DFW Tire Recs- Mtbr.com

Thread: DFW Tire Recs

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

DFW Tire Recs

I know this has been done before, but it doesn't appear to have been done recently, and probably not with my peculiarities.

Looking for tires/tire combos for DFW. Bike is Marin Rift Zone 29" with 29mm internal rim width. Currently running Vee Crown Gem 2.3 (stock tires), which seem pretty nice, but are also wearing quickly.

The closest trails to me are LB Houston, Harry Moss, and Katie Jackson. I venture outward where I can, but the rowdier parts of Northshore, Big Cedar, and others are not my routine riding, although Oak Cliff Nature Preserve tends to be because it survives rain well and is relatively close.

So, I am looking for something that excels on flat, generally hardpacked singletrack, as above, often with a nice layer of dust and sometimes tacky/gooey, but isn't worthless on the limestone scree and rocks of the other local trails.

Also, I am forced by weather to road or paved trail rides with some frequency, so durability is a plus. Such rides are for exercise, so speed/rolling resistance/ride quality on pavement are not important.

Thanks in advance for recs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    My favorite tire for TX riding is the Scwalbe Racing Ralph. Iíve run it on several of my bikes, both geared and SS. Itís got very capable and predictable handling with low rolling resistance. The 2.25 is large compared to others. Iím now riding a 29+ bike, so Iím waiting for Schwalbe to jump on the big tire bandwagon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowtalker View Post
    My favorite tire for TX riding is the Scwalbe Racing Ralph. Iíve run it on several of my bikes, both geared and SS. Itís got very capable and predictable handling with low rolling resistance. The 2.25 is large compared to others. Iím now riding a 29+ bike, so Iím waiting for Schwalbe to jump on the big tire bandwagon.

Thanks. Need to clarify "Texas riding" though. DFW?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I see you are in FW. Perhaps you are familiar with the trails I mentioned. More River Legacy than Sansom Park (never rode it, but my sense is that it is more limestone scree and hills than what I am typically forced to ride).

Also, current tires are 2.3. Not sure how wide I can go but I see the RR is 2.35 and I'm pretty sure I can do that.

Did you go narrower in the rear?

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I ride gateway in Fort Worth most of the time with Sansom, River Legacy, and Grapevine on occasion. I personally prefer same size, front and rear, except with a rigid fork, on which I ran a Fat-B-Nimble 29x3 (measured more like a 2.8).

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Give the Forekaster a try or the Rekons

mtbr member
    I may have posted this before, but my most recent bike came with WTB's... Trail Boss on the rear, Vigilante up front. You don't see much of them here. I wasn't sure how they'd do for me, but I have been happy with them. I ride a good sampling of DFW trails... smooth fast LB Houston, River Legacy (plus EKG loop), Gateway (plus the east end rockier stuff), Frisco Community. Rooty Erwin Park, mixed bag stuff at North Shore, Horseshoe, Johnson at Ray Roberts, Knob Hills. Rock gardens at Isle du Bois. Also hit Oak Cliff, Boulder, Big Cedar, etc, when time permits. Generally, the WTB's have been pretty good. With the weather like it's been here lately, I've had the chance to ride them on everything from sand to heavy tacky (with occasional mud). Good performers all around. No flats yet! I rode WTB way back in the 1990's into the early 2000's when they were "the" tire. I may be back to WTB again.
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Yeah my first bike had WTB Nano tires and I liked em pretty well, but I think they're quite XC oriented, which actually should fit most of my riding pretty well. They didn't bite in corners the way the Crown Gems do.

Frankly the Crown Gems are pretty good, but that may be the 2.3 and full sus, too. They do seem to be wearing down quite a bit faster than the WTB. I haven't tubelessed them either and I read that they are fiddly to seat. The price on em is right, as it seems the WTBs are too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Ha, right below this is another, more recent thread than I had seen. Dang search.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Ardent Race 2.35 is a great hardpack/loose over hard tire that works on the trails you mentioned and will fill out those 29 IW rims. Too narrow of a tire on those rims will really square the tire off. You could also do a 2.35 Ikon on the back for a little faster roll. The WT (Wide Trail) tires from Maxxis will work on a rim that size also, but they're a little bigger and generally for looser trails. A couple of Maxxis Ikon WT's in 29x2.6 would work well but are only available from Pushy's (Australia) right now as far as I know.
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot Mach 4SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Colnago C60 Disc

