do I really need a trek remedy 8- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

do I really need a trek remedy 8

alright so I have been thinking of buying another bike and am trying to justify spending the money on a trek remedy 8. I mostly ride in the Austin/san Antonio area at brushy creek, walnut creek, flat rock ranch, bandera,mc allister park, canyon lake, and rocky hill ranch and prefer a rocky terrain over dirt trails and am seeking advice on if this is a good direction to head in. Thank you for any input

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Well, Iím not sure what bike(s) you currently have, so Iím in no position to armchair quarterback this....but I will anyway!

If it compliments your current bike(s), you can afford it, and it wonít contribute to a child custody battle, then go for it! Iím assuming you have done your research and this bike fits you well. If not, go demo all the bikes you can, enjoy the bike shopping process and good luck!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'll post my opinion in the next few days. I am in town from Washington, owned 6 bikes over the past few years and ridden another 5 or so designs. I'll be riding Barton creek side trails, emma long and maybe walnut or bushy. I won't have a truck to drive out far but am renting either a trek fuel ex 29, remedy 29 or stache 29 hardtail. I'll reply with a review. Note these are my normal types of trail, I am used to 2,000' climbs and mile long -15% to -30% grade trails. For that reason I'll probably get a mid to short travel full squish for AUS.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's a great bike for the Centex area. Fully capable for anything within 100 miles and not so expensive that it will break the bank. Maybe a bit overkill for Walnut, but right at home for Brushy, RHR and the loose over hardpack and rock shelves that we tend to have here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MrMentallo View Post
    That's a great bike for the Centex area. Fully capable for anything within 100 miles and not so expensive that it will break the bank. Maybe a bit overkill for Walnut, but right at home for Brushy, RHR and the loose over hardpack and rock shelves that we tend to have here.
    my thoughts on it being the bike for brushy, and rocky hill along with bandera, going to test one out here in the next week. Just wish the LBS had some half way knowledgeable employees, so I might end up buying one in Austin.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'd rather ride a Fuel EX on those trails than a remedy. If you buy a remedy, you are buying a bike for 5% of the trail and will be slow and miserable on 40%

I ride the equivalent of a Top fuel on all of those trails at high average speeds. You can rent an EX at BSS or Mellow Johnnies and go ride those trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    I'd rather ride a Fuel EX on those trails than a remedy. If you buy a remedy, you are buying a bike for 5% of the trail and will be slow and miserable on 40%

I ride the equivalent of a Top fuel on all of those trails at high average speeds. You can rent an EX at BSS or Mellow Johnnies and go ride those trails.
    I appreciate it, will definitely look at renting an EX here once it gets dry for a few days and spend the afternoon at brushy.

mtbr member
    I agree with FJSnoozer but I'd have to bump up the 40% to about 70%.

150/160 seems like overkill. That 66 degree HTA...doesn't seem like it would be much fun going up. There's nothing steep enough around CTX to warrant that amount slackness.