Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?

Has any one ride DVSP recently? I am planning on riding it for the first time this weekend.

I am just curious to the trails conditions since all of the rain we have had these past few months?

Any advice for loops or directions of the trail would be helpful thanks.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I rode it earlier in the year for the enduro race there. It was my first time there. Plenty of mileage available and lots of climbing. The trail is rock on top of rock so make sure you bring something to repair a flat. There is not a lot of shade so beware that it will be freaking hot, so plenty of water, etc. I did most of the Dorba loop for the pre-ride and it wore me out pretty well. I'd suggest wearing some type of padding since if you crash, you will be crashing on rocks most likely.

mtbr member
    Cool thanks. I always have a spare tube, patch kit, and tools as well as some other spare parts and little McGiver stuff to use to get me out with a little imagination and mechanic skills. I don't really dig hiking.

I am Hoping to get a good ride in, as I have been trying a new trail each weekend for the last couple weekends and was let down last weekend. Do not mess with Mineral wells state park trail, a slopped out jeep track with tons of deep beach type sand, and large areas of trail that doesn't exist from a lack of traffic. Didn't get to check out the rail to trail.

Any chance someone knows a good mix of loops or preferred direction of DVSP ?

I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the Neighbors.
    I don't always listen to slayer, but when I do so do the neighbors.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    There is only the Dorba trail for biking so you only have once choice really. The rest of the trails are for hiking only.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry I missed this. We were in Colorado at the time, and I just now found your querie while poking around. How did the ride go? I would have suggested checking out the MTB Project app. I mapped pretty much all of the trails out there, not including some of the Enduro only stages. As matador CE stated Dorba routs are marked out there but there are many ways to put together a quality ride out there. I'm out there often,if you ever want to come back hit me up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by matadorCE View Post
    There is only the Dorba trail for biking so you only have once choice really. The rest of the trails are for hiking only.
    Are you talking about DVSP? Are you saying that there is only one trail to ride on there?
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    Are you talking about DVSP? Are you saying that there is only one trail to ride on there?
    Going from their website, there are plenty of trails for bikes there. There is a big outer loop trail and some other trails around the park. I was planning to go there this fall, just haven't made the trip yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yes there are plenty of trails and not all dorba observed... Grab a map at the gate or check out mtbproject.com. Great trail system out there, get out there and thank me later...

Magically Delicious
    All trails are open to bikes with the exception of one that I can think of. keithrad knows which one I'm referring to. It used to be the Blue Trail (they've renamed all trails) that runs along the river to the Observation Point. That's a 'Hiker Only' Trail (although I've ridden it along with many others). It's 'Hikers Only' because its a bit too technical for the average park rider (according to the Park Superintendent). DORBA has a defined loop that's marked by the brown carsonite signs with DORBA stickers on them, but those are suggestive only for those not familiar with the trails.

Magically Delicious
    An earlier DVSP thread

http://forums.mtbr.com/texas/spring-...p-1008250.html

keithrad even has a comment referring to the 'Hiker Only' trail along the river.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm bound to run into you out there some day cleared2land... Although I work weekends so I'm our there during the week. Are you on the white Santa cruz?

Magically Delicious
    Yepper, white Santa Cruz.

Now that the weather is cooling down, I will get out there.

DORBA is having a camp out at Solovaca this comIng weekend and will be riding at DVSP.

Magically Delicious

DVSP and perfect weather...

Fall weather is slowly finding its way into Texas and that meant a nice days ride at DVSP. Severe clear sunny skies and temps in the low 70's laid the template for a nice ride. I think there were only two trails that I failed to ride. 20 miles and 1,700 ft. of elevation gain.

