Dallas area trails?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Dallas area trails?

Looking to get into some mountain biking and just wondering what sort of trails we have up here in Dallas.

mtbr member
    Lots of trails in Dallas and the surrounding area. Check out www.dorba2.com
    the local mountain biking club's website. There's about 23 trails in the area that are maintained. If you are just starting out, there's definately some trails that you could go on that wouldn't scare the crap out of you or get you hurt. And then there a few trails that you would want to avoid until you built some skills. DORBA has beginner clinics about once or twice a months too, which are pretty good.

What part of town are you in and what kind of bike do you have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm in Frisco.

I haven't got a bike yet, I'm just scraping some money together right now and doing all of my research. I'm looking at a Rockhopper or a Trek 4300, maybe even a GT Avalanche.

mtbr member
    Being in Frisco, you've got Arbor Hills about 5 miles south of you, Corinth Community Park to the west on the other side of the lake, and Erwin Park to the NE. All three are rather tame, but that's doesn't mean they aren't fun by any means, and make good places to get used to riding. Go a little further and there's plenty more to choose from.

Like bloodyknee mentioned, the DORBA site is a good place to start, esp. to meet up with and get others' opinions on their forum. The forum is the biggest benefit imo and you might consider joining DORBA if you find you dig mountain biking. The trail listings are ok, and the map shows most of the trails in the area, but not all of them (i.e. Corinth Comm. Park, et al.). To find the likes of Corinth and such, check out the link below and browse the map and listings there. Yeah, maybe I'm a touch biased.

Given the nature of MOST of the trails up that way, and if your budget is limited as it seems it may be, don't worry about trying to get a full suspension; instead focus more on a hard tail, such as the 4300 that you mention.

Edit: I have been told by a friend of mine, who has an Avalance, that she loves it.
    Last edited by Pedigre; 07-02-2010 at 11:23 PM.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've been to Arbor Hills. It's a lot of fun.

I'll check out those others. Thank you!

mtbr member
    If you don't mind a drive to Garland, Rowlette Creek Preserve is an excellent trail.

mtbr member
    If you are still looking for a bike, check the Dorba site for something used. It will save you some money or put you on a better bike than if you bought new.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I've also been checking Craigslist. Although I've been thinking about buying from a Shop to get the warranties and stuff. The 30 day tune up and stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    How tall are? what size bike are you looking for. I've got an older stumpjumper that I'd be willing to sell. Buy it mine or another used one for relatively cheap, spend the money to get a tune-up at a shop and you're into the sport for not much money.
    I'm 6'1" and the bike fit me fine. I like my bikes a little small though. It's a large. 19.5 I think.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm 6'3 6' 4'' around there

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Probably too small for you then.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I figured.

I was thinking like 21"

Also. 26 and 29 wheels. What are the pros and cons?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    An xl should work for you. It's 21. My first bike was an xl stumpjumper and it was a little to big for me.
    A 29er rolls over things easier according to everyone. I'm stuck in the dark ages. 26er single speed mtbike and fixed gear road

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by flbikerman
    A 29er rolls over things easier according to everyone
    ...but isn't necessarily as maneuverable. you can probably google it or skim teh forums and find plenty of threads already addressing the pros and cons.
    Pedigre

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I'm kinda leaning more towards the control side. So 26 seems to be a good option.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    are there any places to downhill in dallas or around the dallas area?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by icbotor
    are there any places to downhill in dallas or around the dallas area?
    Yes, Big Cedar is what you want.
    Pedigre

Life is Go0d!
    I will be in Irving September 13th - 15th... on business, I am looking for trails around this area? I have been riding for years and have no problems riding anything. What is the local preferred trail in this area?
    The only regrets in life, are the risks you didn't take.

meh
    Northshore is North of Irving on Lake Grapevine. Has from beginner/intermediate to expert (park at the madd shelter location and head east for easy, west for difficult). Prob the most popular trail among local riders.

Id also recommend south of Irving Oak Cliff Nature Preserve/Boulder/Big Cedar which are all in close proximity to one another

Those are pretty close to Irving, byt there are others if you are willing to drive a bit further

overall map
    http://www.mountainbiketx.com/google/index.php

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    My first bike when I got back into riding acouple of years ago was a GT Avalance 1.0. It was a great bike to get me going, held up to a lot of abuse (crashes) and I got a great deal on it. If you check the local shops you can sometimes find them at a good price. By the way, I still have it. My wife rides it as she is getting into riding.
    If ya ain't bleedin'...ya ain't ridin'.

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    Northshore is North of Irving on Lake Grapevine. Has from beginner/intermediate to expert (park at the madd shelter location and head east for easy, west for difficult). Prob the most popular trail among local riders.

Id also recommend south of Irving Oak Cliff Nature Preserve/Boulder/Big Cedar which are all in close proximity to one another

Those are pretty close to Irving, byt there are others if you are willing to drive a bit further

overall map
    http://www.mountainbiketx.com/google/index.php
    Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by timk125
    I'm in Frisco.

I haven't got a bike yet, I'm just scraping some money together right now and doing all of my research. I'm looking at a Rockhopper or a Trek 4300, maybe even a GT Avalanche.
    Hey Tim,

I am in Aubrey! just getting into riding again. I went to Sun and Ski Sports down by Stonebriar Mall and they hooked me up with a Scott Aspect 55 for a sweet deal. Nice guys and they have an in-store shop.

Don't know your budget, but might be a good place to start locally. I am also 6' 4" and they had multiple bikes in my size.

