ChainRing Size - Houston- Mtbr.com
    Krafcik

ChainRing Size - Houston

I'm build a Vassago Jabberwocky - I would like to know what size chainring my fellow SS'rs are using in Texas

thanks

Feb 2009
    I'm using a 32:18 currently in Lubbock. Our local trails aren't too tough, but they do have some steep technical sections that can be a b%^&* with a 32:16.

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    Just picked up a Haro Mary SS a few weeks ago which I believe is a 32-20 and so far no complaints. Have ridden the anthills several times with it and the gearing seems pretty spot on. Mem Park is pretty comperable so I don't forsee any probs there either.

Krafcik
    I'll be doing most of my riding at Terry Hirshi and probably Huntsville State Park

TXAG
    Oct 2005
    When you say Terry Hershey do you mean the paved hike and bike trail or the anthills (mtb singletrack) on the other side of the bayou? I rode a little on the paved trail headed over to el bano and had a little of a hard time a few times because coming down the hills I just did not have a big enough gear to sustain the speed but no big deal. I didn't buy my ss to ride in the park, it is meant to be ridden in the dirt.

Krafcik
    I'll be doing both - depends if the wife is with me or not!

mtbr member
    Old post, I know, but someone may come across it in a search...

For Houston area on a 29er (OP mentioned Vassago Jabberwocky): 32-18, or 34-19 is tough to beat. Should be able to clean everything at Jack Brooks, Anthills, Memorial, or Huntsville, while still having enough top end to make it fun. Need to gear up for Double Lake (like 34-17 or 32-16). These ratios are for regular mortals--if you're a monster, then adjust accordingly.

mtbr member
    32-17

Members who have read this thread: 0