• 05-10-2012
    LARRYJO
    Coming to Austin the middle of June, where to ride?
    Howdy all,

I am coming to Austin for work the 3rd week in June from Seattle and will be bringing my bike. It is a 29er Fully Rigid HT SS.
    I will not have a car but have heard that there are a couple of good rides that are easy to get to from Downtown.
    Any help is greatly appreciated. I would also be willing to pitch in gas money if anyone wants to do a ride out of town and could drive.:) I will have all day Sat, June 2nd available.

Thanks,

Lawrence
  • 05-10-2012
    baconismidog
    This is the place to line up rides:

Austin VooDoo
  • 05-10-2012
    Rovertd
    austinbike.com has a lot of info about in town trails. You can hit a bunch from downtown with a little riding Austin. The barton creek greenbelt is the most famous and close to where you'll be.
    Coming from seattle a suggest you bring a cold front (smiley face goes here).
  • 05-10-2012
    LARRYJO
    Quote:

Originally Posted by baconismidog View Post
    This is the place to line up rides:

Austin VooDoo

I registered at Bikemojo but it won't let me start a thread.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rovertd View Post
    austinbike.com has a lot of info about in town trails. You can hit a bunch from downtown with a little riding Austin. The barton creek greenbelt is the most famous and close to where you'll be.
    Coming from seattle a suggest you bring a cold front (smiley face goes here).

I don't mind the heat as I grew up in Georgia and sometimes miss it.:)
  • 05-10-2012
    Mr Bacon Jr
    Barton Creek Greenbelt is a good place to start, especially if you are car-less. Post up 5 times (I think) on Mojo, and make a ride call for when you are here. You really want a guide to get all you can out of the BCGB. I would be happy to join you, as would several other regulars out there.

Pace Bend is also a good choice, as is Revillie Peak; you would need a ride, but that should be easy to arrange.
  • 05-11-2012
    Adeptus_Minor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LARRYJO View Post

I don't mind the heat as I grew up in Georgia and sometimes miss it.:)

You say that, but there's heat, and then there's what we had here last summer.
    If we have that again this summer... wow... :eekster:
  • 05-11-2012
    austin_bike
    I am going to be in Amsterdam and Paris for most of June, then may be doing some long bike road trips. But I may be able to give you a proper greenbelt tour if our schedules align. Ping me when it gets closer.
  • 05-11-2012
    LARRYJO
    Thanks guys.
    I will give you a shout in the next couple of weeks.
    I will have the afternoon of the 20th(WED) and then anytime after 6 Thursday and Friday and then till 3pm on Sat to ride. I fly out Sat at 6.

Cheers,

Lawrence
  • 05-15-2012
    deathphoenix99
    I was just in Austin this past weekend and rode part of the barton creek greenbelt. It was a lot of fun for me, the g/f didn't care for it as much since she's new to biking and isn't very good offroad. It was a rocky trail in places, and may be uncomfortable on a rigid bike, but that's up to you and what you're used to. One suggestion is to wear your swim trunks, I did and would jump in the creek and enjoy the river. It's a good way to cool off and there's plenty of places to swim (not to mention a lot of people partying). I also enjoyed jumping off of the rocks, but that's besides the point. I wouldn't mind heading back out there sometime before the end of June and explore more on the greenbelt.

Here's a partial picture of the map for the trail.

I sadly didn't take any pictures of the trails, but here's a couple of the river.

• 05-15-2012
    baconismidog
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LARRYJO View Post
    Thanks guys.
    I will give you a shout in the next couple of weeks.
    I will have the afternoon of the 20th(WED) and then anytime after 6 Thursday and Friday and then till 3pm on Sat to ride. I fly out Sat at 6.

Cheers,

Lawrence

If you're interested in a night ride I can probably take you on a tour of the Greenbelt one of the weekday evenings. I put my kid to sleep at 8ish and live at the greenbelt so I'm usually wheels down by 8:30-8:45. Probably stay out for 2-3 hours. I'll know more close to the date but at this point my calendar is clear

You'll need a decent light for night riding out there so be sure to bring one.
  • 06-07-2012
    ninjammin
    Make sure that you gear your bike right before you make it into town since you're singlespeeding it. We have lots of short steep climbs and ledges here. Having said that, I'm not one to ask about what works because I like gears and other conveniences like sliced bread.

Hit me up if you want a guide for some of it. You can also keep an eye on mojo although there aren't many ride calls there anymore, and the austin mountain bike meetup group on meetup.com.
  • 06-08-2012
    sooner518
    seems unlikely there will be much water on the Greenbelt in 2 more weeks....
  • 06-08-2012
    ninjammin
    If the current trend continues, you're dead on.
  • 06-18-2012
    LARRYJO
    Hey guys,
    Thanks for all the posts and info.
    Sorry I have not contacted any of you but life and work has got me running around like a chicken with its head cut off.
    I am still planning on riding Wed afternoon and Sat morning so i will probably keep it simple and local. Barton?
    What shops would you recommend that I visit in town? I am a VRC guy as well so any used shops or shops that have great/good collections of vintage stuff?
    Thanks again,
    Lawrence
  • 06-19-2012
    austin_bike
    I will be off work and riding the 26th through July 11th