commuting in San Marcos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2006

commuting in San Marcos

Ok, I am still relatively new to biking in general (about 7 months) so it might just be me, but aren't the drivers just HORRID in San Marcos? I have already had two screaching tires incident while trying to cross over sessom while on aquarena. I love riding my bike and I enjoy commuting to school, but I am starting to rethink my options. This is only my first semester here and I have only ridden my bike a hand full of times, but it's just beginning to worry me...I can't afford to get hit by a car. Any tips for the veteran commuters or MTBers in the SM area? Also, where are the trails...in SA I was soo spoiled, I had OP scnaebel about 5 minutes (bike ride) away.

mtbr member

SM drivers...

Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    Ok, I am still relatively new to biking in general (about 7 months) so it might just be me, but aren't the drivers just HORRID in San Marcos? I have already had two screaching tires incident while trying to cross over sessom while on aquarena. I love riding my bike and I enjoy commuting to school, but I am starting to rethink my options. This is only my first semester here and I have only ridden my bike a hand full of times, but it's just beginning to worry me...I can't afford to get hit by a car. Any tips for the veteran commuters or MTBers in the SM area? Also, where are the trails...in SA I was soo spoiled, I had OP scnaebel about 5 minutes (bike ride) away.
    Yeah drivers there blow. Some kid lost his leg not too long ago due to a truck hitting him while he was riding. I've heard nightmare stories.

Closest thing I know of is the Madrone Trail @ Canyon Lake, doubt you'll be able to ride there unless you're a beast. The good news is that you have Austin not too far away, and you already know SA, split the difference and you're in SM. Good location

Got Mojo?
    Quote Originally Posted by DP1112
    Also, where are the trails...

You should get hooked up with the Texas State Cycling team
    aLaN AT BikeMojo DOT com

Builder of Trails
    Feb 2004
    My brother James lives in SM and has commuted to Texas State from Uhland Rd. You can email him to ask him questions about commuting in SM. He's the webmaster @txstate.edu. He also posts here as imbawebguy.

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yes, San Marcos is absolutely horrible for commuting by bicycle. The town is just not bike friendly in general. There is only one street with a decent bike lane (Holland) and with the rest of the bike lanes being completely pointless. I seriously do not understand the point of the 1-block long lane on Comanche St. or the few block long lane on Aquarena east of the interstate. It makes me wonder if by law or ordinance that a certain percentage of newly built (or rebuilt) roads have to have a bike lane and this is the easiest way to comply.

As far as dealing with the idiot drivers, your best bet is just to stay REALLY vigilant. Keep your eyes open for anything, because if you haven't seen it, you will. I think much of the problem is that drivers are not used to bicycles. There aren't that many of us here, probably because we are the only few brave souls willing to get out there on two wheels. It is very much a catch 22 because if it was safer and easier for cyclists, you'd see more.

As for trails, there are a couple. First, we have Prospect Park, a small system of trails in the greenbelt accessed at the end of Prospect St. off of Bishop St. Second, there is Dakota Ranch on RR12. The trail there is at the back of the the DK Ranch apartments. Take the gravel service driveway that goes down the left side of the complex (facing the complex from RR12) to the end where it opens into a small field. The trail head is at the back of the field. As far as I know, this trail is still under construction, so it is not a complete loop yet.
    Get on your bikes and ride!

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Yeah, I thought San Antonio was bad. I learned VERY quickly here that riding with headphones is just NOT an option. I can't believe the amount of traffic for such a small (size wise) town. It's laughable the amount of traffic that piles up almost constantly throughout the day on aquarena. I bet most people are coming from less than 4 miles away. I agree with you bikerboy, it is certainly a catch-22. I know I am very close to being deterred from commuting via two wheels.
    thanks for the directions to the trails!

May 2004
    I gave up. Too damn dangerous riding on Aquarena every day. I commuted for over a year in Columbus Ohio ( a city of 1 million people) and i didn't have the close calls I have here. iv'e actually witnesses 3 crashes on Aquarena and driven up on another dozen of so in 5 years. This town SUCKS for bikers and walkers. There is no sidewalk between Bobcat Village and the main campus! That is a university owned apartment. Instead they have to ride the bus to the stadium and WALK across 5 lanes of traffic on Aqarena to get home. What a load of crap. A student is going to get killed. And yes, i saw the biker who lost his leg to the trash truck. He was a track star. Bad bad bad mojo for bikers here.

At least we are getting some bike trail built. Every wednesday at 6:30 behind Dakota Ranch Apartments. No experience needed.

Members who have read this thread: 0