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-dvsp-oct-23-2016.jpg

mtbr member
    Fall weather is slowly finding its way into Texas and that meant a nice days ride at DVSP. Severe clear sunny skies and temps in the low 70's laid the template for a nice ride. I think there were only two trails that I failed to ride. 20 miles and 1,700 ft. of elevation gain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DVSP - Oct 23 2016.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	1101463
    Nice, I need to plan a day to get down there for ride. May have to try to make it next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Magically Delicious
    The weather next weekend is forecast to be equally as good. If that holds true, I will be back out there on Sunday for a spin-about the rocks

mtbr member
    The weather next weekend is forecast to be equally as good. If that holds true, I will be back out there on Sunday for a spin-about the rocks
    Might see you out there. This mornings ride was perfect! Got in 6+ miles on the Frisco NW Community Trails.

mtbr member
    Anyone hitting dinosaur Valley tomorrow?

Magically Delicious
    Not tomorrow (Saturday, Oct 29th) , but perhaps on Sunday.

The weather should be nice.

mtbr member
    Not tomorrow (Saturday, Oct 29th) , but perhaps on Sunday.

The weather should be nice.
    Hoping to get there a little after 8: tomorrow. Didn't do the Spartan this year, so I'm doing a ride close by for a lot less money. Should still be a challenge.

Magically Delicious
    Let us know how your ride went.

If not seen as challenging enough, just go faster.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Hey c2l, looks like you hit it pretty good looking at your gps. If you go back soon, check out that little spur off Buckeye Creek. If you use MTB Project app I named it Buckeye alternate loop. Hit it starting from the northern most entrance. It has a pretty steep roller at the top of a pretty deep ravine for a bit of a pucker factor... Followed by a nice flowing little short trail with a nice creek crossing at the end!! Cheers!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Astom 22 post up 4 sure... let us know how it went. It can be difficult to find it all, but you should have a good time.

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad View Post
    check out that little spur off Buckeye Creek.

Yeah, Buckeye is pretty fun...not too many ride this. I've done Buckeye from both directions several times. Going north and coming out of the creek has a challenging, technical bump at the top of the ravine exit. It took me 5 or 6 attempts to clean that. There's a tight turn to the left at the top that kills your momentum. It's all about the right speed, momentum, and gearing. A willingness to commit to the last 3 feet can be unforgiving if you fail.

It's not too difficult going south as you've described. You just drop off of it into the descending trail.

These are in the Buckeye creek bed...

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-20150404_134728.jpg

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-20150404_134618.jpg

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-20150404_134337.jpg

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-20150404_135040.jpg

Here, diagonally!
    I've only been there once, but it's a great trail and I need to get back out there. I couldn't resist riding the creek crossing at the start. Water was above the hubs at times and I had wet feet for the remainder of the ride, but it sure was fun.

The climb up after the creek crossing is a real lung buster and had me wishing for a granny ring.

Something to keep in mind is that on some areas of this trail there is a lot of speed available, but also blind corners and hikers with kids too. We were having fun, but had to make a conscious effort to dial it back a bit. I found that to be the case more with this trail than the other DORBA trails I've ridden.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    You got it c2l... I've never cleaned that going up. Been close until that little jog left you mentioned, but it's far too fun going down for that kind of abuse! Yeah, that whole creek bed is a nice little departure that can mostly be ridden all the way down to where the Cedar brakes trail crosses it.You obviously have poked around out there a good deal!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JACKL View Post
    Something to keep in mind is that on some areas of this trail there is a lot of speed available, but also blind corners and hikers with kids too. We were having fun, but had to make a conscious effort to dial it back a bit. I found that to be the case more with this trail than the other DORBA trails I've ridden.
    My wife and I were out there hiking on Friday and there were a few groups of folks from time to time on the trail, though not too bad. I don't get the opportunity to ride much on the weekends but I'll bet it gets really busy. You do need to come back if you've only been once.

Magically Delicious
    JACKL....
    My assumption is that you rode across the river on the west side of the park and the short, sandy climb out and up to the pasture. There's long steady climb for a mile or so following the crossing. The water is low now and easy to ride across there.

