Coming to Austin from CO- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Coming to Austin from CO

Ok this may sound weird. But I am thinking about heading from Gunnison, CO to Austin TX this week to do some warm weather riding. Anyone have any suggestions about places to ride and places to camp. Also any other must sees in town would be cool!
    jesus rides a fixed gear.

mtbr member
    I'll let the Austinites chime in on this one (calling Austin_Bike), since it's their own stomping ground, but feel free to use us as a reference for all the trail details, including how to get to 'em. (Hill Country Region)

Many of the state parks in the area allow camping, as to do some of the private ranches outside of Austin (i.e. Rocky Hill, et al).
    Pedigre

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Austin has some cool riding..you should also hit up Waco and ride Cameron Park ....rippin fun singletrack...

mtbr member
    if you ride Cameron Park, try to find someone to ride with who knows the area. calling it a spiderweb is an understatement.

in Austin, Emma Long (City) Park is a blast, but again, it can be a maze of trails at times.

also, I've heard the Barton Greenbelt is awesome but havent hit it personally

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I just visited Austin for two weeks from Toronto and had a great time riding both the Barton Creek Greenbelt and Walnut Creek in north-east Austin. I don't think you can camp in either though...hit up www.austinbike.com, it's got all the details about local trails and directions...enjoy your trip!

Currywurst
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sooner518
    if you ride Cameron Park, try to find someone to ride with who knows the area. calling it a spiderweb is an understatement.

in Austin, Emma Long (City) Park is a blast, but again, it can be a maze of trails at times.

also, I've heard the Barton Greenbelt is awesome but havent hit it personally
    the greenbelt is cool, and emma long is fun, ride the loop both ways, and i think you could probably camp there..if you do decide to ride camern park in waco, i could hook you up with some folks that know the trails really well..R

mtbr Buckeye...in Austin
    Definitely check out John's site. (www.austinbike.com)

Be sure to also post up on Austin Voodoo on the Bike Mojo board. You'll get lots of options and offers for tours.

I'm bikeless and taking the kids to FL for Spring Break or I'd tour ya.

Must rides:
    • join one of John's Greenbelt Tours (usually Sat or Sun)
    • City Park (Emma Long) for crazy Technical riding
    • some other "not to be named" trails are also available if you know the secret handshake and password.

Camping....good question. No clue on that one.
    HOPEFULLY going to rain this week 40%+ thru Saturday, but should clear up by the weekend. You can ride City Park in the rain. (that's the ONLY place you can ride in the rain or soon thereafter)

Members who have read this thread: 1