Dallas now has a downhill trail!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Dallas now has a downhill trail!

check dorba.org for the specifics but basically tha land owner of one of the highest hills in the metro has opened up his property for us to build XC and DH trails. They have also ok'd DJs and a pumptrack. Very nice. We have two runs cut with some jumps and berms along with several optional lines. Sure there're only about 30-40 seconds long but they are fast and steep. Also there are now 4 miles of gnarly xc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy Jim
    check dorba.org for the specifics but basically tha land owner of one of the highest hills in the metro has opened up his property for us to build XC and DH trails. They have also ok'd DJs and a pumptrack. Very nice. We have two runs cut with some jumps and berms along with several optional lines. Sure there're only about 30-40 seconds long but they are fast and steep. Also there are now 4 miles of gnarly xc.
    Very sweet!! Now I have to make another trip up that way!!

Would you mind: New Trail Form
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Awesome work out there! I wish I had more time to get out there and help you guys dig.

ICU

Dec 2008
    don't forget there's a trials area too. sport master lines gallor

mtbr member
    whats it called?! link???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    whats it called?! link???
    Big Cedar Wilderness Trails

There are also several threads throughout the DORBA forum re: trail workdays and such.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    awesome. is it open now?

EDIT - it looks like it is from the DORBA website. Anyone want to ride it tomorrow with me and show me the ropes?

are there any lifts?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    awesome. is it open now?

EDIT - it looks like it is from the DORBA website. Anyone want to ride it tomorrow with me and show me the ropes?

are there any lifts?
    It is open, though only 4.5 miles worth + the 3 DH runs

DORBA is the lead in developing the trails; hence, the reference to the DORBA forum for trail work days and other late-breaking info...though MountainBikeTx.com is kept as current as possible.

If by lifts you mean your own shoes, yes.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    May 2007
    SWEEEEET justification for a downhill rig!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    rode part of it today. very loose in places at the moment since it is so new. the downhill runs are pretty sweet although (obviously) short. its tough to get going real fast right now since everything is so loose but theyve built some nice jumps and berms. there are lots of XC trails around it too. its marked fairly well in places, although it can be confusing. It took me a while to figure out how to get back to my car

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Hey sooner518 what kind of rig did you take out there? was it even dry???Where is the trailhead parking???

mtbr member
    LOL, but I should check it out....

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by keithrad
    Hey sooner518 what kind of rig did you take out there? was it even dry???Where is the trailhead parking???

Check out the forums at dorba.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Thanx blkss! Will check it out when it dries up...

mtbr member
    If you google "Prayer Mountain Church Dallas", it'll show you where the church is located. You go into the church, drive straight through and there is a gravel parking lot with a big power substation that is fenced off. just park there. the trail is to the right of the fence for the power station (to the right from the viewpoint of looking at the station). if you go a little ways in, youll see some orange arrows. thats it.

I took my 4 inch Santa Cruz Superlight. i dont have a DH rig and most of the trails are XC anyways. we rode for about 45 minutes before randomly stumbling across the DH portions. anyways, the downhill sections are very steep, yet very tight with some sharp turns. not my kind of riding at all. i rode down them, but was scared of a couple runs I did.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Anybody going out there this week? Looks like I have a light schedule and might check it out!
    Last edited by keithrad; 03-30-2009 at 06:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Im gonna try to make it out there soon, but right now I dont know when. Plus Ill probably be pretty slow cause I only have a hardtail and have only been riding for a couple of months now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    we're building some interesting freeride stuff as well. I should be out there sat noon on my Sunday digging and riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    we're building some interesting freeride stuff as well. I should be out there sat noon on my Sunday digging and riding.

What does that mean? You will be there Saturday and/or Sunday or what?

mtbr member
    Iron Horse Sunday.

It's a bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    aaahhh I see! Boy do I feel like an idiot! lol lol

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How about some pictures or video. Maybe I will change my Whistler plans.
    2008 Jamis Durango 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysly
    How about some pictures or video. Maybe I will change my Whistler plans.

