DH Trails????- Mtbr.com

Thread: DH Trails????

mtbr member
    May 2011

DH Trails????

alright. i give up. guys, where are the downhill trails around dallas, austin, or san antonio? i spoke to someone from another forum and they claim to have seen a downhill trail in dallas (cedar... something) but i haven't found anything online about it. anybody know any??

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    I'm by no means the expert in where downhill trails are in Texas but I do know there are a few at Cameron Park in Waco,TX. Nothing long like you'd find at a real downhill park but in my opinion they require a real downhill bike. An all mountain bike would probably fall apart. Give the guys at the Waco Bicycle Club a shout and I'm sure they will give you a tour. They gave us one a year ago and we had a blast! We took a look at the downhill and double diamond runs and said "No thank you!".

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by soccerdude View Post
    I'm by no means the expert in where downhill trails are in Texas but I do know there are a few at Cameron Park in Waco,TX. Nothing long like you'd find at a real downhill park but in my opinion they require a real downhill bike. An all mountain bike would probably fall apart. Give the guys at the Waco Bicycle Club a shout and I'm sure they will give you a tour. They gave us one a year ago and we had a blast! We took a look at the downhill and double diamond runs and said "No thank you!".
    LOL. sounds like my kind of thing. i'll see if i can check it out this weekend. someone told me cameron park had some downhill action but it didn't last too long at all. i'll just have to check it out for myself. i believe i found another one east of austin called Rocky Hill Ranch Downhill in smithville,tx? anybody familiar with that one?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Some of the most promising terrain...Reveille Peak Ranch, vid here:

Check the DORBA site for info on the Big Cedar riding area, that is the one you originally reference. Ladders/drops...although some of those features will be coming to other area trails in the future.

Otherwise, you are looking at very limited options. not sure the black diamond at Reimers is even still there!

Fat Biker
    Aug 2006
    The downhill runs at Cameron Park are very short. If I had to guess I'd say 50 yards long at the most. But they are steep and nasty so in my opinion they qualify as a real downhill trail. Rocky Hill Ranch is mostly hardpack and rocky singletrack with lots of climbs and gradual downhills. Very rocky with quite a few roots. If you want lots of climbing you can't go wrong at either RHR or Cameron Park. I feel that Cameron Park rewards you with longer, smother downhills while RHR just serves up more technical trail. Reimers Ranch is much different as it has rock ledges, dropoffs, and plenty of hardpack singletrack. I have only rode the beginner, sport, and race loops and have avoided the advanced and expert loops. I have no idea if there's a black diamond loop there but from what I saw I would not be surprised if there were.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Big Cedar in Dallas:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9CV7...eature=related

i hope it's a decent sized DH trail. the ramps and such are looking quite sexy!

XC racer
    May 2005
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is NOTHING in Texas that would bring to mind the true 5 minute plus downhill runs I've seen in the mountain states.
    Flat Rock Ranch in Comfort once held a downhill race but it was a very short run. Camp Eagle in Rocksprings holds the state Super D championship on Labor Day weekend, but as you know that also requires some real pedalling. I run the XC race at Rocky Hill with a partner that lives in Smithville, and he told me a couple of days ago he's come up with Super D course for there, and we will add that event next spring.
    Many of the other places mentioned, i.e. Big Cedar, Cameron Park, Reimers, even Pace Bend, have some fairly extended downhill sections, but they are far from gnarly, not long timewise, and will require pedalling to get to. There is a section at Big Cedar that is still under construction that I would refer to more as a "jumping" section rather than a downhill run, but if you inquire on DORBA you might find out more about who's building it and its intent.
    This thread brings to mind a trail we once had in a Texas race (now history mostly because a private landowner shut us out), Lajitas/Terlingua. There was a signature part of the 32ish mile course known as Tres Cuevas. It was long jeeproad climb that gained around 1000 ft of elevation in about 2 1/2 miles. The road started pretty smooth, but the higher you climbed, the more rocky and steep it got. You kept looking up thinking about the sweet downhill reward you'd be getting when you got to the top.
    Alas, it was an illusion. Once you crested, the downhill was really more of a series of plateaus. There were some fairly long, fast sections, but then you'd be climbing back up a bit or levelling out, so you never really got that one long sweet descent. Unfortunately, the race and trail are no more.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbscott View Post
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but there is NOTHING in Texas that would bring to mind the true 5 minute plus downhill runs I've seen in the mountain states.
    This is very true...
    What you get - at most, is a 3 minute run that covers about 400' in elevation.

They don't call it the hill country for nothin'....BUT 400' allows for some fun if constructed correctly.

meh
    head to el paso

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Cameron Park has 3 tech, DH trails: Thor, babbler, & Bat Cave. They are very short but fast. You could hike the bike right back up. All are next to each other. Thor is rocky & the longest; Babbler is all roots, & BC is steep, loose, with a drop in the middle. I dont' think they get much action so there can be a lot of debris on t he trails. BC was on the Pro Xterra course a couple of months ago. The 3 mentioned are tucked away in the corner at the top of Lover's Leap.

There are a couple of other fast descents off of California 56 but I do not remember their names.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu View Post
    head to el paso
    This^

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Hell Paso !!!

We have the BEST DH in Texass.. we are also working on getting a Tramway access to the top of the mtn for a 1500ft - 1700ft drop.. Keep yur fingers crossed.. KNARLY ASS TRAIL !!! Or come to Roughrider Canyon !!!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat111 View Post
    We have the BEST DH in Texass.. we are also working on getting a Tramway access to the top of the mtn for a 1500ft - 1700ft drop.. Keep yur fingers crossed.. KNARLY ASS TRAIL !!! Or come to Roughrider Canyon !!!
    that's sounds great! only problem is el paso is about 400 miles away from me

canuck
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjammin View Post
    This^

thats about it...

canuck
    Ive been there.

it is the only place remotely close to any dh/fr action in the state.

but...

you close to co and oak which has some good enough stuff...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron D View Post
    Ive been there.

it is the only place remotely close to any dh/fr action in the state.

but...

you close to co and oak which has some good enough stuff...
    yeah i've heard that oklahoma has some decent downhill action. might have to hit it up some time.

mtbr member
    Arkansas has some decent runs. There used to be a race series there, not sure if its still going on though.