In Dallas End of April

Printable View

• 04-04-2011
    forestbear
    In Dallas End of April
    My wife and I will be in Dallas for a wedding at the end of April. I'm left with plenty of time to kill while she does the bridal lunch and bridesmaid-e activities. I was hoping to get suggestions on good shops/rental places to grab a bike and local trail recommendations. I will have a rental car so getting out of town to some good riding won't be a problem.

Any suggestions on rentals (29er hard-tail would be preference but am flexible)? Trails?

Would like to get in some decent hours and see the best that the area has to offer. I'm open to all kinds - slow, techy, climbing, big downhills, lost-o-rocks, etc.

Looking forward to the suggestions.

Thanks!

Tony
  • 04-05-2011
    mtbscott
    Go to DORBA.org for trail and local info. There is a huge amount of places to ride in and around the area with lots of variety of terrain and conditions. Not from there so don't know who rents bikes. If no one pipes up here with suggestions, DORBA has their own forum.
  • 04-05-2011
    clewttu
    richardson bike mart is where many people rent from i believe
    http://bikemart.com/
    trails (wide variety of trail types)
    http://www.dorba.org/trails
    local forums for a better discussion
    http://www.dorba.org/trails
  • 04-05-2011
    hammy35
    Big Cedar or Northshore get my vote for an out of towner. Where are you staying? DFW is a little sprawled...
  • 04-06-2011
    Pedigre
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hammy35
    Big Cedar or Northshore get my vote for an out of towner. Where are you staying? DFW is a little sprawled...

Definitely good choices, depending on his level, of course.

Check out the DORBA site like was mentioned, particularly for linking up with locals and such. You can also get a little more trail info and details at the site linked in my sig. Like mtbscott eluded to, there's plenty to choose from.
  • 04-06-2011
    sooner518
    not alot of techy riding here.

Northshore is your best bet. the west side is more techy, but nothing crazy. The east side has some great flow to it. thats by far the best trail in the area. http://dorba.org/trail/northshore

where are you staying? that will tell alot on where the nearest best place is.
  • 04-06-2011
    GeremyHamlett
    I will vote for Northshore also :thumbsup:

http://www.dorba.org/trail/northshore
  • 04-06-2011
    Timeless
    I like Boulder Park and Rowlett Creek Preserve when I live there. Rowlett has 14+ mile trail system. One side is a bit more technical and the other is flatter.
    Boulder is pretty technical but I liked it. Biggest problem with Boulder is finding a place to park.
  • 04-06-2011
    clewttu
    Rowlett creek has lots of miles, but from the sounds of what you are looking for, you will hate it...good for beginners, took my buddy out there this weekend for his first ride and was reminded how suck it is
  • 04-06-2011
    ZachTX
    Another vote for Northshore here. Great trail.
  • 04-06-2011
    mtbscott
    Don't live there, but visit there often. I'm all about diversity of trails, DFW has it in spades.
    I would have to say my favorites are Oak Cliff and Rowlett Creek. I like Boulder but Oak Cliff, very close by, was designed from scratch and flows better. I like "woodsy" trails with swoops and it's got them. Rowlett Creek may be "easier" but I've been on some supersonic loops around it chasing some local area Cat 1's, and speed makes it very interesting. Weirdly perhaps, recreational riders may find it not challenging enough, but many of the local racers use it as their constant.
    Northshore has improved vastly since I first rode it in 1996 when it was a short out and back. It's now a much longer loop with several trailheads. Only personal downside was last time I was there with locals, we parked at Rockledge Park and came back to find our car broken into.:mad:
    I've also been a couple times to Erwin, Johnson Branch, many times to Bar H (don't know what its present state is), and Cedar Hill SP. Have not been to Big Cedar yet but hear great things about it and will be there for the race in May.
    Lastly, one of the lowliest trails in the Metroplex has lots of nostalgia to me, and that's LB Houston. Back in 1996 I started two new things, a job change within my company, and mountainbiking. For almost 10 weeks that year, I was in a company school in Irving, and I could ride my new mtb over to the park from the corporate lodging. I spent many hours riding away the stress on those trails. Last year, I revisited it, it's probably tripled in length, still very tight and dense, but also great fun if you like fast trails.
    I don't think you can go wrong at any of the places mentioned in this thread.
  • 04-19-2011
    PoisonDartFrog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by clewttu
    Rowlett creek has lots of miles, but from the sounds of what you are looking for, you will hate it...good for beginners, took my buddy out there this weekend for his first ride and was reminded how suck it is

Agreed, great place for a n00b tho... it's also a good place to get a lot of miles in on singletrack. I think there is 15-18 miles of trails if you want a longer ride.

It's a nice place in the summer because when it's hot outside, there is a lot of shade here, and it tends to be a bit cooler down in the creek bottoms. Technical? Hilly? Not so much.
  • 04-19-2011
    AceV
    I ride Rowlett Creek almost daily and rode Big Cedar today for the first time...

All I can say is WOW. It was awesome!

I still like Rowlett, but will definitely be making the trip to BC at least once a week...
  • 04-19-2011
    clewttu
    big cedar is the best in the area these days imo
  • 05-11-2011
    clewttu
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewelnak
    Anyone logged into Velolet.com down there? It's a bike rental hub online.

shill