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Iím on a 27.5 so this may not help, but I really like my combo of schwalbeís. Hans dampf front, rock razor rear. Both 2.35

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It's Dallas! Just get the most expensive tires you can find, polish them daily and avoid getting them dirty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedHam View Post
    It's Dallas! Just get the most expensive tires you can find, polish them daily and avoid getting them dirty.
    sometimes so true...

mtbr member
    Not in DFW, but for Austin trails which are mostly limestone scree, sharp edges and moon dust over hard pack I've found Nobby Nics to be the best overall tire as far as performance and durability. I also do about five miles of pavement every ride getting to and from trail. Longest lasting tires I've had so far. Been through many tires. Spec Ground Controls, Schwalbe Rock Razor, Hans Dampf, Racing Ralph, and Rocket Ron. Ground Controls were weak, flats and torn sidewalls and unpredictable, Hans Dampf good traction, slow rolling, wear fast side lugs get undercut and become unpredictable when cornering, Racing Ralph weak also tearing lugs in first couple of rides Rocket Ron the same, tearing lugs quickly, Nobby Nics predictable cornering, wear evenly no torn lugs or undercutting on side lugs and weight is acceptable.
    2016 Evil Following V1
    2016 Dartmoor Primal+

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rngspnr View Post
    ... sharp edges and moon dust over hard pack...
    Moon dust... is that what they call that limestone powder stuff these days? It gets into everything! Used to get air filters clogged with it on extended 4 wheeling trips.

mtbr member
    I have ridden most of the trails in the DFW and have had no issue running Maxxis Rekons and Ikons
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Bumping this. The Vee Crown Gems are starting to lose a couple of side lugs here and there despite having some central tread. So I am taking that as a sign.

I have in my amazon list a Maxxix Ikon 29x2.35 3C/EXO/TR for the rear at 65 and a Rekon 29x2.4 3C/EXO/TR for the front at 55.

Does that sound like a good combo/price? Should I go Rekon/Rekon and save a little coin? Wider in the front? Boost RS Recon fork that can take up to 2.6, I believe.

I could do an Ikon 2.6 up front too. The Rekon appears more aggressive, though, width notwithstanding.

mtbr member
    We (DFW riders) may need to rethink our preferred tires. Seems gone are the days of sand at North Shore. Gone is the cement like hard pack at Frisco Community. Gone is the dust covering our Isle du Bois rock gardens. With the non stop rain which has kept all but a handful of our ~35 trials closed since last July (2018), and kept tack and mud on the few that open for a day or two, do we need to consider a change in tires? Is it time to start thinking about mudders?

I've been riding North Texas for over 20 years (Central Texas prior to that). Gone are 5+ rides every week. Lucky to get ONE ride a week any more. Will it EVER stop raining?!?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by fredcook View Post
    We (DFW riders) may need to rethink our preferred tires. Seems gone are the days of sand at North Shore. Gone is the cement like hard pack at Frisco Community. Gone is the dust covering our Isle du Bois rock gardens. With the non stop rain which has kept all but a handful of our ~35 trials closed since last July (2018), and kept tack and mud on the few that open for a day or two, do we need to consider a change in tires? Is it time to start thinking about mudders?

I've been riding North Texas for over 20 years (Central Texas prior to that). Gone are 5+ rides every week. Lucky to get ONE ride a week any more. Will it EVER stop raining?!?!
    That's no joke. I'm going to delay installing whatever new tires I get as long as possible because of the stupid amount of pavement riding I have had to do.

Funny/dumb/cool story. Last week I was anxious to ride and dorba.org said Big Cedar was open. I am coming off a broken collarbone and finger and am somewhat unable to freely adventure on new trails. Anyway, so rooting around trying to figure out how rigorous the main loop of Big Cedar was, I convinced myself that OCNP was open (according to facebook it was).

So I had a little ride of the milder parts of OCNP, and noticed a bit of mud, but was able to stay out of ruts and not make more. As I finish the ride, I look up and see the sign says CLOSED.

