Camp/Bike Trails near dallas- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Camp/Bike Trails near dallas

My friends and I are planning to go camping in april. I been looking for camp grounds with a nice MTB trail nearby. I live in Garland and been riding in Rowlett Preserve Creek and its always a blast. Im looking for a camp site, maybe close to the waters or with scenic views but also accessible to clean showers and bathrooms and lots of activities. I have been looking at Eisenhower State Park and from my understanding they have an 8 mile trail ride? hows the trail and the camp grounds? im also looking at Ray Roberts/Isle du bois trail. Has anyone experienced camp/bike from these locations? are there any other recommendable camp/bike locations close to dallas? thanks in advance

Jan 2005
    You might look into Cedar Hill State Park. I haven't been camping or riding there, but I HAVE been doing a lot of ecology work there for the past year. I live in Houston, and most of my trips there are day trips (via Continental), so I never get to take my bike.

I've checked out their facilities (showers, bathrooms, campsites), and everything is clean and in good condition. DORBA has built about 15 miles worth of mtb. trails out there...I've walked the majority of the trails. I think if you have above intermediate skills, the trails would be a blast to ride. The east side of the park butts up against Joe Poole Lake. Not very picturesque, but at least you have water to look at. Cedar Hill SP also houses some of the last remaining tallgrass prairies in the area.

Here's their website: http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/f...ks/cedar_hill/

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

MTB and camping

Hi,
    i live in El Paso but visits Dallas area alot. My friend's sister lives in Wylie and we usually
    ride at Rowlett Creek and Cedar Hill State Park. Cedar Creek has good camping sites and
    shower room. Another place to try is Tyler State Park, good camping and nice single tracks. They have a small nice lake for swimming, excellent showers and barbeque
    restaurant outside the park. I think it's still too cold to take a swim next month but MTB
    will be great. Tyler State Park is 2 hours away from Wylie. Planning of going again in May for the long Memorial weekend. Rowlett creek is a fun trail.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    IDB on Ray Roberts is a rocky trail. I like the other side of the lake better, Johnson Branch. It has a better flow, and although it is rocky ( not as much as IDB ) it's a fun trail. I don't know about the camping though.

mtbr member
    Camping at JB is good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I second Johnson Branch at Lake Ray Roberts north of Denton. You'll have all the amenities of a state park & the trails are geared for all skill levels. The Red trail is very rocky & is not the most pleasant of rides on a HT but us doable. Another option for camping & cycling is Bar-H ranch 20 miles west of Gainsville, TX. There is a TMBRA race the weekend of 4/22-23 so the trails should be in pretty good shape over the next few weeks as we get it ready for the race. There are hot showers, though not the same par of a state park and there are electrical & water hookups. The view is amazing at the top of "Horseshoe"! If you post up on the DORBA forum, I'm sure you can find someone to hook up with & take you around the trails if you want.

Members who have read this thread: 0