I've seen the water low enough to ride across the east crossing where the stepping stones are, but that's been a while. The east side trail from the parking area has all sloughed off and sorta re-routed the trail access to the river.

I'm running a 1x so my options are limited. Not really. I'm dropping two teeth on the front chain ring to see if I likey more for Sunday.

Magically Delicious
    You obviously have poked around out there a good deal!
    I started riding here on a full rigid many years ago. I don't miss that. Yepper, I've poked around here a little bit

mtbr member

Ride was great. No worry about challenging enough for me. Outer loop has plenty to offer. Great place, had the place almost to myself on the trails. Bikers I met were very friendly and helpful for a first timer.

Well worth the 2 hour drive each way.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Glad you had a good experience at D.V..That 2 hour drive though...Where were you coming from? I try to get down to the Austin area a couple times a year for some good Cntrl tx riding which usually takes 2 -3 hours. Sometimes we'll stay overnight and get a couple trails in to maximize the trip. Just Fyi, Solavaca ranch is a couple miles down the road from Dino. and has around 8 miles of trails. Also Cleburne State park is 17 miles to the east with some good trails too!

mtbr member
    Glad you had a good experience at D.V..That 2 hour drive though...Where were you coming from? I try to get down to the Austin area a couple times a year for some good Cntrl tx riding which usually takes 2 -3 hours. Sometimes we'll stay overnight and get a couple trails in to maximize the trip. Just Fyi, Solavaca ranch is a couple miles down the road from Dino. and has around 8 miles of trails. Also Cleburne State park is 17 miles to the east with some good trails too!

From Frisco, north of Dallas. Worth the drive and it was nice to get away in the car and just relax.

Didn't know about the other two rides, will have to. Check them out next time I get down that way.

https://youtu.be/BjtjZqIqge0

Magically Delicious

DVSP this afternoon...

We did not get quite the miles in that was expected but we rode hard with a continuous hard push for just under 20 miles. This place can exploit your weaknesses. We missed two trails in the process, but did get Buckeye in. In fact, we rode up the creek bed for a ways.

Overall, it was a good day!

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-dvsp-oct-30-2016.jpg

mtbr member
    We did not get quite the miles in that was expected but we rode hard with a continuous hard push for just under 20 miles. This place can exploit your weaknesses. We missed two trails in the process, but did get Buckeye in. In fact, we rode up the creek bed for a ways.

Overall, it was a good day!

Name:	DVSP - Oct 30 2016.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	1102790
    Nice, you guys put in some serious riding.

Your map looks way prettier and more complete than mine.

Magically Delicious
    Didn't ride the 'U' Intersection Loop.

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-07f9a337d84d8a780.jpg

mtbr member
    Didn't ride the 'U' Intersection Loop.

Name:	07f9a337d84d8a780.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	1102799
    That was me lost. I was trying to ride the outer loop, which should have been easy, but I kept finding ways to mess it up.

Magically Delicious
    ^^^ Looks like you did just fine. The perimeter loop is a fun ride. It offers a several challenging climbs and/or descents (depending on your direction of flow) that will make the best of them breathe with a little additional effort.

mtbr member
    ^^^ Looks like you did just fine. The perimeter loop is a fun ride. It offers a several challenging climbs and/or descents (depending on your direction of flow) that will make the best of them breathe with a little additional effort.
    I went counter clockwise and felt like it was all uphill for a while. Can't wait to get back there for more fun and more trails.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I usually ride the western portion ccw, but the eastern half of the Cedar brakes I like clockwise (longer downs)... There's no wrong way. Looks like c2l did some creek bed slumin;-)...I need to ride something fresh to me... Looks like a road trip is in order.

Magically Delicious
    I still haven't ridden the new trail (rouge?) that goes from observation point to the pasture. I keep forgetting about that one. You've ridden that one Keith?