Uhhh. Really. Oh. Damn. So I get on my phone and sure enough dorba says closed. I was ashamed. Anyway, after I got home I had to figure out why I thought it was open and managed to blow right by the closed sign. As mentioned, the day before (5/16) the facing book page said it was open and it had not rained overnight. Apparently the stewards changed their minds though.

I dislike the fact that dorba makes use of facing book pages. I hate the facing book and refuse to join and it's also annoying that there can be conflicting or separate sources of information.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I was at Big Cedar (nothing on the White loop is rigorous) Saturday morning around sunrise, trying to beat the rain and get a ride in before the rain. There was some light rain during my ride. OCNP was actually listed as open for a few hours on dorba.org, then closed later with a note on the Updates tab saying "Still too muddy sorry we tried " (still there on the page). I took that as they thought it would be dry and it wasn't or it was dry and the minor rain made it too wet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bike_Ninja View Post
    I was at Big Cedar (nothing on the White loop is rigorous) Saturday morning around sunrise, trying to beat the rain and get a ride in before the rain. There was some light rain during my ride. OCNP was actually listed as open for a few hours on dorba.org, then closed later with a note on the Updates tab saying "Still too muddy sorry we tried " (still there on the page). I took that as they thought it would be dry and it wasn't or it was dry and the minor rain made it too wet.
    Well you're a ninja. Im old. But more importantly, I have a two finger, the last two, so weak grip on the left side because of my broken finger. So I am wary of a lot of stuff lest I lose my grip and fracture another bone.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    I dislike the fact that dorba makes use of face book pages.
    Same here. I get that the world thinks they need Facebook, I'm just not one of them. Having to remember and visit all of the different Facebook pages just to check trail status is cumbersome. Add to that occasional "unofficial" pages, and there's even more clutter. I guess if a rider is only interested in one or two trails, it's OK. But for those of us that may (and do) ride any of the 30+ trails on any given day 5+ times a week (weather permitting), using Facebook is clunky at best. I much prefer the quick and simple Dorba.org app/site. One click, and status for all trails in one clear, succinct view in less than 10 seconds. Kudos to Dorba for their app/site.

Now, if only we can get a one stop view that includes Weatherford's trails.

Speaking of Dorba's site... today's view looks crappy again.

Name:  Dorba 20190522.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  60.1 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    When I get in a little more solid shape and injury healing, we wil have to meet up somewhere and ride, fredcook.

And I shouldn't blame dorba for the facing book, it's members/users/stewards that do that. I think dorba is supposed to improve the "trail module" so that perhaps more "facebook"ish information can be posted at the trail pages, but it still links to the old site.
    Last edited by TwiceHorn; 05-22-2019 at 07:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwiceHorn View Post
    When I get in a little more solid shape and injury healing, we wil have to meet up somewhere and ride, fredcook.
    And when (if?) trails open up!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    It's strange. As I mentioned, theres a 2017 thread on this topic that shows up in the "similar threads" box below.

It talks quite a bit about Maxxis Ardent for a front tire. I have had a couple of people that I know personally say that the Ardent was a downright frightening front tire in loose over hard. They are Austin/Centex riders, though. I think the Rekon is a more aggressive variant of the Ikon that has developed since and doesn't have that lug-free "edge zone," which is what my friends think caused them a frighten.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Wound up getting Rekon 2.4 for the back and 2.6 for the front. I purchased from Amazon because I have credits to effect a little discount. I kind of wanted the Ikon for the rear, but they were more expensive and from sketchier, slower vendors. In the final analysis, I'm not sure I care that much about rolling resistance if it isn't a complete hog, which the Rekon is not reputed to be.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Well, I have been running the Rekon 2.6 up front and 2.4 in the rear for a couple of months now.

I like the 2.6, but probably mostly because of volume. I run it at about 15 and it's a nice helper for my mediocre (Recon) fork. Have yet to wash it out, but that may be related to the below.

I'm less impressed with the 2.4 out back. It may be the conditions or my unwillingness to drop it much below 20psi, but it seems loose as a goose on both limestone and what's now turning to loose over loose or sand (Rowlett Creek in particular). I could be wrong, but the trails seem drier than normal, so maybe this is an extreme test.

Does not seem to be an improvement over the 2.3 Vee Crown Gem it replaced, even with worn tread. The Crown Gems, judging by their wear rate, must be pretty soft and sticky.