Cypresswood, more like Sandywood- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Cypresswood, more like Sandywood

It's like riding through a sand box. On the plus side I'm learning how to drift like a mad man.

Oh and watch out for the dead armadillo. I here they carry leprosy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    ive been riding cypresswood alot lately and im just about to switch tires for it X) the giant sand pit in the middle of the trail is a death trap for noobs like me.

mtbr member
    Ya, I changed out the tires on my stumpy a while back because I got tired of wiping out in the loose corners. I found a 2.1 WTB Werewolf and 2.3 WTB Prowler on sale at Nashbar.com. They made a huge difference. Anything with big widely spaced nobs will help out a lot.

Trick to the sand pits is to drop down a gear or two before you hit the sand and just paddle through. Don't stop peddling until you make it to the other side.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    thanks for the advice! ill look into getting those tires

since 4/10/2009
    I have had good luck with a 2.4 Conti mtn King on the front and a 2.2 on the back. A 2.4 in back would be better, but I was trying to keep tire weight down some. Wide in front helps keep you from washing out in the corner. Also, low tire pressure is essential for sand so you float over it rather than cutting into it.

and yeah, something like 20% of armadillos carry leprosy. you can even get it from gardening in an area where a carrier armadillo has dug recently.

mtbr member
    Oh ya, Like Nate said put the fatter tire up front for better control. Narrower tire in the back for better rolling resistance. Plus it looks cooler that way.

I was riding the trails on the east side of Cypresswood when I almost ran right through the decomposing armadillo. I had just watched Man Women Wild on Discovery, the night before. That's where I herd about the leprosy. They actually ate the armadillo after going on about how they carry the incurable disease. I'd rather go hungry

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by pleepleus View Post
    Oh ya, Like Nate said put the fatter tire up front for better control. Narrower tire in the back for better rolling resistance. Plus it looks cooler that way.

I was riding the trails on the east side of Cypresswood when I almost ran right through the decomposing armadillo. I had just watched Man Women Wild on Discovery, the night before. That's where I herd about the leprosy. They actually ate the armadillo after going on about how they carry the incurable disease. I'd rather go hungry
    maybe it was incurable in the Biblical era, but not so much now.

Leprosy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    I run Kenda Slant 6 front and Small Block 8 rear, both 2.25. They work great at Cypresswood, my home trail, at around 25-30psi. I'm singlespeed so there's no downshifting for the sand.

Big knobby tires are a bit overkill for the trails around Houston.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20 View Post
    Big knobby tires are a bit overkill for the trails around Houston.
    the knobs on my mk's (older style) are really not that aggressive. they are enough to grab onto the roots, but they're widely spaced which is nice in the sand.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    a tighter tread pattern is better in sand. the last thing you want is for the tire to dig in.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20 View Post
    a tighter tread pattern is better in sand. the last thing you want is for the tire to dig in.
    you'd have to see how these tires operate under those conditions to get it, but they work well in the sand for me. I used to run micro-knobbies with a pretty dense knob pattern and they were terrible in loose sand. washed out far too easily in the corners. the knobs on the mk are not so tall that they dig into the sand and churn it up. they are tall enough, however, to grab any roots that might mess up your line on steep climbing turns like we have in Nac

mtbr member
    I've never had problems with digging into the sand. The wide spaced nobs act like a paddle tire. Almost like a paddle boat in water.

There's no such thing as overkill. It's good to be prepared for anything.

I agree with low pressure. I also run 30/25 psi and I'm about 170 lbs with my camlebak loaded.

mtbr member
    Somebody covered the big sand pit with gravel and packed it down. Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    rode cypresswood for the first time in the daylight this past week, its really beautiful this time of year. the day after it rained i went out and it was so fast. a few puddles but manageable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    where is cypresswood?

edit: Nevermind, I see it's by Meyer Park, which is pretty big. Can anyone give me a better idea where at?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain View Post
    where is cypresswood?

edit: Nevermind, I see it's by Meyer Park, which is pretty big. Can anyone give me a better idea where at?
    Corner of Cypresswood and TC Jester. Some is private property, some is county land. Find the named trail signs and you are in the right spot. There is a small parking lot on the NW corner of the intersection you can park in. Then just across Cypresswood to the trail entrances.
    Better to be a rider for a moment than a spectator for a lifetime.

