• 01-15-2012
    MD_TX
    Cold morning at Bluff Creek Ranch
    So one of the guys in our group found Bluff Creek Ranch and so we decided to give it a run this morning. We left Houston at 615am and got there around 730, and boy was it still cold! Some of the campers' cars were covered in frost along with much of the pastures. So we did the short loop since whoever riding lead didn't notice the sign at the fork in the road. We ended up doing another short trail near the check-in house and then wanted to go out for the long loop, but figured it wouldn't leave enough time to get back to Houston for the Texans game so we did another run of the loop we did early in the morning. Definitely fun and definitely a leg burner on some of those climbs. All the climbing makes the decents a lot of fun though. Wasn't able to keep speed on the downhills like the other guys who've been riding a while (I've only been riding since mid-Nov) but I thought if you just keep looking ahead and not down the hillside, it helps take the steepness out of perception. We rode til 1030 and made it back just in time for kick-off. Definitely recommend anyone looking for something different than the Houston trails to give it a shot.
  • 01-15-2012
    Bill in Houston
    thanks for the report. sounds like a cool place...
  • 01-16-2012
    Camel Toad
    Yeah that does sound cool. I want to ride there soon.

Also, you guys need to get DVRs! :D
  • 01-18-2012
    Urbansniper
    i have some buddies that are going to head out there soon.

how is the technical difficulty? any drops or abudant roots? just wondering if i should bring my full suspension bike vs hard-tail.

Thanks!
  • 01-18-2012
    MD_TX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    thanks for the report. sounds like a cool place...

-definitely a change of scenery if you're tired of the houston trails. Not too far of a drive either I guess.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    Yeah that does sound cool. I want to ride there soon.

Also, you guys need to get DVRs! :D

-well what's the point of DVR if all the guys are also texting you each time the Texans score/lose the ball? LOL The whole thing was to grill and have cold beer after a good ride.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urbansniper View Post
    i have some buddies that are going to head out there soon.

how is the technical difficulty? any drops or abudant roots? just wondering if i should bring my full suspension bike vs hard-tail.

Thanks!

-well I'm more of a beginner than anything, and I'd say that as long as this isn't the first couple times you've been on a bike, it shouldn't be overly difficult. There's a couple descents that are sort of steep for me, which I managed ok pretty much taking my time, going hard on the back brake and fingering the front. If you've done Anthills in Houston then I'd say it's maybe about a notch harder at the most? Yes, there are roots, fewer in number than anthills probably, but larger in size. My friend that has both a FS and HT decided to bring his FS. I only have a FS so not much of an option.
  • 01-19-2012
    Camel Toad
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MD_TX View Post
    well what's the point of DVR if all the guys are also texting you each time the Texans score/lose the ball? LOL The whole thing was to grill and have cold beer after a good ride

:thumbsup:

Most of my friends couldn't care less about football, so as long as I stay off facebook I am good to go.
  • 01-19-2012
    MD_TX
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    :thumbsup:

Most of my friends couldn't care less about football, so as long as I stay off facebook I am good to go.

haha. Sunday morning Biking/Beer is the weekly excuse to get together with the guys and away from wife/family for a little bit. Sunday Football helps to extend the time of that gathering LOL
  • 01-19-2012
    Urbansniper
    Quote:

-well I'm more of a beginner than anything, and I'd say that as long as this isn't the first couple times you've been on a bike, it shouldn't be overly difficult. There's a couple descents that are sort of steep for me, which I managed ok pretty much taking my time, going hard on the back brake and fingering the front. If you've done Anthills in Houston then I'd say it's maybe about a notch harder at the most? Yes, there are roots, fewer in number than anthills probably, but larger in size. My friend that has both a FS and HT decided to bring his FS. I only have a FS so not much of an option.

cool, thanks for letting me know. i like Terry hershy...so I am guessing we will have fun at bluff creek this weekend. i am looking forward to the downhill portions of the trail.
  • 01-19-2012
    MD_TX
    (extending my last post) Take the time while you are already out to watch the game live, as it might be harder to get back together with the guys to watch a DVR'ed game once you're home. LOL
  • 01-19-2012
    MD_TX
    Quote:

cool, thanks for letting me know. i like Terry hershy...so I am guessing we will have fun at bluff creek this weekend. i am looking forward to the downhill portions of the trail.

-if it's any bit warmer than the 33degrees it was the morning we rode out there, I'm sure you will have a blast.
  • 01-19-2012
    MD_TX
    Here's a short clip I put together showing some of the interesting parts of the trail. Sorry, not sure how to get the video to actually 'show up' in the reply so you'll have to go to the link to youtube.

Bluff Creek Ranch 1-15-12 - YouTube
  • 01-19-2012
    Urbansniper
    haha...nice "how to stop" :thumbsup:

on you tube, click the share and then the embed button for posting video on forums:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ih2wbAUAsU4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 01-19-2012
    Urbansniper
    that is a cool video editor you are using MD_TX.
    I have a gopro as well, and i'm just using microsoft movie maker.

I am currently trying to collect stunts and wrecks from our group...heheh. hopefully i will have something interesting to add from our trip to bluff creek.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9r-8IyLLcsQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

trails in the video: jack brooks, cypresswood & sugar land memorial
  • 01-19-2012
    MD_TX
    Quote:

that is a cool video editor you are using MD_TX.
    I have a gopro as well, and i'm just using microsoft movie maker.

-thanks, it's only the 3rd video I've made. I'm using iMovie on my mac, so that's where all the credit goes. I'm still trying to figure stuff out, especially the part about tying music into the clips.
  • 01-21-2012
    MD_TX
    Quote:

trails in the video: jack brooks, cypresswood & sugar land memorial

-curious, what type of mount are you using around the 13sec mark where you sort of the bars and cables? It seems pretty stable and not too shaky
  • 01-21-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

-curious, what type of mount are you using around the 13sec mark where you sort of the bars and cables? It seems pretty stable and not too shaky

Looks like a handlebar mount. Works well if your rider is smooth. If I try it, it swings back and forth and makes you dizzy. For me, you'd want a headtube/toptube mount. Smoother, but less responsive to quick changes in direction.
  • 01-23-2012
    Urbansniper
    Quote:

yo! i am using the gopro rollbar mount around the handle bar neck.

we had a good time at bluff creek...i liked gas pass alot:thumbsup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/sH3wV5Rms2M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  • 01-23-2012
    ArmySlowRdr
    Nice BCRWarda videos guys. Last year during the six hour whilst going town Gas Pass, somehow I remained on the trail, but my bike lay on a lower trail after jumping the rope barricade on the right hand side. Fun timesss :)