DFW Gateway Park - new and improved- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

DFW Gateway Park - new and improved

It had been a while since I rode Gateway Park trail in Fort Worth. If you haven't been in a while, GO!

The west side has had several subtle improvements, like small berms making turns faster, additional rollers allowing you to gain a little more speed down, and a little air on their exits. Not so subtle are the new wood features. Great rollers for all level of riders... air with enough speed, or easy fun rolling the humps. A couple of skinnies now exist, and there are a coupe of great structured high banks go around on. All are quality builds, using either steel or treated lumber framing, and cedar decking with traction strips where needed.

The east has seen a LOT of improvement/evolution. That area is the fastest I've ever seen it over the years. There's an alternate section that now runs along the I30 edge of the trail... more XC cardio climbing stuff than anything (and a bit of a beating on an enduro bike!). The original, slightly more techy option, is still there as well. The biggest changes include more solid berms and more opportunity for getting air. The most prominent air option is the new big drop at the very east end. I'm guessing it's about an 8' drop off a stone tablet with at least a 8-10' gap. It actually sends you over another section of trail, and lands on a down hill into a couple of nice berms. Not the kind of thing normally seen in North Texas.

Both the west and east ends of Gateway are really fast these days. I think its increased popularity has really defined the line, making for a great packed track to zip along on. Speaking of popularity... there were more riders there that I've ever seen (including weekends) riding Gateway last week... on a Wednesday evening, no less. A couple of riders said it's packed on the weekends now.

Gateway gives us a little of what we see when we go to more traditional MTB destinations in NW Arkansas, Colorado, etc.

Great job Fort Worth Mountain Bikers Association (FWMBA)! You're making great use of the limited terrain we have in North Texas. I may need to head out to Samson to see if the same thing is happening there!
    You didn't quit riding because you're old, you're old because you quit riding.

mtbr member
    Yeap, off a stone tablet OVER another section of trail...Nothing like seeing a chainring. Rider, wheels inches from your face with wheels rolling right across your arms...then the guy wants to fight you for being in his way..yeap, totally safe..
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972