CHL while riding...?- Mtbr.com
    Come see me after class
    Dec 2005

CHL while riding...?

How do y'all carry while riding? I got an Airlite 342PD that can carry just about anywhere, including an under-saddle baggy thing, but I'm not sure that qualifies as on your person, and I don't like the idea of not having it actually on me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20 View Post
    How do y'all carry while riding? I got an Airlite 342PD that can carry just about anywhere, including an under-saddle baggy thing, but I'm not sure that qualifies as on your person, and I don't like the idea of not having it actually on me.

What state? (duh, Texas, didn't see where you posted until after my reply) Are you worried about the law when carrying in the bag or just carrying in that style?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Never had the need in Southern New England but I would if there were critters that want to eat me on the trails. Lots of deer, turkeys, an occasional bobcat or fox around here. Further north there's Moose and Black Bears which could be a problem. If they are spooked they can get nasty. Out West Grizzly's and mountain lions would concern me!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alexrex20 View Post

Try going without it for an hour or two while riding....

mtbr member
    I have thought about it but I do like to keep my pack and what I carry as light as possible so it stays in the truck.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I like to think of myself as a gazelle when Iím on a mountain bike. I rely on my agility and speed to get me out of sticky situations. When thatís failed of course Iíve got my good looks and sense of humor. No gun needed yet!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Most of the time when you come across a situation in Texas that you will need a gun you are going to need it a hell of a lot faster than you can generally get it out of a backpack/hydration pack, saddle bag, or fanny pack. I think carrying a gun while mountain biking is silly and I'm a gun owner with a CHL. I'd rather carry bear spray to make something run away versus get pissed off and run at you before it dies. I've been charged by a wild boar while hunting after I had shot it and it came within 5 feet of me before it collapsed. With a handgun small enough to safely and comfortably carry on a bike, I'd just go without and depend on speed, bear spray and the fact that most of the places I ride are populated enough not to have animals large enough not to be scared of me.

Hitching a ride
    It's not a CHL; it's an LTC. Open carry OWB or IWB, full size 9mm. Why are you guys so concerned about concealment on the trail? No one cares what you have on your hip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ride somewhere where you don't need to be strapped. Oh, there are no grizzlies in Texas? Then, you're good to go without a gun.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    If you ride with a hydration pack, one approach is to use one of the quick access fanny packs. Instead of strapping it around your waist, strap it around the upper part of the hydration pack so that when you're riding, you have relatively quick access to it.

Hitching a ride
    Quote Originally Posted by CWnSWCO View Post
    Ride somewhere where you don't need to be strapped. Oh, there are no grizzlies in Texas? Then, you're good to go without a gun.
    Just going to Lubys for a little lunch? No need to be strapped.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Grew up in chicago. My garage door had ďthe Latin kings are pussiesĒ on it. Seen my share of dicey neighborhoods.

Mountain biking for 20+ years in Texas. Never needed a gun.

Relax. Breathe deep. Enjoy the trails.
    Austin Mountain Biking and worldwide travel pictures:

http://www.austinbike.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    There's no good answer. If you ride somewhere it won't cause undue probems open carry with a chest rig is probably the way to go. If you have to worry about dangerous wildlife it might be worth it.

Hill people gear makes a concealed chest rig that's got pretty good reviews but unfortunately has a "tactical" look.

Having it in a backpack is worse than useless. You can't get to it if you need it but if you crash its there to hurt you. Same problem with the fanny pack and pockets to a lesser degree.

Leaving it in your vehicle at the trailhead is not the most responsible thing to do either.

Decide for yourself if it's worth the trouble while mountain biking.

Hitching a ride
    Right, because nothing bad ever happens in Austin. Just be careful opening the mail.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have a concealed carry license as well.

However I have found having a gun is sort of like the food in your fridge at night, when you wake up hungry you choose an option from the fridge cause those are your obvious choices. When you have a gun you choose it as the option when rarely is it the best choice. JMHO.

I think your brain will get you out of a lot more shit than a handgun will. And frankly, there isn't anything sketchy happening on our trails besides pet owners leaving turds everywhere (for the record, they do DESERVE to be shot).

~ take care

mtbr member
    I have an LTC, and do carry. When mountain biking, it's not so much that I want or need to carry while on a trail riding. For me, there are considerations. When I am out to go riding, I'm usually also going other places before and after, so I may be armed. As such, I prefer not to leave a weapon in my vehicle while riding, even though it's in a bolted down out of sight locked gun safe.

So in regards to the OP's question... how to you carry when riding?

I never carry on my body. I'm not concerned about it going off in a wreck, but am concerned about cold hard steel impaling my body when (not if! ) I land on it. I always place it in an outer part of my hydration pack. Sure, can't get to it quickly, but as mentioned, I'm not as concerned about needing it on the trail as much as I am about leaving it my vehicle.

I did think about an ankle holster. Yeah, it would be "on my body", although in an area that would be less impacted in a crash. But it would add a lot of rotational mass to pedaling. Also... since we here in Texas ride in shorts year 'round, it would be open carry. Although legal (with an LTC), it may cause some to be uncomfortable. Not to mention, it may look kinda dorky... and THAT's important!

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I carry a HK P2000SK in a small fanny pack on the strong side. I also carry pepper spray and a Spyderco Para 2 with me thus my pistol is not my only option for self defense.

For those that think that you don't need to carry when biking/skiing/etc., it can happen anywhere anytime... I am sure the rider that got eaten by a mountain lion recently wishes she had a gun right before she lost her life.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...ornia-attacks/

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Copying my post from another thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by willawry'd View Post
    I choose to cc (while riding) for my own reasons but if i oc'd, I would use a level 2 (or 3) retention holster with a thumb indexed release...like the Safariland with ALS.

Started with hydration/fanny pack carry but found that to be practically/tactically useless.

Pocket carried for a few years but the holstered gun would flop around and occasionally orientate itself into a difficult position to draw.

Now I cc iwb using a kydex holster with an Ulticlip. The retention on this is good enough that I dumped the little 380 and now carry a S&W Shield 40. The Kydex does not bother my skin (and I'm a ginger w/ sensitive skin).

Holster: https://www.cooksholsters.com/ulticlip-iwb-holster/
    Utiliclip: https://www.ulticlip.com/

mtbr member
    I use a Hill People Gear Snubby Kit Bag when I ride. Carry a Glock 19 with an extra mag and surefire E1B.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../1/ProductID/6
    God Fearin', Rock'N Rollin', Gun Totin' Texan!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by TxVeno View Post
    I use a Hill People Gear Snubby Kit Bag when I ride. Carry a Glock 19 with an extra mag and surefire E1B.

https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/.../1/ProductID/6
    Do you ride with it and a hydration pack at the same time?

mtbr member
    Yes.
    God Fearin', Rock'N Rollin', Gun Totin' Texan!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Thanks. I'll have to give that a try for more convenient access. I don't normally use the hydration pak cross-chest strap and that pack's shoulder straps look like they're further in so they probably won't cause the pak's shoulder straps to slide around.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'd be into a velcro mace strapped to the frame of my wife's bike.

Anyone know where to buy something like that?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I carry a S&W M&P Shield in a Blackhawk Serpa. The Shield is a great EDC gun and it's barely noticeable. As for why? Well, the most important reason is it's my right as a law abiding citizen in the great state of Texas, I carry EVERYWHERE. Also, I work 3rd shift and keep my sleep schedule on my nights off so I go to bed at 5-6-7 a.m. and sleep all day til 3-4. I regularly do rides on the road in my neighborhood at 3-4-5 in the morning, there is much less traffic and it's much cooler. I have been chased by dogs and eyeballed by some shifty looking individuals that appeared to be sleeping in the woods while riding on a bike path in a greenbelt. Also, a few weeks back the police chopper showed up and was circling my neighborhood about 2 a.m. I talked to one of the COPs and the Mesquite police chased a guy into my town, Garland. He jumped out of the vehicle and ran into a creek bottom a few blocks from my house, the same creek bottom I had just ridden through a half hour before. I would imagine that dude might have wanted my bike had we crossed paths, I would have ended their chase right then.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I do sometimes. I usually carry a Glock 32. I need to get something smaller for my frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    I do sometimes. I usually carry a Glock 32. I need to get something smaller for my frame.
    As mentioned above, a M&P Shield is NICE, single stack thin and easily concealed.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    As mentioned above, a M&P Shield is NICE, single stack thin and easily concealed.
    I have friends that highly recommend that one.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.