Magically Delicious

Trail from Observation Point to Pasture

The trail that's highlighted in yellow. I'm not talking about the road that lies immediately to the west of this.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  47.4 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I have been meaning to get back out there. I might make it out there Thursday after work

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The trail that's highlighted in yellow. I'm not talking about the road that lies immediately to the west of this.

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  47.4 KB
    Crap, I thought you had hit that one before or I would have surely mentioned it. Yes, the highlighted trail is it, and yes it's super fun! I will try to attach my last ride that shows it. I'm a little technically challenged with such matters though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-screenshot_2016-10-31-15-24-02.jpgHere is my ride from a week or so ago and you can see the trail paralleling the road. It literally follows the Ridgeline down from the observation point. I said it before but I will make it a point to gopro this trail next time!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorry, I don't know how to highlight or anything like that...

Magically Delicious

In Paint

Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-screenshot-_2016-i10-31-15-24-02.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Sorcery...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I just watched your video, thanks for posting that up. I had to laugh a little as it reminded me of a couple of weeks ago when I rode Samson. I'm a very average rider at best and my cardio sucks, but man I was suffering extra hard from not knowing the trail at Samson Park. Seems like every little up, down, bob and weave move had me spent too soon! It looks like you started on the river trail from the video, and that's not the easiest to be sure. In fact i have only ridden that a couple of times besides the race stages of the Dino Enduro. There's some really gnarly stuff up there, and its mostly foot traffic only, except race events.
    If you come back on a weekday ever I would be glad to give you a proper tour...

mtbr member
    I just watched your video, thanks for posting that up. I had to laugh a little as it reminded me of a couple of weeks ago when I rode Samson. I'm a very average rider at best and my cardio sucks, but man I was suffering extra hard from not knowing the trail at Samson Park. Seems like every little up, down, bob and weave move had me spent too soon! It looks like you started on the river trail from the video, and that's not the easiest to be sure. In fact i have only ridden that a couple of times besides the race stages of the Dino Enduro. There's some really gnarly stuff up there, and its mostly foot traffic only, except race events.
    If you come back on a weekday ever I would be glad to give you a proper tour...
    I will take you up on that for sure. Loved riding there, was pretty sure I was hitting the trail wrong at times.

Magically Delicious
    Kudos on the candid video! I enjoyed that. I gotta a laugh with your WTF's and being able to follow the video and knowing exactly where you where on the trail. At the beginning, you found yourself on the 'Hikers Only' trail that comes from Observation Point along the other side of the river. Some parts of that you just need to walk. There is no wrong part of hitting these trails.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Working on posting up a video I took out there today. Got in just under 13 miles, man I wished it would hurry up and cool off!

Magically Delicious
    Your DVSP video...Looking forward to seeing it

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm not sure why, but I have tried twice now and I can't get it fully uploaded to youtube. Started yesterday and it was going so slow I stopped it, then got up at 5am this morning during off peak hours and tried again. This time it uploaded, but then it sat at o% during processing. I gave up after 3 hours! All this for a 7 minute video...We do live in the country with $hit for internet, but I've done it plenty before with no problem. I took 4 videos of different sections of trail yesterday. I'll try again late tonight to post the video that has the new trail from the observation peak. I'm getting pretty frustrated as I spent half an hour while on the trail yesterday trying to get my phone app to wifi with my go-pro. Again having done this before no issues, now it was asking for a password...WTF! Damned all this technology making it impossible to ride my bike...

mtbr member
    I'm not sure why, but I have tried twice now and I can't get it fully uploaded to youtube. Started yesterday and it was going so slow I stopped it, then got up at 5am this morning during off peak hours and tried again. This time it uploaded, but then it sat at o% during processing. I gave up after 3 hours! All this for a 7 minute video...We do live in the country with $hit for internet, but I've done it plenty before with no problem. I took 4 videos of different sections of trail yesterday. I'll try again late tonight to post the video that has the new trail from the observation peak. I'm getting pretty frustrated as I spent half an hour while on the trail yesterday trying to get my phone app to wifi with my go-pro. Again having done this before no issues, now it was asking for a password...WTF! Damned all this technology making it impossible to ride my bike...
    Looking forward to seeing it when it finally cooperates though.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Finally here's the video. New trail starts at around 3:30. Yes I'm old and slow, no it's not a cry for help!