XC racer
    May 2005
    Most folks park in Collins Park, then ride the trails east alongside the creek. Very easy to follow, there are signs marking the "official part."

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Unfortunately, GHORBA brought about a ton more riders than what Cwood used to see. Not only do i think all that traffic makes more sand, but it means ghorba will smooth out any slightly technical feature as well to accomodate for all the road bikes that ride the trail (and lawsuit happy idiots). If you want to ride what Cwood used to be like, just do a few loops in either direction on the east side of tc jester, everything else is pretty much junk for walmart/road bikes.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BloodyRoots View Post
    If you want to ride what Cwood used to be like.
    Used to be like?

Compared to what cypresswoods was like in 96í the trails out there are awesome.

Trails evolve the super cool neat-o trail that you remember when you first stated riding isnít the same trail today.

Cypresswood was never anything other than a good SS bike trail if you want rocks and drop-offs head on up to central Texas.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    HAL, I do head out there, quite often. Do you not remember the bowl area back in the 90's? All of the trails through the east side of tc jester that have been logged? I've lived directly behind the trails since the late 80's and have been riding/maintaining them probably as long or longer than you. All of the GHORBA trails (at cypresswood) are junk. Smoothed out lawsuit avoidance paths.
    Last edited by BloodyRoots; 03-15-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    2013 Ibis Mojo HD Special Blend with dropper post, hope/stans wheelset and hope x2/m4 brakes

mtbr member
    Do you not remember the bowl area back in the 90's?
    Yes I remember all of that way before tc jester got cut through and way before the flood of 99'

like i said trails evolve memorial park is pretty much dummied down from where it was back in the mid-90's and the same goes for the anthills.

with 2.1 million folks in Houston the 4th largest city in the U.S. we have really crappy places to ride on or off road GHORBA is at least trying to deal with the red tape and bureaucracy of getting legit trails built.

every time we built outlaw trail in the 90's and early 80's the city/county would shut them down remember the roller coaster? area 51? east side trails at the anthills? I sure do and i also remember them being closed.

be a part of the solution rather than the problem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Well ghorba got involved to save what they could when tc jester was coming through. That's great... But the trails are constantly being dumbed down. Anytime something fun is formed, be it from weather or someone building something, ghorba tears it down and smooths it out. People are doing it to the non ghorba side as well so they can enjoy road biking on the trails. It is making a lot of the locals mad. Just the other day I saw two guys on Walmart bikes without helmets ripping a bridge apart and putting it on a blind drop so they could "ungnar" the descent. since the Collins side came into play I've seen a LOT more of that. DORBA doesn't seem to have an issue with their trails being dumbed down. Neither does Austin...
    Last edited by BloodyRoots; 03-15-2012 at 08:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    This is an IMBA trail.

Coldwater Mountain, AL -- Singletrack Project Preview - YouTube

I don't see any reason why features like that can't be built on "GHORBA" trails.

mtbr member
    DORBA doesn't seem to have an issue with their trails being dumbed down. Neither does Austin...
    perhaps you could join GHORBA or attend a meeting and express your concerns...

i'm not a member so i've got no skin in the game either way

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WaveDude View Post
    This is an IMBA trail.

