dirt jump in Houston?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 21 of 21
  1. #1
    Come see me after class
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,431

    dirt jump in Houston?

    anywhere with some dirt jumps other than the Anthills?

    how about street/urban freeriding? what are some good areas?

    i searched but we all know the MTBR search function sucks, and everything i found on google was a few years old.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    53
    I think Houston has a downtown, you might want to check that out for some urban

  3. #3
    Come see me after class
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    wow, you're smart.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    50
    You can go to the bowl at Cypresswood Proper. The bowl is east of TC Jester. I'm not a dirt jumper, so I don't know if they are any good. I don't think it's as impressive as Anthills, but then again, I don't know anything about dirt jumping.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    Love it when people ask where all the DJ's are. How about finding a spot, bust azz digging for a few months, then come back and post directions. HTown needs more DJ spots--not more poachers.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Pedigre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    712
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Love it when people ask where all the DJ's are. How about finding a spot, bust azz digging for a few months, then come back and post directions. HTown needs more DJ spots--not more poachers.
    um, I'm guessing that the spots to legally "bust azz" are limited, so eventually you will have "poachers", though I am sure many may be willing to maintain or enhance that which already exists. Just a thought.
    Pedigre


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    You don't know how wrong you are.

  8. #8
    Come see me after class
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Love it when people ask where all the DJ's are. How about finding a spot, bust azz digging for a few months, then come back and post directions. HTown needs more DJ spots--not more poachers.

    so you don't like poachers, but you want me to make my own jumps then post the directions on the Internet so that you can poach it?

  9. #9
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    sarcasm

  10. #10
    Come see me after class
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,431
    more like ignorance. he preaches that houston needs more DJ spots, but is against sharing locations.

  11. #11
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    thats called everyone that dirt jumps, not a new thing, get used to it...there is a difference in dirt jumps and trails

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dytrdr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    96
    welcome to the awesome Houston attitude on dirt jumps, most people I know that want to hit jumps are willing to help out to maintain them. Unfortunately there is not much here in Houston to speak of on jumps and/or freeride fun. The city really is against bike and trails, and any trails that are here are beginner/early intermediate at best.

    I was told that they are thinking of putting in a jump area with a 4x course at bluff creek ranch, if and when that time comes I will be there with my trusty old shovel to help out.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    665
    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5
    welcome to the awesome Houston attitude on dirt jumps, most people I know that want to hit jumps are willing to help out to maintain them.
    ...but are too lazy to find a spot and start their own. Not knocking maintaining at a spot if you ride there but there's only ONE place in HTX and it's over used and abused. More spots==more places to ride--probably with different styles and flavors of jumps and terrain. And I'd love to meet your maintain-ready friends 'cause the trails could sure use help with hauling water, repairing damage, sweeping, picking up and hauling out trash, etc...

    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5
    Unfortunately there is not much here in Houston to speak of on jumps and/or freeride fun..
    Ding, Ding, Ding! My point EXACTLY!!! Why is that? Hmmmm...'cause most people jump on the net and start asking "Where are the DJ's?" instead of picking up a shovel and building some. And will invariably be given directions to a spot by someone who has put little to nothing into said spot other than hearing about it from a friend of a friend of a friend (who, also have put little to nothing into that same spot).

    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5
    ...and any trails that are here are beginner/early intermediate at best.
    Really? Then find a spot, start digging, and build advanced/pro-level trails.


    I'll agree with you that the City has done ZERO for the DJ/Freeriders. How many of you have written to your council members asking for places to ride. Any of you want to start a petition. Get on it.
    Last edited by WaveDude; 07-23-2010 at 12:20 PM.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dytrdr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    96
    Not to start a pissing contest on the internet but here go my 2 cents.


    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    ...but are too lazy to find a spot and start their own. Not knocking maintaining at a spot if you ride there but there's only ONE place in HTX and it's over used and abused. More spots==more places to ride--probably with different styles and flavors of jumps and terrain. And I'd love to meet your maintain-ready friends 'cause the trails could sure use help with hauling water, repairing damage, sweeping, picking up and hauling out trash, etc...
    The first time I went out to your place I put over 2 hours worth of work and rode for 30 minutes.

    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Ding, Ding, Ding! My point EXACTLY!!! Why is that? Hmmmm...'cause most people jump on the net and start asking "Where are the DJ's?" instead of picking up a shovel and building some. And will invariably be given directions to a spot by someone who has put little to nothing into said spot other than hearing about it from a friend of a friend of a friend (who, also have put little to nothing into that same spot).
    Its much easier to help maintain a spot than start one from scratch, there isn't exactly a ton of nice real estate here available for jump lines.

    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    Really? Then find a spot, start digging, and build advanced/pro-level trails.
    Sure let me go out and find an awesome place in Houston with wicked altitude changes and terrain that also happens to drain well. I think both of us already know that this is not going to happen here, because the city and organizations behind our bike trails are extremely afraid of liability issues.


    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude
    I'll agree with you that the City has done ZERO for the DJ/Freeriders. How many of you have written to your council members asking for places to ride. Any of you want to start a petition. Get on it.
    Lets be honest taking into account our extremely high number of GHORBA members at just barely above 1000 in a city of close to 3 million people, writing in to our representatives is going to do nothing.

  15. #15
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    you dont need terrain changes for dirt jumps, just labor

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dytrdr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    you dont need terrain changes for dirt jumps, just labor
    you don't need mountains for mountain biking but they sure do help.

  17. #17
    meh
    Reputation: clewttu's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by dytrdr5
    you don't need mountains for mountain biking but they sure do help.
    discussion has nothing to do with mountain biking, dirt jumping is the topic broham

  18. #18
    www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    Reputation: srwhouston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    131
    lol, just dont bring up the Ant Hills jumps. They dont exist or this happens.
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

    ^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dytrdr5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    96
    Quote Originally Posted by srwhouston
    lol, just dont bring up the Ant Hills jumps. They dont exist or this happens.
    Actually just don't bring up mountain biking in Houston at all it doesn't exist or this is what happens.

  20. #20
    www.thetexasoutdoors.com
    Reputation: srwhouston's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    131
    ^^^ bahahahahaha
    www.TheTexasOutdoors.com

    ^^^ everything outdoors in Texas

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    4
    bump

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.