You should just do the Whistler trip and then head to Big Cedar on your way back.

mtbr member
    i'll be in dallas this afternoon and tomorrow. might not have a lot of time but i'm bringing my bike. Jim, i PM'd you....

TNC
    noMAD man
    Has no one posted any ride pics from this place?

mtbr member
    I'm in Dallas on business, and luckily brought my Enduro over the Titus, so I'll head out there this next week or weekend and snap some pictures.

mtbr member

eventually there will be a ramp up to the drop.

These are all at the top of one of the trails. Still plenty of work to do out there, but it's fun so far.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    right the f#@$ on guys!! Are you posting up work days anywhere?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    That is just awesome. Great work guys.
    2008 Jamis Durango 3

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    right the f#@$ on guys!! Are you posting up work days anywhere?

http://www.rogueposse.net/phpBB2/vie...=9691&start=15

http://www.dorba.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=50278

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How is that drop coming? I can vision a helmet cam perspective coming, or at least I am hoping.
    2008 Jamis Durango 3

mtbr member
    my bro lives in Plano...how far is this spot from there?

mtbr member
    35-45 minutes.

mtbr member
    How exactly to I get to the DH runs? Im coming in from Colorado and staying by the DFW airport. Anybody want to meet somewhere and head there? I'll be in on May 5th and plan on riding the weekend of the 9th

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFit
    How exactly to I get to the DH runs? Im coming in from Colorado and staying by the DFW airport. Anybody want to meet somewhere and head there? I'll be in on May 5th and plan on riding the weekend of the 9th
    I wish I could meet ya' there, but SA is a bit far south and there's that whole work thing at the moment. I think I need to plan a DFW trip sometime soon...

Anyhow, you can get driving directions there and every other every othere Texas trail through this Googlemap. Most are to the trailhead, though some just bring you to the park entrance.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    right after you go past the start of the xc trail/kiosk/portopotty you are going to be on double track and the xc trail is going to go to the right, just stay on that double track and in about 50yds or so you will see the wood drop on your left. That is one of the freeride trails. To hit the other stay on the double track past the wood drop until ends and go left and you will run straight into the start of the second freeride trail. Please come and ride, but be aware these are in their infancy and only 20% constructed and far from done and will probably only be maybe 40 second runs when finished. But for dallas its the best and only legal spot currently. They will be having a big work day on the 9th so good day to be out there as folks will be working the xc and freeride trails as well there will be a beginers clinic, turner demo trailer there with bikes to test ride and i think they are cooking burgers and dogs.Started a wood berm/small wall ride last night.

mtbr member
    Cool, thanks. I will for sure be out there. I dont mind that its not finished yet, all of the runs in CO are still covered in snow.

mtbr member
    Not if you shuttle Apex

mtbr member
    Never been there, heard its crowded.

mtbr member
    leaving austin to visit family in Arlington this weekend. I am going to check this place out if the weather permits it! Looks like a lot of fun

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hitek79
    Not if you shuttle Apex
    Damn hitek, made me blow beer out my nose. There needs to be a smiley with that expression!! jrocket, there's been a lot of rain. Just FYI !! If the dirt is anything like cedar hill (just down the road) it wont be rideable.

mtbr member
    it was questionable at the trailhead so i decided to stay off. Turned out to be wise since it got me back to my aunts in time for mother nature to drop the hammer on dfw on saturday. I know where it is now and can't wait to ride it. Thanks Keithrad for the heads up

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

get sum

mtbr member
    looks like a fun trail. How long is the trail and is it a loop? How many features are you guys building on it? It looks great..definitely unique for Texas unless there's more stuff like this being built in the state (which would be cool).

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    the trail goes straight DH, when finished it will be about a minute long. There will be a stunt, kicker, double or berm about every hundred ft or so in the not to distant future. Right now this is the only completed wood stunt There is a fairly good sized doub a coupla kickers three huge berms and a big table top jump. There are actually two trails but both will be riddled with high and low speed stunts. Next up is a BIG wall ride that is about fifty percent comp. After that we may build a ski jump stunt. There will be an assortment of skinnies and bridges too.

mtbr member
    Anybody in the Irving area want to car pool this weekend? or maybe head over there one night during the week?

