• 06-20-2011
    frontier2k1
    Coming to Austin the week of 4th of July
    My girlfriend and I are coming to visit some friends in Texas that week and are looking to do some riding. I was looking at the austin ridge riders deal and will probably try and do the no drop ride at WC that Sunday morning(the 3rd.) It seems like the barton greenbelt is a good area and we'll probably check that out during the week we're there. Reveille Peak Ranch also looks sweet but it may be a little too technical for my GF. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I'm from Houston originally and have been to Austin several times in the last couple years but never have brought my mtb with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
  • 06-21-2011
    ninjammin
    I would imagine there will be plenty of holiday rides going on that weekend. Also check out the Voodoo section of bikemojo.com. I'm pretty close to the greenbelt, so let me know if you want someone to show you around a little.
  • 06-21-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by frontier2k1 View Post
    My girlfriend and I are coming to visit some friends in Texas that week and are looking to do some riding. I was looking at the austin ridge riders deal and will probably try and do the no drop ride at WC that Sunday morning(the 3rd.) It seems like the barton greenbelt is a good area and we'll probably check that out during the week we're there. Reveille Peak Ranch also looks sweet but it may be a little too technical for my GF. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I'm from Houston originally and have been to Austin several times in the last couple years but never have brought my mtb with me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Much of Reveille Peak Ranch is easier than much of Barton Creek Greenbelt. RPR has grippier rock and some great scenery. Barton Creek is close to town and fun as well. Walnut Creek is the lowest for technical, fun and fast. Go to the ARR ride and you will have plenty of folks to show you and your GF around.

I might be available to show you RPR while you are here.
  • 06-25-2011
    frontier2k1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chardog View Post
    Much of Reveille Peak Ranch is easier than much of Barton Creek Greenbelt. RPR has grippier rock and some great scenery. Barton Creek is close to town and fun as well. Walnut Creek is the lowest for technical, fun and fast. Go to the ARR ride and you will have plenty of folks to show you and your GF around.

I might be available to show you RPR while you are here.

Thanks guys! I'll probably be hitting you up for a little tour when we get in town, I'd really like to check out RPR.
  • 06-25-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

Thanks guys! I'll probably be hitting you up for a little tour when we get in town, I'd really like to check out RPR.

RPR is definitely worth checking out. I am pretty open for the three day weekend Saturday-Monday. Probably will take one day to visit family, but two of those days to play.

Which day works best for a day trip to RPR? I will plan on it.:thumbsup:
  • 06-25-2011
    chardog
    We can make it a group ride. I can post up on this and our local BikeMojo.com forum. There will be lots of riders of all levels.
  • 06-25-2011
    chardog
    Pulled the trigger
    Independence Weekend ride at RPR Saturday 7/2/11

Planning a group ride at RPR on either July 2. I contacted the ranch and they suggested Saturday would be best as there will be a triathlon on Monday and there may be some pre-race activity here and there along the trail system on Sunday.

I will guide a social paced ride that will include everything out there including the less easier to follow "Middle-Upper" and "Lower-Upper" loops as well as the Super-D course.

Show up just after 8 am to sign in at the office. We will gather, make a plan, probably drive down to the quarry area, cash water along the trail and ride start at 8:30.

Those who do Facebook, Meet-Up, etc. Feel free to post on those.

Bring your favorite picnic and beverage items and a chair for post-ride festivities.

Carpooling encouraged. Post up what part of town you are in and how many you can fit in your car. I live near 45th & Mopac and can take one other person and bike, but am also willing to ride with others.

See RPR website for more info and directions: http://rprtexas.com/
  • 06-26-2011
    frontier2k1
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chardog View Post
    Independence Weekend ride at RPR Saturday 7/2/11

Planning a group ride at RPR on either July 2. I contacted the ranch and they suggested Saturday would be best as there will be a triathlon on Monday and there may be some pre-race activity here and there along the trail system on Sunday.

I will guide a social paced ride that will include everything out there including the less easier to follow "Middle-Upper" and "Lower-Upper" loops as well as the Super-D course.

Show up just after 8 am to sign in at the office. We will gather, make a plan, probably drive down to the quarry area, cash water along the trail and ride start at 8:30.

Those who do Facebook, Meet-Up, etc. Feel free to post on those.

Bring your favorite picnic and beverage items and a chair for post-ride festivities.

Carpooling encouraged. Post up what part of town you are in and how many you can fit in your car. I live near 45th & Mopac and can take one other person and bike, but am also willing to ride with others.

See RPR website for more info and directions: http://rprtexas.com/

I wish I could do Saturday but I'm just getting into town that day and will be beat after a 20 hour drive from NC. I was hoping Monday but the event they have going on kind of keeps that from happening. Anyone interested in riding that Sunday? I'd love to make that ride on Saturday but we won't get into Austin until maybe 11am or so and that's driving straight through from NC.
  • 06-27-2011
    chardog
    Quote:

I wish I could do Saturday but I'm just getting into town that day and will be beat after a 20 hour drive from NC. I was hoping Monday but the event they have going on kind of keeps that from happening. Anyone interested in riding that Sunday? I'd love to make that ride on Saturday but we won't get into Austin until maybe 11am or so and that's driving straight through from NC.

I can't make Sunday, but I am sure someone from Austin would be up to it.

Try posting up on bikemojo.com Austin Voodoo Forum. You will get a response.