of the day and they can just pull up without having to call, leave a voicemail, wait to get called back, then schedule the meeting.
    He lost 2 purchases on 2 occasions to Ride-away because we knew when they were open.
    I have had similar experiences, became frustrated and now just go to any one of a number of other shops that I know will be open.

If you are in the area, you may want to check out Sage Cycles, just around the corner on Jones Maltzberger, near the old main entrance to Mac.

Sage Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Handle View Post
    DZ's shop hours have been erratic like that for years. some folks can/are willing to deal with it, some can't/aren't. Sage is somewhat the same way since they moved over by Mac but they at least have a huge on-line presence so you *could* order what you want and schedule to pick it up at the store.
    I dropped Rick at Sage an email, he ordered me a new Niner Carbon Fork. I will pick it up from Randy next week. Simple.
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com