MyBikeStand.com
    DUDE, that kicker leading to the bridge has a knarly lip...looks like you would land close to the top if you carrying some good speed....the landing from the drop looks pretty far also.....has anybody tried it yet....cant wait to see some vid!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Looks sick!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Wow I think I am gonna have to up my skills for this place. It looks fun. Keep up the good work. Hope fully I will be able to check it out soon and possible help if I can.
    Good work,
    Mctigre

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Hell yeah fellas! So cool to see something FR/DH oriented in TX finally. I grew up in Dallas and have been living in CA/CO/UT since '93 but this actually gives me a second thought about maybe moving home in the next couple years.

P.S. I love the filter kicker onto the drop ramp, super smart to keep less-skilled riders from getting hurt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    the whole thing works perfect. the trail leading up to the filter kicker winds around a bit so you dont hit the kicker with a lot of speed. Two easy cranks off the top and you fly over the transition.

crazy jim

glassphisheye
    Nice! So when is the freeride fest?? We have one every year here in El Paso at Rough Rider Canyon. Maybe we could get a crew up there when you get more trail done
    web design and development in El Paso
    www.websitescenes.com | http://www.roughriderfreeride.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep, definitely going to have to bring a bike home with me next time I visit. Sick.

I helped build a similar trail system in Ohio over the last couple seasons called Horn's Hill. It's about 250 vert and now 4 trails, between 45 seconds and 2:30 long. If yall need any ideas, there are tons of pics and videos in this forum:
    http://www.chainsmoke.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Nice! So when is the freeride fest?? We have one every year here in El Paso at Rough Rider Canyon. Maybe we could get a crew up there when you get more trail done
    saturday May 9, come get some

pic from this eve

mtbr member
    wish i had the cojones (and the bike) to do that stuff.

glassphisheye
    saturday May 9, come get some

pic from this eve

Dude I have a job and Dallas is like 10 hrs away. Gonna need a little more of a heads up than that.. Anyway I'm talking about an actual event or something; a freeride fest not sesh. Trails look real nice though. How many lines are there?
    web design and development in El Paso
    www.websitescenes.com | http://www.roughriderfreeride.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by glassphisheye
    Dude I have a job and Dallas is like 10 hrs away. Gonna need a little more of a heads up than that.. Anyway I'm talking about an actual event or something; a freeride fest not sesh. Trails look real nice though. How many lines are there?
    combination Freeride/work fest went off without a hitch. Tons of people showed up to check out our scene. More good stuff is being worked on daily, stay tuned for update.

mtbr member
    We had a fun session out there this weekend. A lot of local church youth and xc riders were out to watch some of us ride the drop and top of the trail.

We have plans to do a big festival out there in time. Possibly something small later this year, and a more true festival by next year. Long term plans include a DS/mountiancross type track, pump track and jump area, more freeride and downhillish trails, trials section, ropes course, 20+miles of xc trails, and just possibly a superD (more super than D) type track depending on how the xc gets routed.

Summit, Horn hill looks pretty sweet. Similar to PM, but with more elevation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    where is Summit and Horn hill?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thank god, Moving to plano saturday. And just finished my Stinky.

If you ever see a big guy on https://www.murryfro.com/konabike/cone.jpg that's me.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I need to get out there and push some dirt around again. I'll have to get ahold of Britt soon.

Since the purchase of a new racer boi bike, my parts minus fork from my other bike are going to get moved to a VPP bike of some sort to rip on.
    Livin' the dream.

May 2009
    DORBA has launched a new site. Check there for more info as well as Dallas MTB for more reviews.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Check out the new Big Cedar video:

May 2009
    Thanks WarPig! I just saw it up on Bikemojo!

I am wanting to post it up on Dallas MTBhttp://Dallasmountainbiking.com if that is okay with you guys who put it together?

Marc

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Absolutely, post away! Hope this helps get the word out about Big Cedar.

Members who have read this thread: 0