Happy trails,

Mike

Life is Go0d!
    We rode all of Northshore west yesterday... We love your trails DORBA!! Great tech. Riding and flow!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Dorba.org>>>>>>>Rowlett Creek or Oak Cliff Nature Preserve or Big Cedar Wilderness..........

Life is Go0d!
    The little woman and I on North Shore:

mtbr member
    mind if i "steal" some of those?
    Pedigre

Life is Go0d!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedigre
    mind if i "steal" some of those?
    Go right ahead...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rdickens48
    Rowlette Creek Preserve is an excellent trail.

NOT!

It is flat and stinks.

http://www.dorba2.com/trails
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel
    NOT!

It is flat and stinks.
    Loops 7 & 14 at Rowlett have lots of hills and are great fun. Also, try Sansom Park for a rocky challenge. I'm riding Big Ceder tomorrow for the first time - it's supposed to be technical with lots of jumps.

Ride or Die
    May 2012
    2 years later and all these trails are still some of the best. River legacy is pretty sweet on the first half. Isle dubois and johnson branch should definately be on this list. They are north of denton.
    Ride or Die
    Yeti Sb-66 - AM/FR/XC/DH
    Haro 124 - BMX
    Haro Flightline - XC

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chas_martel View Post
    NOT!

It is flat and stinks.

dorba2.com
    I just got back from Northern California where I did not have my bike, but hiked a lot of the trails used for mountain biking. Up in the hills there are lots of climbs, lots of loose gravel, lots of rocks and bumps and great for full-suspension bikes. No doubt it is a workout and is also fun.

That said, what makes a place like Rowlett Creek really amazing is that me, and others who come from NorCal love the fact that is flat, hard-packed and with few obstacles. You can ride it fast with a hard-tail and it is like a mix between road and mountain riding.

Of course everyone has their own preference, but for me I love Rowlett Creek preserve because I can get a great workout in about an hour with a variety of scenery from open field, to swamp to creekside.

For those who like to climb for a long while and then speed down a quick hill, that's not RCP. For those who like a more consistent ride, lots of turns and twists and even ups and downs, that's RCP.

Just my .02

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rider49152 View Post
    Loops 7 & 14 at Rowlett have lots of hills and are great fun. Also, try Sansom Park for a rocky challenge. I'm riding Big Ceder tomorrow for the first time - it's supposed to be technical with lots of jumps.
    let me know how that is if you don't mind, me and my riding buddy have been looking for some decent trails with some jumps, I'm an ex BMXer so I like to style it out at times

meh
    there is a small freeride area and a dirt jump area at big cedar, the vast majority of the trails there are singletrack though (here are some old pics)...you wont find trails with jumps on them locally, just a scattered hit here and there

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C.Smith View Post
    let me know how that is if you don't mind, me and my riding buddy have been looking for some decent trails with some jumps, I'm an ex BMXer so I like to style it out at times
    I've only seen 2-3 places at Rowlett Creek to catch air, mainly alongside the creek. Loop 7 is fun, but not too technical. I went on part of loop 14, mainly hike and bike. I did watch a guy catch air on 14, but without his bike. He rounded a curve, saw a downed tree, mashed his front disc brake and did a stuntman roll over the handlebars. It looked really good.

Ride or Die
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    I did watch a guy catch air on 14, but without his bike. He rounded a curve, saw a downed tree, mashed his front disc brake and did a stuntman roll over the handlebars. It looked really good.
    That sounds like fun. Hard to beat the adrenaline rush from a clean fall.
    Ride or Die
    Yeti Sb-66 - AM/FR/XC/DH
    Haro 124 - BMX
    Haro Flightline - XC

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Big Cedar has a downhill section where you can go nuts, catch air, etc. It it located at the beginning of SOS section of trail. Don't forget to sign the waiver at the trailhead, good for one year.

BC probably has the most climbing per lap of any trail around Dallas as of this year. Lots of new track out there that goes up and down and up and down Prayer Mountain. Fun place. Packed on Sunday because of church up there too.
    ... And I Am You,
    And What I See Is Me!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildeyes View Post
    Big Cedar has a downhill section where you can go nuts, catch air, etc. It it located at the beginning of SOS section of trail. Don't forget to sign the waiver at the trailhead, good for one year.

BC probably has the most climbing per lap of any trail around Dallas as of this year. Lots of new track out there that goes up and down and up and down Prayer Mountain. Fun place. Packed on Sunday because of church up there too.
    waiting to get my truck back from the shop then me and a buddy of mine are going down there to check it out, but it'll be during the week and morning
    Santa Cruz Superlight RXC.

PMarsh Thumbs Up!
    Quote Originally Posted by CajunJamie View Post
    I just got back from Northern California where I did not have my bike, but hiked a lot of the trails used for mountain biking. Up in the hills there are lots of climbs, lots of loose gravel, lots of rocks and bumps and great for full-suspension bikes. No doubt it is a workout and is also fun.

That said, what makes a place like Rowlett Creek really amazing is that me, and others who come from NorCal love the fact that is flat, hard-packed and with few obstacles. You can ride it fast with a hard-tail and it is like a mix between road and mountain riding.

Of course everyone has their own preference, but for me I love Rowlett Creek preserve because I can get a great workout in about an hour with a variety of scenery from open field, to swamp to creekside.

For those who like to climb for a long while and then speed down a quick hill, that's not RCP. For those who like a more consistent ride, lots of turns and twists and even ups and downs, that's RCP.

Just my .02
    Where all did you hike?
    2011 Giant Glory 01
    2013 Pivot Firebird
    2004 Turner Rail - Stoled

Members who have read this thread: 0