Coldwater Mountain, AL -- Singletrack Project Preview - YouTube

I don't see any reason why features like that can't be built on "GHORBA" trails.
    also note that they had both an A line and B line to satisfy noobs and experienced riders.
    Trust me I hate the dummied down trails just as much as anyone however you just canít have too many technical features on a multi-use/skill trail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    HAL, I do head out there, quite often. Do you not remember the bowl area back in the 90's? All of the trails through the east side of tc jester that have been logged? I've lived directly behind the trails since the late 80's and have been riding/maintaining them probably as long or longer than you. All of the GHORBA trails (at cypresswood) are junk. Smoothed out lawsuit avoidance paths.
    Hello BloodyRoots. If you've been riding out there for so many years and enjoyed The Bowl, then you only have yourself to thank for it's current condition. GHORBA only maintains (and built) the trails from Collins Park to TC Jester. The Bowl is carte-blanche for the hucksters make it as good as they want. If you think the rest of Cypresswood is too easy, you're not riding fast enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by khighfield View Post
    Hello BloodyRoots. If you've been riding out there for so many years and enjoyed The Bowl, then you only have yourself to thank for it's current condition. GHORBA only maintains (and built) the trails from Collins Park to TC Jester. The Bowl is carte-blanche for the hucksters make it as good as they want. If you think the rest of Cypresswood is too easy, you're not riding fast enough.
    I'm aware of the GHORBA side of the trails. I had the GHORBA trail building machine over at the parents house for quite some time.
    My point is that people are dumbing down all of the technical spots on the east side to accommodate for their road bikes. As for the bowl, I used to maintain the area back in 01-03 or so and then moved out of town and came back to it being overgrown and none of the fun stuff being there anymore.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean about the "dumbing down" on the east side.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khighfield View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about the "dumbing down" on the east side.
    cypresswoods needs some stuff like this!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Looks just like one of the lines at the Widowmaker.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I rode cypresswood yesterday and thought the trail conditions were pretty good, there was a few sandy areas but all in all it rode well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just ordered my first bike in a couple of years, maybe one of you chaps could show me the ropes at Cypresswood one of these days. I remember riding the Anthills about 10 years ago, and it was a blast, but I remember it could get dangerous with the speed and oncoming traffic (riders)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm just learning the trails myself and am a new rider but I'd be more than happy to meet you out there and ride. I've ridden them three times now in the past week and think I've got them down. There's a bowl out there that's pretty fun for a real quick downhill. Also bikebarn meets up at 7:15 on Saturday morning to ride the trails.

mtbr member
    The bowl has recently received a facelift from some local riders. Some nice doubles, step downs and step ups and a few other goodies. Not sure how the rain affected it, but I imagine it needs some work. Why don't you bring a small shovel with you when you ride to help repair some of the erosion?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowell77 View Post
    I'm just learning the trails myself and am a new rider but I'd be more than happy to meet you out there and ride. I've ridden them three times now in the past week and think I've got them down. There's a bowl out there that's pretty fun for a real quick downhill. Also bikebarn meets up at 7:15 on Saturday morning to ride the trails.
    My son is only 9 days old, so when he is a little less high-maintenance I'll take you up on it!

mtbr member
    Perhaps his unwinding can take place on the trails!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    lol he does have his first bike already!

Happy Camper
    Hey I met a guy out at Cywood a few weeks ago who claimed he helped to carve out these trails in the early 90's. He claimed to have the world's 2nd smallest bike ( a weight weenie ). Anyone know who Im talking about?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    hmmm... cwood has been around longer than that. Not sure that they were "Carved" out as they used to be atv/dirt bike trails. The new sections were done right after TC Jester went through, and that was mid 00's

Maybe he was talking about improper?

Know what kind of bike it was? I've seen some pretty light niner fully rigid carbons out there.

Happy Camper
    No, he was talking about there. He said he used to ride from stubener to 45 along cypress creek, and would hack away at the brush on the atv trails with a machete. He was about 40 y o and said he owned a hair salon. Said he used to race proffesionally. It was about a 14 lb, bike fully carbon with titanium bolts; I dont remember the brand name though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    That's Matthew. Fully rigid niner. Sweet bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    sand isnt too bad now, rode yesterday and it was fast

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    my buddy ate it though

Big Damn Hero
    Quote Originally Posted by ITrekStarI View Post
    sand isnt too bad now, rode yesterday and it was fast
    It's a sand pit out there right now... I did around 20 miles all over the cwood trails today and it's drift city out there.
    Orbea Alma
    Ritchey Road Logic
    Surly Karate Monkey
    Diamondback Haanjo
    Specialized Epic Marathon