Cameron Park Waco- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Cameron Park Waco

I love these trails, but I don't think they like me. I fell going down Vortex this week soon as I heal ill need to get back on it so I don't get a mental block

I see so many guys that must be 20+ years my age out there on 29'ers ripping it up and down and all over Cameron Park and they don't look like their even sweatin, I mean these guys must have incredible endurance.
    I can barely make 1 climb up Tar Hill, Shyst, or Act of Faith without stopping to break and huffing and puffing like im about to blow 3 little pigs house down, someone please tell me it's the 29" wheels.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    My goal is still to make it up Act of Faith without stopping for a breather. I'm getting better at it.

I've noticed a big difference when the trails are slightly muddy or wet from when completely dry.

I'm still very much a beginner so I tend to keep to the easy trails. Act of Faith is my first and really only one I've worked on. A friend is wanting me to try other trails and I will when they dry out more.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    AoF is a fun trail to climb, fun to go down too although I going down Speed Run, and I have heard of crashes on AoF.

when its wet out there i get lost cuz things look different haha

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I crashed once on AoF. Ground was still a bit muddy and started to lose control. It was either hit a tree or go over the handlebars.

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    I had the privelage of living in Waco for about a year and I was in the best riding shape Iíve ever been in because of those trails. Unfortunately I had to move on and I havenít been there for a few years. That place is a real butt kicker. I donít remember all the trail names but hereís a few I really enjoyed: Highlander, California 56, powder monkey/outback, vortex, sidewinder, so much great trail there!

My buddy and I used to hike up bat cave and wonder who would ride such a trail, and we used to hike up to below loverís leap from river trail.

That place is just awesome and I miss it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FeedTheWolf View Post
    I had the privelage of living in Waco for about a year and I was in the best riding shape Iíve ever been in because of those trails. Unfortunately I had to move on and I havenít been there for a few years. That place is a real butt kicker. I donít remember all the trail names but hereís a few I really enjoyed: Highlander, California 56, powder monkey/outback, vortex, sidewinder, so much great trail there!

My buddy and I used to hike up bat cave and wonder who would ride such a trail, and we used to hike up to below loverís leap from river trail.

I can hardly say living in Waco is a privilege but I agree the trails here are great.

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    I am a big fan of Waco but I have never lived there, just visited.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    I can hardly say living in Waco is a privilege but I agree the trails here are great.

If youíre big into MTB then the trails alone make it worth it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2018

When it hadn't rained and I park at Redwood shelter and start up Cali 56 to Sidewinder cut across to Tar Hill then down Speed Run then over to Twin bridges to Drain Pipe and climb Erect then down Vortex to Powder monkey then cut to Webber Run and Torquer then over to Kidney and Powerline and make my way back to Cali 56, for me the climbs are tough on this route but these trails are alot of fun.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron Park Waco-cali-56-pm.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    When it hadn't rained and I park at Redwood shelter and start up Cali 56 to Sidewinder cut across to Tar Hill then down Speed Run then over to Twin bridges to Drain Pipe and climb Erect then down Vortex to Powder monkey then cut to Webber Run and Torquer then over to Kidney and Powerline and make my way back to Cali 56, for me the climbs are tough on this route but these trails are alot of fun.
    Youíre missing out on Highlander! Lol I know the switchback part is ridiculously hard if youíre climbing. What was that trail that was attached to Highlander? Hale Bop? Whichever it was, it was fun if you were going downhill! I think the way it was laid out, entering from the college campus and Lake Wood Dr, you would ride a small part of river trail then cut off to Highlander, or Hale Bop, but I always chose Highlander. Hale Bop was more fun going that direction though, if you chose it instead of Highlander, rather than taking it TO Highlander if you were coming from the interior of the park. At least from what I remember. I know it sounds kinda confusing and Iím kind of rambling but man I really do miss that place. And now we never wanna go there because if you arenít in good climbing shape itís really tough!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    If youíre big into MTB then the trails alone make it worth it!

There I agree with you. I just think of the rest of Waco and shudder.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    here's Cameron Park on Trailforks

I like using Trailforks to see Trails, however when riding I use Strava

I wish one of the Veteran Cameron Park Mountain Bikers would hold some training sessions to teach beginners how to ride Cameron Park, anyone out there with amazing patience and some motivational skills
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cameron Park Waco-cameron-park-trailforks.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I'd attend one of those sessions. Be pretty nice.

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Finally had a chance to ride Cameron Park!! Did a preride last Saturday the Raced on Sunday. The Downhill runs are fun and the climbs will beat ya up a bit. Vortex was a blast, slapped a tree pretty hard shattering end 2 inches of my carbon bars and got my right hip pretty hard also but managed to keep it rubber side down.

Cool place to ride but the straight line hill climbs such.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Vortex is fun. Act of Faith is a blast as long as the trail is dry.

Will swerve for leaves.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    WBC and the Ranch at Cameron Park have been doing alot of work out there, and although I love Vortex, Colorado, Speed Run, and going down Kidney, I think my new favorite is around Phoenix and Arizona and hitting that small trail with the 2 drops and wooden berm into Weber Run.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The new trails on The Ranch are a blast. I really love the berms on Phoenix (and table top) which I've noticed have helped me stay off the brakes in corners that are either mildly bermed or not at all. The jump lines are fun, too, but I barely jump. Just roll'em with a bit of speed getting my comfort levels up. I love that one steep wooden roller that starts the line out.

I've noticed some new trails that look like they're slowly being built. I haven't had a ride in almost 2 weeks so not sure if they're cut yet or not. I'm anxious to get back out there soon!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    I haven't rode at the Ranch since Halloween. I really need to get back to that section.
    Will swerve for leaves.

Hitching a ride
    Rode it last summer. I recall it being a maze of poorly marked and poorly designed trails. Highlander was the exception, very good though short. Place could use a huge renovation.

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Schulze View Post
    Rode it last summer. I recall it being a maze of poorly marked and poorly designed trails. Highlander was the exception, very good though short. Place could use a huge renovation.
    I do wish the trails were marked better as well. I know there has been an issue with vandals doing damage to the park over the years.
    Will swerve for leaves.