https://youtu.be/LjgrFZNQ89A

Magically Delicious
    Cool! I can't believe that I have yet to ride that trail. I remember when they had the enduro there and used this, but I keep forgetting about it. I'll ride it next time.

Thanks Keith!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yessirr!! I have a couple of others I may post up soon.

It really is a fun, relatively fast and scenic (for around these parts) trail, but that doesn't quite convey through my video. It doesn't help to remember to ride it by the fact that it's not marked either...(in your defense c2l).

Magically Delicious
    Post 'em up!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Here's another clip from the Black Capped Vireo trail. Still a noob at editing...

https://youtu.be/ocYOyRq5A2E

Magically Delicious
    I'm thinkin' it's about time to head back to DVSP for a ride when we get another warm, sunny weekend. Too bad keithrad works weekends.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I'm thinkin' it's about time to head back to DVSP for a ride when we get another warm, sunny weekend. Too bad keithrad works weekends.
    I went out there Wednesday and got 16.3 miles in. Trails are in great shape and temps were in the mid 50's! PERFECT!! I parked at the trailhead parking lot but ended up crossing the river at the low water crossing on the southwest side. Minimal wetness that way...! BTW...Don't forget the "Observation Trail" this time. I find it works best at the end of the ride since it spits you out back to the "low water crossing".
    Also, don't forget Solavaca Ranch is literally a couple miles further up 205, past the D.V.S.P. turnoff. There's 8 miles of pretty cool trail out there if you have some extra time. Solavaca Ranch - Mountain Bike Trail
    Would be cool to catch a ride one of these days!

Magically Delicious
    I have often thought about Solavaca, but I like to get away on the back trails of DVSP, I just never seem to be willing to head down the road to go there.

There has been talk of adding some additional new trails a good while back, but That has gone silent. I wonder if that will ever happen?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have often thought about Solavaca, but I like to get away on the back trails of DVSP, I just never seem to be willing to head down the road to go there.
    I totally understand. I hit Dino. much more, and especially if I had a long drive, BUT, I suggest start early and get them both in!

There has been talk of adding some additional new trails a good while back, but That has gone silent. I wonder if that will ever happen?
    I heard the same talk and would love to see, hell even help, that become reality! I also heard from a reliable source the guy that did the trail building at Big Cedar was doing some trail building at a nearby Ranch in the Glen Rose area...Didn't get much more info. That would be killer!

Magically Delicious
    The trail builder is Shadow Johns and I had an opportunity to ride it with a group of others last fall, but couldn't make it. It's on the other side of the road from DVSP.

Shadow has a website for professional trail building

Shadow Trail Designs

click to see larger image
    Dinosaur Valley State Park anyone?-fullscreen-capture-1272017-53346-pm.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2007
    The trail builder is Shadow Johns and I had an opportunity to ride it with a group of others last fall, but couldn't make it. It's on the other side of the road from DVSP.

Shadow has a website for professional trail building

Shadow Trail Designs

click to see larger image

Name:	Fullscreen capture 1272017 53346 PM.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	77.9 KB 
ID:	1118112
    That was about the same time I heard about it. Probably know some of the same people. I would have loved to check that out, but didn't know about it until after the fact...I wish that would open to the public...?

mtbr member
    Dinosaur Valley is one of my favorite trails in the area. Has a little bit of everything and has nice scenery. Have been out there the past 2 Saturdays. Trails are in excellent condition right now. The river crossings are interesting right now because of the water level. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk