critical mass- Mtbr.com

Thread: critical mass

mtbr member

critical mass

does anyone know the dates for the april 2011 critical mass. trying to get my girlfriend on a bike and figured that would be a great way. please let me know

meh
    critical mass is bad for cycling

mtbr member
    thanks for not answering my question...
    if we had real trails here, thats what we would do

XC racer
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by clewttu
    +1.
    There are plenty of real trails in and around Houston, just not downhill courses.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I always thought that the Mass rides were held on the last Friday of every month, meeting at Tranquility Park. I've never been to a CritMass ride in Houston b/c of all the horror stories I've heard (hipsters )
    Fuji Thrill hardtail SS

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sikkP
    if we had real trails here, thats what we would do
    Wow, probably too cool for brakes on your fixie too.

You should probably post this question as a comment on your favorite downhill fixie tire skid youtube video, probably get more response from the intended audience.

mtbr member
    are hipsters in the category of emos? there's a million other ways to get your girlfriend on a bike... one of them being NOT doing a critical ass or fecal mess ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie
    Wow, probably too cool for brakes on your fixie too.

You should probably post this question as a comment on your favorite downhill fixie tire skid youtube video, probably get more response from the intended audience.
    yea thats why i am on a mtb forum.... ****ing ****** bag! i have def never owned and will never own a fixie. trying to get my girlfriend into bikes, figured a street ride would be easier for the first ride considering she hasn't been on a bike since childhood. keep rocking your spandex, ***!

mtbr member
    yea thats why i am on a mtb forum.... ****ing ****** bag! i have def never owned and will never own a fixie. trying to get my girlfriend into bikes, figured a street ride would be easier for the first ride considering she hasn't been on a bike since childhood. keep rocking your spandex, ***!

i am surprised that you don't like fixies! they are the only ones out there with a shitty brake setup like yourself. they prob can't affford nice brakes so they say **** it and take them off! keep collecting your cans and maybe you can build up a descent ride **** stick

meh
    a street ride that hurts the positive image cyclists are trying to promote
    cant you take her on a ride yourself without the CM asshats? what is the need for CM to ride around town?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    i am surprised that you don't like fixies! they are the only ones out there with a shitty brake setup like yourself. they prob can't affford nice brakes so they say **** it and take them off! keep collecting your cans and maybe you can build up a descent ride **** stick
    HTML owns you.

mtbr member
    a street ride that hurts the positive image cyclists are trying to promote
    cant you take her on a ride yourself without the CM asshats? what is the need for CM to ride around town?
    prob what i will do...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    prob what i will do...
    Are you familiar with the Terry Hershey paved running/biking trail? Nice park benches, bathrooms, water fountains, next to the bayou...good place to introduce a friend girl to cycling.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie
    Are you familiar with the Terry Hershey paved running/biking trail? Nice park benches, bathrooms, water fountains, next to the bayou...good place to introduce a friend girl to cycling.

thank you, that is the help i am looking for. i don't know this area very well.

meh
    not from around there but a quick google search brought up some MUP trails around Terry Hershey Park and George Bush Park along the Buffalo Bayou
    http://www.buffalobayou.org/

mtbr member
    May 2010
    No problem; good thing the internet isn't real--contemplating CM is rainman-esque retarded.

Double Lake is a good out of town trip, easy enough for beginners and a nice lake to sun and paddle in. Lake Houston isn't far away and similar, but I haven't been there. Memorial purple trail is mostly gravel and appropriate for leaf looking, but gets humid and no wind.

mtbr member
    So really, you were asking the wrong question. What you really wanted to ask was "where can I take my girlfriend to ride around here".

And +2 - the Critical Mass crap pisses me off every time I see it happen, and I am bike-friendly. All it does is draw negative attention to biking by flagrantly choking off city streets and fcuking with everyone's day. It's not cool, it's retarded. Don't be a part.
    Mind your own religion.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quoted for truth.

I love catching heat for others mis-doings when I just trying to get home from work.

Wanderer
    http://houstoncriticalmass.com/

Its fun, I do it on my mtb.

Totally a social ride with lots of stops.

Last friday of each month.

mtbr member
    From what I've heard she'll end up getting hurt riding in the group if she's new to cycling. It's a bunch of wannabe cyclists that, as stated above, clog the streets and drink beer on the road.

That being said I've never done it myself, just listened to the opinions of 3 or 4 friends that have ridden it.

meh
    that, and not obeying traffic laws like red lights and such

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Toff
    http://houstoncriticalmass.com/

Its fun, I do it on my mtb.

Totally a social ride with lots of stops.

Last friday of each month.

The people who show up to those are pretentious and fake. If you show up with anything other than a pink and green powder-coated fixed gear with matching tape on a bull-horn handlebar, you will get nasty looks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails critical mass-ugly-fixie.jpg  

Fuji Thrill hardtail SS

mtbr member
    haha! def dont have pink and green wheels and matching tape. i like my bikes with scratches and dirt lol.

Wanderer
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringBranchSingleSpeedy
    The people who show up to those are pretentious and fake. If you show up with anything other than a pink and green powder-coated fixed gear with matching tape on a bull-horn handlebar, you will get nasty looks.
    Thats an interesting opinion because I have found them to be friendly and welcoming and I'm generally the only one with helmet, lycra, camelbak and mtb.

XC racer
    May 2005
    I think someone needs to get their definitions straight. Critical Mass, as it originated, was meant to be an act of civil disobedience to protest poor enforcement of safety and traffic laws regarding cyclists getting injured.
    How that devolved into "social ride for neon colored hipsters" is beyond me.
    I think the idea of true Critical Mass has outlived its usefulness, much like the "rides of silence."
    If this Houston social ride is just that, a social ride, they should change their name.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Pittzer

daaaaamn.
    Fuji Thrill hardtail SS

mtbr member
    Ghorba.org

This has all the locations and trails maps for the majority of trials around Houston. Terry Hershey would be a great place to start because the concrete trail basically follows right next to the MTB trail. That way your girl can try out the trail if she wants and if it is a little much for her, the concrete trail is right there.

Memorial park also has a purple trail in its "colored trails" which is basically just a gravel path. If she can ride a bike, she can ride this trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nobrakes2007
    Ghorba.org

This has all the locations and trails maps for the majority of trials around Houston. Terry Hershey would be a great place to start because the concrete trail basically follows right next to the MTB trail. That way your girl can try out the trail if she wants and if it is a little much for her, the concrete trail is right there.

Memorial park also has a purple trail in its "colored trails" which is basically just a gravel path. If she can ride a bike, she can ride this trail.

Thanks for the info.. have a good one!

mtbr member
    1st time in the Texas forum and I'm glad too see all the anti-CM comments. I have family thru-out Texas though most in Austin and Yoakum. As soon as I saw this thread, I immediately envisioned some good ol' boy in big truck putting a dent in the CM peleton.

Come see me after class
    Dec 2005
    i rode CM once with my cousins on our MTBs, before i really new what it was. it made hypocrites out of us (we hate cyclists that disobey traffic laws) so we never rode it again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BGillespie View Post
    Is that the feeder road for the Hershey Highway?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Just the tip.

mtbr member
    CM is a joke and it makes real cyclists look like a joke.

Try doing that with a bunch of cars down the interstate. Maybe just take a bunch of cars. Park them on the interstate and have a sit. Yeah, that would go over real well.

Members who have read this thread: 0